Marvel's Loki (Disney+)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 18, 2018.

1. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Alas, my wife and I both thought the last episode stunk. Apparently you have to already know all about Kang and his various incarnations for this to have been impactful. We’re seen all the MCU stuff, and I have a quasi-reasonable Marvel background, but this was too deep a cut for me. Pity. I’m glad y’all liked it, but we both just went, “Huh?”

• Like Like x 5
  2. SCENARIO

SCENARIO Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I’m a bit disappointed so far. I don’t want to take anything away from those who enjoyed it and where the MCU is going. I knew the whole multiverse would be the next step but seeing it all play out doesn’t have me excited. I’m just not the biggest fan of multiverse / time travel storylines. I put up with it (time travel) in endgame for what it was.

Even the next phase movies don’t have me personally invested in anyway, but who knows could change and warm up to it all…

I dunno, the Loki finale where the big reveal characters acting was a bit much and over the top for me.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd agree that even with Kang, this series had too much sitting in rooms and talking not enough actually happening and felt stretched out too long. This was 2 and 1/2 maybe 3 hours worth of plot stretched out 3 extra hours too long. Too many moments that lasted too long with too many pauses because they needed to fill time.

That's been an over all issue with the Disney+ series too much talking about what is or has happened and not enough time showing it happening and very short plots stretched out too long making them feel boring.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    Okay, I guess I'll be "that guy".

I think this is where I duck out of following everything the MCU is doing. There's still a couple of things I'm interested in (Spider-Man: No Way Home, GotG Volume 3) but by and large I think this series has proven to me the MCU just doesn't have it anymore, and it wasn't just a fluke with one or two movies, it's everything post-Endgame. Look back in this thread, I was excited about this series as anyone and I think it just flopped on its face at the end. (Episode 3 was kinda bad too.) Just like Wandavision, just like Falcon & the Winter Soldier (though I thought the latter was more mediocre throughout). I was open to a lot of things, but the finale being 35-40 minutes of philosophical discussion and 2 minutes of like actual action was not one of them.

I get it, I get it, it's setting up the way for Kang the Conqueror. I barely know who he is. But I barely knew who Thanos was at the time of Avengers and I could tell he was a Big Deal. This actor (I don't recall seeing him before, but I also don't watch much media comparatively I guess) seemed not to fit the role very well. They didn't make it remotely obvious enough this was proto-Kang or much about why I should fear him, since he's just a regular dude but is smart, I guess. Also as said above, if you know nothing about Kang how good is this finale really? (Meanwhile, if you knew nothing about Thanos how good was Avengers? Still good.) Just seemed slow, off-pace, "hey let's just talk about free will in a big creepy building for a while". My parents, who love Marvel movies, were both thoroughly confused and disappointed. Black Widow is also getting mediocre reviews at best, it seems (haven't seen it yet myself, can't speak on it).

It feels like Marvel is desperately flailing trying to follow up Thanos and it can't. Now that it's got so many movies and series it's getting too convoluted and you have to follow and know too much about the lore, as opposed to the tighter storyline earlier on where they had to rely on "just" 1-2 movies a year. I kinda wish my joking suggestion earlier that it was Deadpool in the mansion and he and Loki just end the MCU right then and there was true now.

(Though hey, at least they answered my question of why the TVA is only using humans-- because neutral-Kang's a human and was probably more comfortable just sticking with what he knew.)

If y'all like it, that's fine, have at it. I think I'm only going to marginally pay attention to this going forward, because this is now a trend and not a blip in terms of their storytelling taking a dive IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    This episode finally delivered on the big, huge cosmic multiversal side of the MCU I’ve been wanting all along. This was freaking crazy. All it took was one move and everything has changed. It’s insane.

My brother is a complete hardass sometimes. Nothing fazes him. He laughs in horror films, he makes fun of me and says I’m cringey like a brother says. But he was shook. He literally was asking “how are they gonna
    beat him?

And I don’t know. That’s what’s so crazy. Nobody in the MCU we know of can stop what’s coming. We’re fucked. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Woah. So -------------- shows up. Ha. Nice.

Kinda of a let down of a series finale though. Lots of good build up to the last episode and then a cliffhanger ending. Eh, kinda expected but also, not what I wanted but I don't know what else could have been satisfying. Still, nice to see you know who. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We watched episodes 5 and 6 and overall, I'm not sure how I feel. Episode 5 was fantastic. Loved the fact that Richard Grant was wearing an actual comic accurate Loki costume. OH my god was that down right glorious!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Seeing all of the different Lokis was pretty awesome too. Still not sure what to make of Sylvie and Loki's relationship considering they're the same person though.

