Marvel's What If? (Disney+ Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

Nice to see GSP reprise his role as Batroc.

It's an interesting idea to tie together the season in the way season 1 has. I wonder how or if they can top the plot idea of season 1's finale. Where do you go from threatening the multiverse? It feels more like a series finale but I'm happy to be proven wrong if the writers can continue to elevate the series.

Here's to season 2!

• Like Like x 2
  2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Finally an episode where Tony doesnt die at the end XD

• Like Like x 3
  3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Why does a stone grinder need to have the infinity stones from the same universe in order to work? That's the most annoying thing in the episode next to Strange not using his magic to take the soul stone away instead of leaving it laying on the ground while everybody fights for it.

4. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Probably has to do with some sort of energy signature, with them being from another universe maybe the Crusher just missed the frequency or energy signature needed to actually destroy them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daelo88

Daelo88 Banned

Am I the only one wondering where the hell the Eternals or Celestials are during all this multiverse planet blowing up adventure by Ultron?

6. Convotron

Weak writing is the simple answer, unfortunately. I enjoyed What If? But it's riddled with weak writing.

A common way to create tension in a scene is to play out a frantic game of capture the plot device. However, when you have a character capable of simply using magic to snatch up the Soul Stone, it circumvents the whole sequence. So the writers, instead of coming up with a clever scenario, has Strange Supreme become momentarily ineffective, contrary to being shown as the most capable member of the group, and not use magic to get the stone for no clear reason.

Let's not forget that the writers have Ultron largely employ simple brutish combat tactics even though it is an extremely evolved A.I. who has gained cosmic level abilities, allowing it to travel to any universe and destroy whole civilizations.

• Like Like x 2
  7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I like how the finale
    retconned all the shity finales from the earlier season.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  8. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Killmomger with the infinity stones fighting a Zola-possessed Vision corpse in a pocket dimension monitored by Strange Supreme was not on my bingo card for this episode.

I had fun.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Movie isn't out yet so debuting in a series outside mcu canon isn't the best way to do so.

Also, if it ain't Deviants, the Eternals don't help, or at least won't until after they realize they can do more after the film (I assume is their realization at least).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    As for Celestials, I’m not sure they’d even care.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I was expecting a Multiverse of Madness post credit. Overall the series was fine. I could go without a “Avengers” season finally for future seasons. It’s feels very in canon now. But Dr Strange 2 could change that.

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The Eternals cannot interfere unless the problem is a deviant, so Ultron is not a deviant, so they arent allowed to deal with him. Plus we see that Ultron killed Ego who is a Celestials, So even if they came face to him, Ultron was capable of killing them

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    That was a great episode, let’s talk about it.

It was great to see pay off from all these anthology stories, but that paid into the fact that the addition of Gamora, while a cool idea, didn’t resonate since she was only introduced on this episode. No idea what Tony was there either.

I was surprised that
    Kilmonger was chosen as one of the Avengers considering what he’d done in his universe. And really he didn’t do anything the whole episode until the end, so Uatu presumably wouldn’t have lost anything.

The team up itself was pretty quick and easy. Nobody really interacted off each other in interesting ways. T’Challa and Kilmonger would’ve been cool, but nobody really had a connection besides Nat and Captain Carter.

Sad that Ultron victory Nat wasn’t initially chosen, presumably meaning she was doomed to die alone had the fight not spilled over into her world. But cool to see her join the President Loki world.

Captain Carter was great, as was T’Challa, I liked seeing the Ravagers battling Ego on Earth. And thankfully it looks like they saved their Earth despite Uatu’s warning.

The big fight at the end against Ultron was great, the animation just kept going off. Two shields against him was cool. And the part where everybody was ganging up on him was awesome, I wish we’d gotten that in Endgame with heroes Vs Thanos. And cool that Zola and Kilmonger both easily would’ve become multiversal threats in the Sacred Timeline if we’d let them.

It was also sobering that Kilmonger got his wish of burning down Wakanda and the world after becoming king.

Good ending with Steve.

Needed maybe one episode with Gamora but this was good.

And finally, it was crushing to realize that this is it - this was the last episode from Chadwick Boseman. While it’s obviously horrible and sad, I feel happy knowing we’d been able to see a second life from him after his passing, knowing he’s going to stay with us.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Convotron

Agreed.

It was bittersweet but great to hear Chadwick's voice in the finale.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    We would’ve had it, were it not for COVID, this was the episode that was cut because of it.

Supposedly we are getting it next season.

EDIT: And I’ve just repeated myself…

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daelo88

Daelo88 Banned

The problem with the Gamora and Stark episode is we saw her taken to be part of the finale and will be weird to see her afterwards in a non multiverse threatening episode. Why didn't they postpone the stupid zombie episode since that had no ramification to the finale?

• Like Like x 1
  17. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The zombies did show up though. I think they could have cut the one where Ant Man killed everyone and replaced it with the Tony/Gamora episode. That would have tied pretty much everything in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Because the zombie episode was probably able to be completed earlier. The animation house that was working on the Gamora episode had problems related to Covid which was the only reason it couldn't be done on time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Easy the Zombie episode was done in time for release, but the Gamora episode was not ready, so you couldn't replace one episode with the other, because the Gamora episode was never gonna be ready to be released. Pushing the already finished and ready to go zombie episode wasnt magically gonna fix the issue that COVID made it difficult to finish one specific episode, we are talking of an event outside of our control.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Nah, because even the world where Pym kills five of the original six Avengers ends up being part of the story. It's just an unfortunate side effect of the studio having issues due to COVID.

• Like Like x 1