Mass Effect 3: SPOILER TAG YOUR STUFF OR FACE THE ANGRY MOB

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by GogDog, Apr 10, 2011.

1. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

I don't think the Modern Warfare 3 players migrated to this game yet.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Multiplayer will NOT effect single player my ASS!!

After 3 times through and doing everything possible it still only took 25 hrs each.

Now i am forced to play a crappy MP to get two of the achievements.

What really pisses me off is all of my choices over the last two games(and 100's of hrs) had minimal to no major impact on the endings or story.

3. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

the ending to me feels like a nightmare that just wont go away... heres hoping BW plan something substantial to address/change the ending.... goddamn
    starchild. and there is no way the Normandy would abandon shepard like that...

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Time will tell.

5. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

:: When Butt hurt fans get their cake ::

BioWare Is Working on a Modified Mass Effect 3 Ending

Calling criticism of Mass Effect 3's ending "incredibly painful," the co-founder of BioWare, the studio behind the game, said today that changes for the game's conclusion are in the works.

He promises an update on those plans next month.

"Since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game—industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few," BioWare's Ray Muzyka said in a post on the company's official forums. "The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I'm honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

"To that end, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You'll hear more on this in April. We're working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we've received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue." [Emphasis added by Kotaku]"

Many Mass Effect 3 fans have been complaining about the game's ending just about since the game launched earlier this month. (See the endings here. Warning: they're full of spoilers.) They've complained that it failed to give the multi-game, multi-year saga closure. Opinions have been sharply divided, even among writers of this site. One writer was for it. One was against.

Some fans started a petition, imploring BioWare to change the ending. Others complained to the federal government.

Muzyka's statement highlights the conundrum BioWare faces: maintain the artistic integrity of their work or accede to fan demands. It's possible in an interactive medium that the two are not incompatible. That's what BioWare will have to figure out now.

Muzyka didn't just extend critics of the ending an olive branch. He also had a word for those who have gotten nasty:

"Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary."

Muzyka's full note is worth a read. It's gracious but not a full acquiescence. It reads like the note of someone who's felt some hurt about this and wants to improve his team's game while maintaining a positive relationship with fans. Is there a way that everyone can win? We will find out in April.

We've been asking BioWare for at least a week to comment on the ending. We're happy to see them break their silence.

Cerberus Says: BioWare Is Working on a Modified Mass Effect 3 Ending

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Sour Base: To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare | BioWare Blog

Things learned from the Mass Effect 3 debacle

- Thank God these idiots weren't with the herd bitching about MGS2 back in 01'. Kojima would have trolled you even harder.

6. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
  7. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

8. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

I want Bioware, to give these idiots the Ultimate Troll ; for Easter this April 2012.

9. WTDylio

News Credits:
    What the hell?!?? That's fucking terrible. I can understand why Childs play has stopped taking donations though, but....how can people ask for their money back?!?!?!?
    That said, I think RTM made enough, $80,000 in just 9 days is certainly impressive, and their FB sites states that they're organising to donate to a new charity

10. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Question regarding ME1 Rachni Queen decision:

If you don't save the Rachni Queen in the first game, will you not come across Grunt in ME3 if he survived ME2?

What if you did save the Rachni Queen, but Grunt died at the end of ME2, who takes his place in that mission?

11. WTDylio

News Credits:
    Yes, you will still meet Grunt even if you didn't save the queen, however instead of the actual queen you'll come across a reaper-built one

If Grunt didn't survive, he'll be replaced by someone called Urdnot Dagg

12. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

You will meet Grunt in ME3 if he survived ME2, whether you saved the queen or not. And if hes dead, Urdnot Dagg takes his place.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Get out of here with this nonsense, you're trolling, plain and simple and it won't be tolerated at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  14. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

so after knocking out all side missions i finally finished the game..i dont see what all this fuss is about the ending...it left it open for more to come and i didnt feel as more needed to be said knowing DLCs are on the way..i was kinda dissappointed by the final choices..they all felt so damn concrete with no other options...so i guess i can see y so many felt upset..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  15. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @ WTDylio & ArmadaJetfire

Thanks for the answers!
    A reaper built queen sounds interesting.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Asking for money back after giving it to Child's Play as a donation is the act of a bastard and invalidates the outrage they claim to have.

I didn't like the ending, but I like this behavior even fucking less!

17. WTDylio

News Credits:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    If you save the rachni queen, and save her again in ME3, the rachni are a war asset to you.

Also,
    Did anyone else's jaw drop when the thresher maw took down that reaper?

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I want to read about what, exactly, happened with the money first. I read somewhere else that it has been 'appropriated' and if that's the case...Then the people who donated have every right to ask it back because it's not EA's money.

Also, this is interesting. Supposedly it's from one of the Bioware writers who posts on the Penny Arcade forums, but that post has since been deleted:

20. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

DLC would and should not be the way to properly end a series it should be in the main game to begin with, that said I think the unanswered questions were a set up for the next mass effect game not so much dlc.