Marvel's Shang-Chi - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Dec 3, 2018.

1. WEEGEE

WEEGEE a doggo! how c00t! It thinks it's an avatar!

News Credits:
    Paladin brings up an interesting point, they could potentially be ripping off the infinity saga if they use his ten rings. I wonder how they'll go about this. I just hope they give him the same treatment they gave their other characters, faithful but updated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Kevin Feige is smart enough not to do that, or at least do it in a way that seems more unique.

3. WEEGEE

News Credits:
    Then how'll he set up any overarching conflict for the next story.

4. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Maybe a master manipulator? IDK. I don’t see that, or new McGuffins as a bad thing really. It always tends to revolve around some power artifact.

5. WEEGEE

News Credits:
    I guess. I'm just really hyped for post endgame content.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    I don't see them as being the same in any way shape or form... Mandarin's ten rings aren't god tier. They aren't capable of reshaping the universe. As long as it's presented in a way that differentiates them from the stones I don't see an issue. Plus, each of Mandarin's rings only gives him power over one particular thing each.

Mandarin's Rings:
    • Matter-Rearranger Ring (worn in the right thumb): This Ring allows the Mandarin to manipulate the atomic and molecular structures of matter. It cannot transmute elements or affect objects encased in force or energy fields.
      • Poison Gas – The Mandarin may transform the surrounding air into a Toxic gas.
      • Solidify Gas – The Mandarin may solidify the air around opponents, encasing them in blocks of cement-like material.
      • Rearrange costume and/or alter appearance.
    • Impact Beam Ring (worn in the right index finger): This Ring allows the Mandarin to generate and project various beams of concussive force.
      • Force Blast (Electron Beam, Neutron Beam) – The Mandarin may project blasts of concussive energy.
      • Sonic Beam – The Mandarin may project waves of high-intensity sound.
    • Vortex Beam Ring, (worn in the right middle finger): The ring causes the air to move about at high speed in a vortex. The vortex can be used as an offensive weapon, as a means of levitating objects, or as a means of propelling the ring's wearer through the air.
    • Disintegration Beam Ring, (worn in the right ring finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project a beam of energy capable of destroying the bonds between the atoms and molecules, causing inanimate objects to disintegrate. This ring must recharge for 20 minutes after each use.
    • Black Light Ring, (worn in the right little finger): This Ring allows the Mandarin to create an area of darkness, presumably using Darkforce energy to do so.
    • White Light Ring, (worn in the left thumb): This ring allows the Mandarin to generate and manipulate various forms of electromagnetic energy.
      • Light Burst – The Mandarin may generate bursts of high intensity light to blind opponents.
      • Gravity Field – The Mandarin may encase opponents in a field of heavy gravity, pinning them to the surfaces.
      • Magnetic Levitation – The Mandarin may utilize electromagnetic fields to levitate and manipulate objects.
      • Image Projection – The Mandarin may project holographic illusions. He can also produce multiple images to confuse an opponent, or make a substantially larger version of himself.
    • Flame-Blast Ring, (worn in the left index finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of infrared to produce flame or ignite combustible materials.
    • Mento-Intensifier Ring, (worn in the left ring finger): This ring magnifies the Mandarin’s psionic energies, allowing him to mentally manipulate the thoughts and actions of others.
      • Mental Illusions – The Mandarin may psionically generate illusions within the minds of others. These illusions are very realistic and are capable of affecting all of the senses (vision, hearing, taste, touch and smell).
      • Mental Paralysis – The Mandarin may psionically manipulate the minds of others, temporarily paralyzing them.
    • Electro-Blast Ring, (worn in the left middle finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of Electrical Energy.
    • Ice Blast Ring, (worn in the left little finger): This ring allows the Mandarin to project waves of up intense cold and ice, including trapping foes in ice blocks and sheaths.
    Vs.

