Marvel Reboot Rumors: What could we be in store for

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Rattrap Primal, May 26, 2014.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    It's easier to get Marvel's early stories than DC's. Marvel has printed a lot more of their 60s output than DC has with their 1940s comics.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

But DC has printed just as much of their 60s material, which really should be the comparison here.

Cause really, DC has printed the only 40s stuff to matter: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and JSA. And really, besides JSA, the rest (origins, first appearances aside) really aren't all that important to the Silver Age DC.

3. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...wasn't that the point of the Ultimate Universe? Reboot/Alter the tales for many of Marvel's Iconic Heroes/Villains... while having a separate continuity because multiple universes are the norm?

4. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Considering that there wouldn't be a comic book industry as we know it without DC's 1940s output, I'd say there's value to more of it than just the big three and the JSA. Without Jay Garrick, there wouldn't have been a Barry Allen, and thus no Silver Age Flash. Without Alan Scott there wouldn't be a Hal Jordan. Without the Justice Society, there wouldn't be a Justice League. Green Arrow was originally a Golden Age character. So was Black Canary. So was Hawkman. Every major Silver Age character and concept has its roots in DC's Golden Age comics. I'd say it's more important than you give it credit for, even if the Silver Age characters are more relevant to the present day, since they dominate DC's roster of characters.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  5. smkspy

My fault for not being clear enough. I wasn't saying any of that, not at all. Absolutely there is value to those characters and their stories printed in that area along with how they influenced the Silver Age. However, I am saying, that if one were to start reading, say, for the sake of continuity, then they can skip over a large amount of those stories. Fun and interesting stories, sure. Necessary for a understanding of the DC universe as it progresses from the Silver Age to Crisis to Post-Crisis? With few exceptions, no.

To put it to a Marvel example. You don't have read Golden Age Captain America and Namor to have an understanding of them when they're revived in the 60s.

6. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Gotcha. Put that way, I'd agree with you.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    The pint of the Ultimate line was to stry a fresh universe without hindering it with the past as to get new readers who would otherwise be turned off by starting comics because of decades of material they have to know.

Then a decade and a half later, we have the same issue with the ultimate line.

8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

As I recall, the Ultimate Universe first began because they wanted to retell and update the characters origins for modern audiences as well as to get new readers interested in the comics with younger versions of the characters. Back in the 60's radiation was the hot topic used to explain how so many characters developed super powers. For the Ultimate Universe however, they wanted to use genetic experimentation, with topics like cloning being big news in the late 90's. But yeah, I think Marvel has really lost sight of why they started the Ultimate Universe and what it was originally all about.

It'd be interesting if Marvel does do a Crisis like reboot. While I can't say I'm normally a fan of such reboots, I think they could use it at this point.

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am kinda ready for a Marvel reboot. The X-Men in particular need it

10. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    The Crisis didn't reboot everything, just characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. What it mainly did was merge all the different universes together into a shared history. I wonder if what we'll see with Marvel is a merging of the Ultimate universe with the mainline universe?

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about fully reboot everything, if they reboot at all. I'd expect they would keep much of the characters origins and parts of their history intact, much like DC has done with their reboots to some degree. That's why I said I thought they could use a "Crisis like" reboot. Marvel could use some continuity clean up. And DC has had a few Crisis events, each with some different results.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Looks like it's very possible, with these images from the Diamond conference.

Marvel Comics Reboot Rumored For 2015 With Avengers "Time Runs Out" Event - Cosmic Book News

But BCN also has a very solid point - with X-Men surging in popularity right now from the movie, and Fantastic Four back in production with another movie, Marvel, especially the CEO, has great personal politic issues ... if you burn him, he will burn you harder. What better way to screw your movie franchise than to ensure you get no free promotion from him?

I would dare say we don't see the X-Men or Fantastic Four doing ANYTHING big or major while movies are out, coming out, or being planned by another studio that isn't Marvel Studios.

13. smkspy

More like what better way for Marvel to shoot themselves in the foot. It's been fifteen years since X-Men the movie, and they still haven't learned that the movies -despite their tremendous box office success - just don't bring in new readers or increased sales. They made their bed years ago selling the movie rights, and now they're just punishing their readers and not the studios if they discontinue FF/restrict X-men titles.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    All of which will have ZERO effect on any movies made. The amount of hubris from Marvel here is staggering. It's amazing that in the ever-shrinking US comics market, they think they have anywhere near the tiniest fraction of the impact or profile of the movie industry.

Marvel holding back X-Men comics will have about as much effect on the next X-Men movie as if my nephew's second grade class decided not to do a school play about the X-Men.

Exactly. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

All of them bad.

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, and it's pretty sad.

Marvel was hurting and had to sell movie rights. That move saved their asses, and eventually, they were able to create their own Studio... and then Daddy Disney came into the picture.

Marvel can do what they want, but they themselves are to blame for the situation, and Disney didn't jump in to save them earlier. I guess the only option now is to fuck over the X-Men fans...

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The saddest part is that I'm pretty convinced FOX has been making better X-Men movies than Marvel Studios would anyway. I don't want Marvel to get the movie rights back.

17. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I was already right there with you, but then DOFP really solidified that. More of that, please.