Minor/Repaint: Mashup! Topspin (MechTech + Studio Series)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by greboguru, May 9, 2021.

1. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

I just opened Studio Series Topspin, and... wow. I's terrible. I mean it has nice detailing, but the figure is stubby and poses badly and has those awful rubber weapons and it's all just yucky. I do like the arms and the head, though.

Then it occurred to me: the things I like least about the 2011 MechTech Deluxe are the head and the arms. So I popped some ball joints, swapped the head and arms, and immediately knew I was on to something.

EDIT: I've added lots more photos (dig this thumbnail) in posts later on in this thread

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.56.05 PM.jpg

Anyway!

image1 copy.jpeg
    image0 copy.jpeg
    One transformation later, I found had to do a little surgery on the SS arms' shoulders. There's no going back from this, but I really feel nothing for the Studio Series toy, so it's no loss. Turns out it it works. There's even plenty of room to store the rubber claws (though I don't intend to keep them).

image0.jpeg

The vehicle mode is a little crowded, but I think it's mainly the larger head that's making things ornery. The arms actually work fine -- there's juuuuuuuuust enough clearance for the shoulders. Other than that, I think it's a vast improvement. I'm gonna go back and do more fine tuning, but I just had to share.

image1.jpeg
    I never liked the MechTech weapon, so I use one of Prime Bumblebee's guns. (Actually, I'm gonna get another and stack it on the hood, so there can be one twin-barrel gun for each forearm -- they look similar enough to those ugly forearm claws.)

image2.jpeg

ADDENDUM: I've fiddled around with this custom more, and the Studio Series head is a bit too big -- specifically, the "mullet" goes too far back -- for an easy fit in vehicle mode. I hated to do it, but I trimmed some material off the bottom back edge of the mullet and the fit has improved. I'll post more pics later.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
  2. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice work!

• Like Like x 2
  3. greboguru

Thank you!
    I do think that DNA Design DK-22 "Gear Master" upgrade set looks like it does a lot to improve SS Topspin... Not sure now if I should regret chopping mine up, LOL!

4. Rafael_Oliveira

Rafael_Oliveira Oliver Raf Studio

Now we just need to see the worst version with the leftover parts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. greboguru

Haha! I can try to do that

• Like Like x 1
  6. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

this is cool, better than both of them separately

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rafael_Oliveira

Looking forward to it. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Uniswipe1984

Uniswipe1984 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks awesome, contemplating on getting an ss topsin just for this

• Like Like x 1
  9. greboguru

Now that is high praise! Thank you :D 

10. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    And the studio series with the dorm arms and hoead, how does it look? I guess it doesnt transform

11. greboguru

OK, I've completed (for now) fine-tuning this custom, so it's time for more pictures!

IMG_5072.JPG IMG_5073.JPG

Above you can see that I shaved off material from the Studio Series figure's shoulders (namely all of the ball socket that mounts the car's side panels/robot's "shields"). I also shaved off more material from the back of the Studio Series figure's "mullet." More of detail of that below:

IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5075.JPG

With that much material shaved off the shoulders and head, the transformation works perfectly. Nothing gets in the way, the head snuggles in behind the close shoulders and they gave clearance from the surface. Everything fits just right.

IMG_5065.JPG IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5063.JPG IMG_5064.JPG

As you can see, there's even room in the trunk to store those crummy soft-rubber claws that came with the Studio Series figure. Also, I managed to acquire a second Prime Bumblebee forearm blaster, so those are now his "hood ornament" weaponry. (I still want to add the Toyhax labels set to this guy, annnnnd I may replace the roof and side guns with 3rd party .50-cal MGs at some point if I can snag some.)

IMG_5066.JPG IMG_5070.JPG IMG_5077.JPG

Robot mode works just fine! The Prime Bumblebee arm blasters were intended to take the place of those crummy rubber claws, but it turns out he can attach and use both pairs of weapons at the same time (if one really wants to do that).

Meanwhile, Rafael_Oliveira said he wanted to see what could be made of the leftover parts. The answer is, uh, this:

IMG_5053.JPG IMG_5054.JPG IMG_5056.JPG IMG_5055.JPG

There's really nowhere for the arms to go, but are two gaping spaces they can stick out of, making the whole thing look sorta like a Batmobile. The side panels can still connect to the front pegs and the rear slots, though it's a close, tight fit in the back. The old arms' shoulders barely fit with the trunk area of the Studio Series car.

IMG_5060.JPG IMG_5058.JPG IMG_5059.JPG

The robot mode actually works, though its proportions make it look ridiculous. As it happens, the ball joints of the Studio Series car's side panels fit snugly into the 5mm ports on the old arms, so they can be attached -- it's a partsforming situation though.

IMG_5081.JPG IMG_5082.JPG

All in all, I'm super pleased with the custom. The extra parts come together to put the "wreck" in "Wreckers"... Having looked more at the DNA Designs DK-22 upgrade, I feel like I may have been premature in doing this, but oh well. I can get another SS Topspin if I must. Nevertheless I'm still really happy this project worked so well.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Well-Known Member

I get a real funny-car vibe. Still looks amazing, both customs!

• Like Like x 2
  13. greboguru

Heh! Now that you've said it, I can't unsee it. :) 

Thanks for the compliments!

• Like Like x 1
  14. DrakenDaWolfy

Not a problem dude. Glad to see someone do this idea and manage to make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rafael_Oliveira

It's weird how two different scaled robots have the same car mode size. Despite that, the leftover Topspin looks very... unique. Maybe you can repaint him to make a different character or something. After all, thats too much plastic parts to throw away (Except the rubber guns, those really looks out of place for me...) :rolleyes2 

• Like Like x 4
  16. DrakenDaWolfy

I was thinking Dragstrip.

• Like Like x 1
  17. greboguru

It sure is! I was really surprised when I put the two cars next to each other and they were just about equal in size. The robot modes are so drastically different in height!
    Haha! Yeah, he's pretty dumpy. Deformed, like Autobot X. Those lonnnnggg arms, that tiny head!
    I just might! I generally dislike painting TFs, except for little spot details and such -- so much danger of paint scraping off! But it does seem a shame to scrap what amounts to a whole figure, you're right...
    For sure! Those limp little things are definitely not going to be kept.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Really cool. I always enjoyed the old dotm deluxe wreckers. The new arms and mullet upgrade look good.

Those SS designers sure like their shellformers though.

• Like Like x 2