Infinity Gems:
    • Soul, allows the user to steal, control, manipulate, and alter living and dead souls. The Soul Gem is also the gateway to an idyllic pocket universe. At full potential, the Soul Gem grants the user control over all life in the universe.
      • Pocket Universe: Soul World, the final resting place for all lost spirits. Overseen by Devondra, an inter-dimensional parasite.
    • Time, allows the user to see into the past and the future; stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time; travel through time; change the past and the future; age and de-age beings, and trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time. At full potential, the Time Gem grants the user omniscience and total control over the past, present, and future.
      • Pocket Universe: Ellipsis, manipulates the flow of time for everyone within it.
    • Space, allows the user to exist in any location; move any object anywhere throughout reality; warp or rearrange space; teleport themselves and others; increase their speed, and alter the distance between objects contrary to the laws of physics. At full potential, the Space Gem grants the user omnipresence.
      • Pocket Universe: The Vast, an endless expanse of empty existence stretching to infinity.
    • Mind, allows the user to enhance their mental and psionic abilities and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. At full potential, when backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously. The Mind Gem is also the manifestation of the universal subconscious.
      • Pocket Universe: The Mindscape, allows the user to bring anything they imagine or dream of to life. Home to the Sleepwalkers.
    • Reality, allows the user to fulfill their wishes, even if the wish is in direct contradiction with scientific laws, and do things that would normally be impossible; and create any type of alternate reality the user wishes. At full potential, when backed by the other Gems, the Reality Gem allows the user to alter reality on a universal scale.
      • Pocket Universe: World Pool, used to access alternate realities, which are portrayed as an endless comic book collection. Overseen by Archivus, the chronicler of the Multiverse.
    • Power, allows the user to access and manipulate all forms of energy; enhance their physical strength and durability; enhance any superhuman ability; and boost the effects of the other five Gems. At full potential, the Power Gem grants the user omnipotence.
      • Pocket Universe: The Arena, resembles a Colosseum where heroes fight each other in a contest of might. Ruled by Dynamus, the living embodiment of the Power Cosmic.
    Now... there's really no contest here in how different both of these are. Any similarities movie goers might see really come down to the MCU doing a shit job of showing just how powerful and what the individual stones are capable of in their individual appearances. Now, that said, the rings could easily be done in a way that differentiates them from the stones... I mean, again, Mandarin's Rings aren't god tier... he can't use his powers on huge areas or amounts of people at once... typically limited to smaller groups or individuals depending on the Ring. Now, if they want to acknowledge the few similarities (I mean, most don't even have similar powers to the Gems) than they could have Mandarin point out that the alien race that created the rings were trying to create artificial versions of the Infinity Gems, but came up short. There's plenty of ways for it to be handled that doesn't have to make it "Infinity Gems 2.0".

• Like Like x 2
  7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'll agree with that. I could also see them changing the transmutating rings into more mundane types of blasts to help keep him from being too overpowered.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

I hope they tease Kun Lun somehow and we get an MCU Iron fist in the next 2 years. He would look cool as hell with his costume on the big screen.

9. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

After seeing Godzilla, I'm thinking Ken Watanabe could play FuManchu. But I think the China market will want a Chinese actor.

10. WEEGEE

News Credits:
    Understandable considering he's a known asian character.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    He was that guy who stuck his head in the toilet bowl. But his skin was white and his hair was blond so noone could recognize him well.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    I felt so bad for that guy. That must be terrifying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I tried looking up action scenes from Ludi Lin. Couldn't find much except for some Power Rangers action scenes. Meh. Maybe he needs to be given a role where he could actually do some fighting. But when it comes to that, Donnie Yen has gotten it in spades. And he's shown himself to actually be able to fight not just on screen, but even in real life as there's a story of him sending what? 8 guys to the hospital when they harassed his girlfriend way back when? Yeah, he may be older now, but he still shows he can fight on screen at the very least. And if anyone isn't familiar with some of his action scenes...here's one of the more notable ones in recent years:

If you prefer a shorter clip though, here's another one:

And yeah, I guess you can say I'm a little biased :D 

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Donnie Yen is one of the most talented, versatile action stars who ever lived. The fights in Flash Point are among the greatest fight scenes ever filmed. Bar none.

But he's too old to be Shang-Chi now. He's just too old.

I mean, you could argue RDJ was too old to play Tony Stark, and that's a good argument. But that's a different kind of role. Shang-Chi is young. He has to be for his story to work. Donnie Yen is about to turn 56. He can play younger, but not that much younger. If it was 15 years ago, or even just 10 years ago, maybe. But it's too late now.

• Like Like x 4
  18. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love me some Donnie Yen, but yeah I think he'd be too old for the part. Daniel Wu might work, but he's a little old as well for the Shang Chi I think they're going for. I like Lewis Tan for Shang Chi.

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, maybe he can be a fighting consultant. Have them get the JC Stunt team too :D  And don't forget Yuen Wo Ping. That man...can choreograph like no other. Of all the martial arts films I've seen where he has done the fight scenes versus others...I have to hand it to him. If Marvel wants to display kung fu spectacularly...he'd be the man to hire. Again, that's my own bias :D 

Yeah, but he isn't listed as someone they're considering. That and he's 44 or so. Lundi-whatever his name is...he seems boring to me. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his scenes to see how he handles himself in action sequences. But of the one thing I have been able to find...that being the Power Rangers...meh. They have so many better candidates out there.

20. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

Heard that Yen is up for a role, just not the main role.