Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Nerroth, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Engineer of the Pandemocalypse

I finally finished my play through tonight. The ending was pretty good. Some of the decisions you make determine who shows up for the push to the final confrontation. Hint: be sure to take plenty of Cobra RPGs into the final fight(s). They make quick work of tough enemies like the orb/shield guys (HATE those guys).

Overall, I liked ME:A, but it felt bloated to me. Too many fetch quests, only 20-25% of which contribute to planetary/Heleus viability beyond what you get by simply doing the main planetary quests and priority ops. As somewhat of a completionist, this made the game overwhelming to me. I have over 100 hours into the game, and I was happy to get it done. I skipped most of the quests which wanted me to find things at random locations on planets, without quest markers. I did one of these on Voeld to get a missing data core that I read was located in a Kett-controlled Remnant structure, and I vowed not to do any more of them. Major time sink with no meaningful payoff. I feel the game would've been great if they focused on making all of the quests meaningful with quality content, rather than a large quantity of 'ticking off waypoints on a map', and 'shooting a few bad guys here and there.'

There are a lot of loose ends that will hopefully get tied up in DLC or a sequel. I just hope that an expansion gives us the option to go onto the Tempest while in port. It's stipud that the game requires you to take off from the planet just to advance a quest on that planet, only to land again after checking email. Shouldn't we be conserving fuel or something? This, and the crafting/inventory system needs a big overhaul for a sequel. Tons of armor and weapon options, but none of them stick out as being particularly effective. I like to play as a soldier, but it seems the combat dynamics favor biotics and engineers.

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Just finished the game last night with 97% completion. I definately enjoyed it for the most part. I am glad they touched on the
    Quarian Ark, as I was earlier questioning where it was.

Biggest mystery:
    How the hell did a dying old woman, beat up a young man, steal a shuttle, that is now damaged, doesn't have hyperdrive, manage to travel across several systems, and outrun the fastest ship in Heleus, with only a short head start?!

3. Sinestro00

For that quest
    I accidentally got her shot through the chest (oops!)
    Yet another reason why I don't really like the dialog options. I wish it were clear what the repercussions may be for each choice, like we had with paragon and renegade.

4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    New patch today, with a whole new slew of improvements to single and multiplayer.

5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  6. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Well fuuuuuuck.

I blame EA.

7. Sinestro00

I wonder if any potential DLC for Andromeda is already ready, or if this would push any potential DLC back a significant amount? There are a fair number of unresolved plot points at the end of the game, any of which could be addressed in DLC or a sequel.

8. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    *cough cough Quarian ark cough*

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the Hanar, Elcor, and Volus though. I think one of the reason I liked Andromeda, and what helped make it feel fresh, was that it was just the four races plus the Angara.

9. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I'm just hoping that this game gets any form of DLC at all. Cause the whole Bioware downsizing thing has cast doubt over it for me.

10. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

To be fair, even thought I eventually started enjoying it, andromeda doesn't even stack up to the worst content in trilogy. The team absolutely butchered a lot of what makes mass effect mass effect, ignored parts of lore, and on top of it all made a game with so many bugs even Bethesda wouldn't release it, and to top that even the worst flow of any game I've played. (Leaving a planet to read an email to land back on the sameness planet to leave the planet to go to another planet to land, etc. so many cutscenes, tempest needed accused without taking off, end of story.)

On the other side, it had moments I enjoyed, characters I liked, and I had hoped a sequel could redeem it.

11. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Ignored parts of the lore?

12. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

Mostly the part that ME3 set up in its genophage cured extended ending, where Females became more part of their hierarchy again and brought back more culture to the krogan. Their forcing female krogan into big leadership positions in this one and making them exact same as the males hurt that outlook. I know they left before the cure, but it was implied the krogan ended up where they are because of the genophage reducing women of their societies voices by making them just used more as breeders. With a female overlord I wanted to see krogans being artistic, bringing back settlements like the ancient city in 3, especially since they
    cured their own genophage it appears.
    , allowing us to see into a more civilized krogan infastructed.

There were a few others, but almost everything they ham fisted related to such things are mostly because of gender politics so I won't go any further here.

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  15. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Honestly I couldn't care less about the Quarian Ark, all I wanted to know was WHO THE HELL THE BENEFACTOR WAS and why Garson was killed

But it is a shame if they do put the franchise on hold, does anyone know what the current sales figures are? They have to be low, if I recall correctly the critical reception of the game was mixed to alright, so sales had to be much lower than they were expecting for this to be happening

16. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  17. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    While I did enjoy the game after getting all the patches, I think in the end I have a really sour feeling about the whole thing, even with remembering my Nomad shitnanigans

18. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this, up until about a few weeks ago I was extremely eager to see a follow up to ME:A, whether that be in the form of dlc or a sequel, as I desperately wanted to get answers to many issues raised in the game (Quarian Ark, the benefactor, the scourge origins, Kett origin, etc etc), and I actually genuinely liked some of the crew.

This has since changed however since I decided to go back and replay the OT for the first time in 2 years, and Jesus Christ, I never knew just how much I missed everything, the Citadel, Omega, Illium, the multitude of mysterious planet descriptions that just added to the setting, all of the races and individuals you could meet and talk to, SHEPARD, and I never realised just how much better the OT squadmates were written, even in just ME1. So when I attempted to replay ME:A again, I just couldn't, nothing about it is Mass Effect to me anymore. So I've basically gone from wanting a sequel set in Andromeda, to no longer being interested in that story at all, and if they ever do go back to Mass effect, which I'm sure they will eventually, I'll be very unlikely to buy it unless it's back in the milky way.

Although it'd be kind of ironic if they went back to the Milky Way in the next game with regards to how similar it is to the actual story of ME:A, just like the Andromeda Initiative, thousands of people travelled to a new Galaxy to start a brand new adventure, only to be completely forgotten by the rest of us

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  19. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still need to finish this game. After about 10 hours or so of time, I just kind of lost interest.

20. Omegashark18

News Credits: