Mastermind Creations Carnifex (Overlord)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Sep 28, 2013.

1. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Its an original design with nods to both versions of the character but primarily pulls more from IDW than G1.

Proportionally, in terms of shapes, details and certainly in terms of his head sculpt especially his is far far more idw than he is g1. But don't forget that the idw design was really just an artistically stylized version of the g1 with more distinct features so this figure can easily pass as both iterations of the character, its only personal nitpicks that determine otherwise.

G1 Overlord was very very thick in the torso and limbs, IDW overlord is much slender and that body type is more strongly represented in mmc's design.

Regardless of all that I'd still love to see two versions, 1 idw colored, 1 g1. Because each deco has its own feel and different look going on.

2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Do actual geewunners even care about Overlord, don't they only care about guys like Starscream and Prowl ?

Anyway, would the inclusion of powermaster engines be such an affront to his IDW-ness ? Because if you want this design for a G1 shelf you can't really argue about colours so the only demand could be powermasters.

3. Sertile

Sertile Well-Known Member

As a big Masterforce fan, I care about Overlord. I'm not going to freak out if they release him in IDW colors, but it'll be nice if they do a more G1 option later, like they did with Sixshot.

4. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This dude is pretty damn IDW. No additional 'identity' needed.

5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Im g1 and i love masterforce. Never even read an idw comic that didnt come with a figure. That doesnt matter cause this figure looks awesome. Overlord is a bamf no matter where hes from idw, marvel, dreamwave who cares its an awesome figure. Btw giga and mega were killed were they not? Overlord doesn't need those flesh creatures

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    No.

Overlord is pretty much G1 to me, if only for the original toy and G1 Masterforce.

I certainly don't hate this figure, but if I would have to choose any Overlord, I'd pick Iron Factory's Evil Lord > Carnifex.

7. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

Figure is amazing, haters gonna hate.

8. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Lovers gonna love, i dont even want none of the above. I want to piss on you drip drip drip. Coming fresh out the kitchen this is a song about pissing. Cant believe the Chapelle show was that long ago geez where does the time go

9. lucas maximus

lucas maximus Need more Kain...

Yes...

10. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

Yes, clearly Cantifex is designed to represent IDW Overlord with a couple of liberties here and there. As it has been mentioned, IDW Overlord is also based on the G1 character so by default this toy tributes both.

However the intent here is to make an IDW Overlord from Last Stand of the Wreckers. That means that the first should be the comic colors. Giga and Mega are more or less 'bonuses' if included and not a must.

What I don't want to see is people demanding G1 atributes on character interpreatations that are clearly meant to represent IDW comics. Examples of this in the past has been the demand for Azalea to have a pink geewun face and the removal of painted highlight from Hexatron.

These toys, specially Azalea were meant to represent IDW designs NOT G1 so please no more geewun demands. There are already other toys that cater to G1 accuracy.

11. NemesisAngel

NemesisAngel Well-Known Member

That's a stupid and counterproductive thing to wish for. More g1 = more sales. Even 3rd parties have said this.

12. Predacon

Why is it stupid to ask for comic colors for a clearly intended comic based designed?

If G1 is such a requirement, then make a G1 MP style Overlord and don't bother with makring a toy in the IDW style.

13. Hybrid Style

Hybrid Style AKA: TheFallen

News Credits:
    It is a know fact* that every 3rd Party Company, plus Hasbro/Takara should cater to my every whim.

*Known only to those on this side of the keyboard

14. wolfx

wolfx Well-Known Member

15. NemesisAngel

NemesisAngel Well-Known Member

People are going to ask for things you don't like regardless. In my case if I was asking for an alteration relating to this figure it's because if I don't see enough of what I like I'm not going to buy it. We're not guaranteed a remold or repaint so it would be a shame not to buy the best looking overlord around because I didn't like the comic queues enough. That said it'll be even easier to say no to this thing if it ends up being +$250.

16. Predacon

If you don't see enough of what you like then perhaps the toy was not meant for you?

17. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

The toy is what it is, a piece of plastic designed to appeal to the broadest audience possible. I want an IDW Overlord, not a Materforce one, but if MMC wants to give it more Masterforce touches then so be it. The appeal of this toy isn't so precariously balanced for me that a shift in design one way or another will ruin it for me. And I'd prefer the most people possible get a product they are happy with, not just a smaller audience who really want their version.

But we have done enough sniping at each other in this thread, myself included, at other collectors' likes that we should really stop. We're not all going to agree, and we should really stop recommending other versions of the character to people. We all picked this version for a reason. So let MMC do what they want, because they are here to make money and that will come from the broadest appeal and not what one or two people think the design should he like. MMC ain't about making a few people's dreams come true, they about money. Hard as that is to accept sometimes.

18. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Why not include a head with smaller lips?

I hope that didn't offend anyone but IDW Overlord's lips are massive.

19. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    i think id prefer two separate versions, so each could focus on its representation instead of compromising and mixing both.
    i can also see (at least from my perspective) this being a viable option as a repaint, including godmasters and a new head and minor/appropriate paint changes for a godmasters version.
    and it seems like more people would probably would buy that instead of a black repaint of OL.
    but i do want my idw overlord to be as idw overlord as possible.
    and with two penguins, pls.

20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Then I got some bad news for you, because Masterforce Overlord was a towering giant, IDW Overlord not so much. This toy is towering.