Marvel's What If? (Disney+ Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Mar 12, 2019.

1. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

Great finale, the animation was gorgeous and everything tied together, several parts in unexpected ways. Gamora's inclusion was awkward, but it can't be helped.

The show had its issues but it was great overall, I'm really looking forward to more.

• Like Like x 4
  2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Let's steal just the soul stone...why not try to steal all of them?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Did it though? Most of the bad endings still ended the way they did, the zombie apocalypse still happened killing most of that world's heroes, Killmonger still reduced his world's Wakanda to ruin, Strange is also the lone survivor of his universe (though he has two new companions to guard over) Black Widow is still the sole survivor of her world, Hank Pym still killed off most of his world's heroes, we just saw that his world got Captain America and Marvel in action plus the newly transferred sole survivor Widow.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed with the finale,
    I mean we knew which heroes were coming but the way the Watcher chose them was a bit disappointing, if Ultron was the huge threat he was supposed to be, it'd have made more sense to get even more powerful heroes/variants, i.e. Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, etc, instead of the crew he got, in addition, you'd think an Ultron in possession of all the Infinity gems would have been harder to take down, but I guess they really wanted to have the heroes tie up with the previous episodes, the decision just feels kind of lacking

• Like Like x 1
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    10 Anime Characters Who Could Defeat Infinity Ultron

10 - Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach
    9 - One Punch Man
    8 - Izayoi Sakamaki from Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?
    7 - Gilgamesh from Fate
    6 - Beerus from Dragon Ball
    5 - Ikaros from Heaven's Lost Property
    4 - Ainz Ooal Gown from Overlord
    3 - Rimuru Tempest from That TIme I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    2 - King Zeno from Dragon Ball
    1 - Alucard from Hellsing

If you don't know anime, don't worry. Just know that a vampire was counted the best hope against stopping Ultron, and that sort of makes sense.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    :lol  Yeah all those guys are OP asf fuck! Personally I'm just surprised (and offended) Goku isn't on the list since he'd rank waaaay higher than Ichigo impo.

• Like Like x 2
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    As a Goku fan it hurts to say it, but Goku's been surpassed by Beerus and Zeno. And by other animes with super-overpowered characters too, though DB still stands out as the earliest of that genre.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

So... I never discussed my thoughts on the last 2 episodes...

Episode 8 What If Ultron Won? I don't like that he's essentially Vision with Ultron Armor. I don't like that he's just wearing armor of the proper Ultron design and keeps taking the Helmet off to show Vision's face is still underneath. If you're going to do Ultron in Vison's body I would of had Ultron rip Vision's head off then had his own head grafted onto Vision's body.

Normally in the comics Ultron is just a head anyway. He keeps returning with a different body in every appearance he's been in but that head is the one thing that stays consistent.

When he has the helmet on and still looks like Ultron it's great and I like how Ultron keeps accomplishing a goal only to later realize he's not done yet. Like he starts with just the Earth, then realizes, oh there's life in the universe beyond this one planet then goes out into space. After wiping out the universe he becomes aware of the multiverse.

The Ultron vs. Watcher fight across the multiverse was pretty good too.

Episode 9 What if the Watcher broke his oath? Not exactly the cast of characters I was hoping for but it worked for the story they were telling... and of course we were going to get stuck with the Dr. Strange from my most hated episode but I kinda predicted that already being that he was the last survivor of his universe of course he'd be back here.

My only real gripe with this episode is that Star Lord specifically refers to Killmonger as his cousin which is accurate except when did he find that out? In the main time line and in the universe Killmonger was from he didn't grow up in Wacconda and when he finally shows up there for the first time no one knows who he is. Killmonger would be aware that Star Lord is a version of his cousin but Star Lord should no knowledge that Killmonger is related to him. Was there a deleted scene in this episode where Killmonger explains who he is to Star Lord? Was the Killmonger of Star Lord's universe never in exile from Wacconda? It's just weird that Star Lord knows his cousin when every other version of Black Panther seems unaware they're related.

Also there was apparently an episode with Gamora and Tony Stark that was suppose to air before this but due to some behind the scenes production issues with one of the cast members being sick the episode got moved to season 2. It feels a little weird to essentially be watching these episodes out of order but given how a lot of episodes jumps around different points in the time line anyway I think we were always going to be watching these episodes out of order.

Anyway... there's only 1 of 9 episodes I actually hated so I'm looking forward to season 2. I'm not sure how long they're planning on continuing this What if...? series but after it's completion I may just rewatch the entire series in chronological order. I noticed Disney+ also has a time line of every MCU movie in chronological order... it doesn't include the TV shows though so still really unclear exactly when the Marvel Netflix shows fit into the time line.

I do kind of hope they make some What if...? episodes based on the Netflix shows mostly as an excuse to bring back David Tennant as the Purpleman/Killgrave again cause he's honestly the most interesting villain of the Marvel Netflix shows. I didn't even think I was going to like Jessica Jones because I knew nothing about the character going into that series but that ended up being my favorite series.