Episode 6, on the other hand, was an absolute let down. Like what the fuck were they thinking? First off, it needed to at least be an hour long to fully flesh everything out, and clearly they new that was the case since there was no god damn ending. It was the very first Assassin's Creed video game all over again. I can't even call that bullshit a cliffhanger because cliffhangers at least leave you wanting more. This just stopped. Imagine if you were watching The Empire Strikes Back and Darth Vader says to Luke, "Obiwan never told you about your father." Luke screams at him. Vader retorts with, "I..." and the credits roll. That's what this felt like. There was no payoff at all. And yes, I know after the credits they announce Season 2, but that doesn't make the bullshit stopping point any less insulting.

I just... I don't know. It left such a sourful taste in my mouth. Like I don't even know if I even care about a second season due to the way this ended. This is easily my least favorite of the three MCU shows. Despite Falcon and the Winter Soldier needing an additional two episodes to fully flesh Walker out, that show still managed to conclude all of its plotlines and give us a god damn amazing finale. This had a fraction of the subplots that show had and couldn't even conclude one of them.

BTW, was "He Who Remains" supposed to be The Architect?

• Like Like x 2
  8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    He Who Remains seems to be based on Inmortus (a variant of Kang in the comics who's not interested in conquering timelines, if i am not wrong)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

He was Immortus. That's why his variant is Kang the Conqueror.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Did he say that was his name? I don't recall hearing it.

But then, my familiarity with Kang is relegated to Infinity War and that's really it.

Like with the TVA, I've not really encountered him in my comics.

11. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Hmmm....if a Black Panther variant shows up in the movies, does that count as recasting?

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Nope, not even the name Kang was said.

Right now the only name that was used was "He Who Remains"

13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Okay, so this is all speculation like how people came up with the idea of Mephisto being behind WandaVision?

14. andrewja

andrewja Well-Known? Member

Toward the beginning of Loki and Sylvie, he said, paraphrasing, "I am known by many things... the Conqueror..."

15. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A few months ago it was revealed Johnathon Majors is playing the villain in Ant-Man 3, and while they kept the character officially secret, a lot of the speculation from even the casting news stories was he'd be Kang. Now he's The One Who Remains dressed in purple and stuff. IMO, he's absolutely Kang. But it is officially still a secret, even after this episode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Its not speculation, Johnathan Majors who played He Who Remains was confirmed to be showing up as Kang in Ant-Man 3 last year, they even teased Kang when He Who Remains said that Conqueror was one of the many names he's known for and that some of his variants were interested in conquering timelines, even the statue of the variant of He Who Knows who runs the TVA at the end of the show is clearly using Kang's outfit (just without his mask)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Okay, but apparently you have to be a die hard Kang fan to know this. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  18. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I do think if one didnt knew John was cast as Kang in Ant-Man 3 before watching this, maybe they wouldn't know who he was supposed to be

19. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

All this Kang talk keeps making me think of this guy
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Costume he was wearing was obviously inspired by the comic version. He's just missing the weird helmet.
    That is Immortus not Kang. It gets confusing I'll explain.
    [​IMG]

It gets confusing Kang has been many people over his lifetime, and we are never sure if it's him or a variant of him.
    [​IMG]
    In his teens he traveled back in time as Iron Lad and helped form the young avengers
    [​IMG]
    Then he finds out about is destiny and tries to avoid it he ends up in Egypt where he rules for a number of years as Rama-tut
    [​IMG]
    Then after getting beaten by the FF but still trying to avoid being Kang he travels to the future to fight as the Scarlet Centurian(A title he'd later let one of his son's use)
    [​IMG]
    Finally after losing again he becomes Kang the Conqueror
    [​IMG]
    Goes back in Time to conquer and control time. Fights the Avengers a lot.
    Eventually he gets bored with this and becomes a defender and protector of time. Gets a new outfit and calls himself Immortus but he works for the time keepers (They aren't robots in the comics) And that is the version Silvie kills here, which fractures the time line causing the return of multiple Kangs who will fight each other to control and rule the time line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which is how they probably plan to bring in the X-men and change the time line creating a reboot phase for the movies. We may even get new Actors playing Tony and Steve and the excuse will be a Time-line reset. Basically a reality/time war is coming

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3