I could easily see an alternate version of the first Avengers movie where Loki doesn't have his mind control staff and instead hires Killgrave to try and still make his plan work... a few key differences being that Killgrave has an entirely set of weaknesses than the staff did. Essentially Loki could still control people using the staff even if he wasn't around them but Killgrave has a limited range. Also the staff had to touch their chest and because of the arc reactor Tony Stark was immune to it but he wouldn't be immune to Killgrave's power. The Avengers with Killgrave doing the mind control instead of Loki could have some interesting results.

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It is generally believed that the Netflix shows may take place in the year they were filmed and its implied by some of the dialogue and dates given in the show, so if its accurate then these would be the best dates to add them. One example in DD S1 they make a comment about the battle of new york being 2 years ago, which matches with it starting in 2014

2014-Early 2015: DD S1

2015: JJ S2
    DD S2
    LC S1

2016: IF S1
    Defenders S1
    Punisher S1

2017: JJ S2
    LC S2
    IF S2
    DD S3

2018: Punisher S2
    JJ S3

But yeah the D+ timeline only includes the Disney+ series, any of the non-D+ Marvel series like Agent Carter, SHIELD arent included

9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Weren't the other series all suppose to be moving to Disney+ at some point.

10. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    As of now, The Netflix shows arent moving and if they ever move it'll be on Hulu, as Disney+ in USA/Latin America does not stream R Rated content. (Unless you are in one of the countries that have Star in D+, but even still the shows are staying on netflix for years to come) Their contract was more than after 2 years Marvel will be able to use the characters again, nothing about regaining ownership over the shows they are still Netflix owned series

Now for the other shows made under Jeph Loeb, Agent Carter, Inhumans and Runaways are all there, Agents of SHIELD is not there on USA (due to ABC's current deal with Netflix), but it is available in D+ in international countries, no word on Cloak and Dagger

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Really? Because I heard the shows weren't getting renewed for another season on Netflix due to Disney+ taking ownership. And Netflix can't maintain the rights to those shows unless they keep producing content for them. Looking it up Defenders hasn't aired since that one season in 2017, Dare Devil, Luke Cage, and Ironfist ended in 2018, Jessica Jones and The Punisher ended in 2019. If their contracts were set to expire after 2 years then they would of had to renew those shows before 2021. Maybe they got an extension since no one was able to film in 2020 due to covid but we're already past that expiration date.

As for Disney+ not streaming R rated content... Disney's primary demographic is kids and they try to steer away from anything that doesn't fit with their family friendly view however they've ALREADY put more adult content on Disney+ following their purchase of Fox. No Deadpool yet... not even the PG13 version Once Upon a Deadpool, but they did add on all the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Episodes this past Halloween. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to make some changes adding age restrictions to some of the content so they can get the more mature shows on there.

I doubt the shows would be moved to Hulu... unless Disney owns that too because why would they allow their shows to continue streaming on a rival streaming service.

None of those are part of the Netflix streaming deal. Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, and Cloak and Dagger all aired on ABC which is already owned by Disney. I'm not sure about Inhumans and and Runaways I haven't been following those shows... I thought Inhumans was cancelled actually... like they were going to make it as a movie in the MCU but that never happened, then it was being reworked into a series and there were some set photos that leaked from filming but never heard any more about it after that.

They also had Inhumans in Agents of SHIELD like Sky/Daisy/Quake/Destroyer of Worlds girl with way too many alias is an Inhuman but they didn't use any of the main characters people actually know from the comics cause they were being saved for the spin off.

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Basically how the deal works is that the 2 years freezing period has nothing to do with the ownership of the shows, but ownership over the characters, so in the 2 years Disney cant use any of the Netflix in future MCU projects but once the 2 years had happened then Disney can use the characters again, so for example as of now if Disney wants to use Charlie Cox Daredevil in lets say just for argument sake She-Hulk they can now. But Disney doesnt get ownership over the show or at the very least the existing seasons (for all we know maybe they can do S4, but cant stream S1-3), the current seasons remain at Netflix, now that doesnt mean they cant get the rights for the current seasons at a later date, but as of now the 2 year freezing period was about use of the characters, not ownership over the shows.

Disney does have ownership over Hulu (it is owned between Disney and Comcast, Comcast ownership will expire in 2024, so if they dont extend it, Disney will gain complete ownership over the platform), while D+ does have Simpsons that will be about it, as Hulu is the place where Disney will release content aimed at an older audience, so for example Family Guy which is now owned by Disney, will be streaming in Hulu instead of Disney+ (expect for international countries which has the Star tab on the platform) and likewise Disney is doing/has 2 R Rated/TV-MA Marvel shows for Hulu, MODOK and Hit-Monkey instead of having them in D+, due to the target audience being adults, (And actually at one point Marvel was developing another set of R Rated shows for Hulu to replace the Netflix shows, instead of D+ due to the target audience of those shows, though those plans fell apart, but its clear that Disney views Hulu as the place to drop their adult content) so Hulu is the most likely place those shows will air if they are able to get ownership over the existing seasons back from Netflix. unless they do heavy editing for D+

Yeah they arent Netflix, was just saying is that the only non-Marvel Studios series airing on the platform are these, but yes Inhumans is ABC and Runaways is Hulu (both Disney) and yeah Inhumans was canned after a single season of 8 episodes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  14. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 X-Wing: Mercy Kill

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2