Marvel Netflix series Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I fail to see the difference. Live action or animation is irrelevant. What matters is staying true to the source material. Hell, Sentai and Kamen Rider have proven you can pull it off just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We watched episodes 6-8 tonight, they were good, but good god did episode 6 feel like it was 2 hours long. It just kept going with little to nothing happening.

Episodes 7 and 8 were quite good though, especially the stuff surrounding Mary. I also loved every scene with Misty, especially when her and Colleen were in the car talking about snacks.

The Chinese Nick Fury dude also had some great lines when referring to Devos. On the other hand, I can't wait for that dude to get what he deserves. He's a pretty lame villain and just so generic looking. He doesn't look cool at all. If you're going to be a villain, OWN THAT SHIT!

Poor poor brother dude. I wish I could feel sorry for him, but he put himself in this situation, so he's getting his just desserts.

Two episodes to go and I also have to say the music in this show has gotten so much better compared to the first season. Of course, the whole thing is better, but good god is Danny still a boring character. It's everyone else that makes him watchable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not for grown people. I mean, it's cool you like it, and I like some of it, but Marvel is aiming for an audience of normal people. And sentai & Kamen Rider are weird examples since they are their own source material anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Think 8 episodes is the way to go like The Defenders so they can stop it with the 2 to 3 filler episodes.

5. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm sorry, but why do you keep finding excuses to ensure you are in the right? What about the Sentai and Kamen Rider series aimed for adults? Akibaranger, Amazons, The First, ZO? Or how about Garo? The Japanese have proven costumes work in live action. If an audience can buy a story about people with super powers, they will buy the people wearing costumes.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    bahahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  7. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    ...You...how have they proven you can pull that off?

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Through his confirmation bias. He enjoys those things, so that makes him think they work.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Don't worry, it will when Disney spins up it's own streaming service. Then they can ensure the quality of the Netflix Marvelverse declines steadily through their involvement while attempting to create quality on the shows on their service.

As for the whole costume discussion, I for one am shocked that anybody gives a crap about it. I care whether the characters work and the story flows. The costume is like wrapping paper. When I get a gift, I really don't care if it's wrapped or not. I'm having a hard time believing someone can get so emotionally invested in the costume. The character means so much more than that. On that note, Danny's definitely the worst character on his own series. Flat, dull and uninteresting. But there's some good stuff around him. His girl and her backstory are far more fascinating, the little glimpses we get of it. Hopefully the whole family crest situation goes somewhere next time out.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once these go to Disney, I'm officially done with it. I enjoy these shows, but not enough to subscribe to another service.

I don't really care about the costume either. Didn't even cross my mind...but that's mainly bc there are so many other things I don't like about Iron Fist. The Davos and Bakuto being at the top, then closely followed by Danny. Davos and Bakuto have got to be the least engaging and most boring villains in the Netflix Marvel shows. Hell I'd take Diamondback over those two.

I finished last night. It's like the writers don't even like Danny.

Mary's great! I don't need the half white painted face. Hope she interacts with Daredevil in the upcoming season.

11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Clearly they do.

Why is it so hard for you to picture super hero costumes in live action?

12. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Because the Netflix Marvel tone is drastically different than Kamen Rider or sentai.

No one is against costumes in this stuff, but only if it comes to the characters journey naturally.

13. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    because it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the world the show has created....a literal shiny spandex halloween costume looking outfit in the MCU cannot be taken seriously. it will look so wildly out of place alongside 10 years of the established looks and tones the MCU has created. these costumes look as they do for functionality and protection...as anyone that would seriously do the things these characters would do would clearly look for in a costume....not rags from AC Moore.

we laughed at the costumes from inhumans for looking like cheap cosplay garbage. it may work for sentai in japan...but this isn't japan...and it's not sentai.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The costumes for Inhumans looked cheap because they didn't actually make them look like the comic costumes. They didn't put any effort in them either. It looks like they bought fabric from Dollar General and called them high production.

Yes, I get that some costumes might not work as well in live action, but they have clearly shown with their movies and with DareDevil that it can be done. Hell, CW has 80% of their heroes in costumes and no one complains about that. It can be done, it just needs to be done with care. Villains are another story though for another debate.

Anyway, we just finished season 2 and it did go into unexpected areas in the end, especially with that month's later stuff. WTF? o_O  I did not know they could do that with the powers. Also, the dude playing Danny looked like that was the most fun he had the entire season. Why the hell was he not acting like that the entire time? Instead he was the same monotonous douche he was in Season 1, just with better writing for the narrative.

I was quite pleased with what they did for Mary and I really hope we finally get to see Typhoid Mary and Kingpin together in the next DD season. Oh that would be a glorious experience!

BTW, people said there was a post-credit scene, but I didn't have one. As soon as the credits ended the Netflix logo came up.

15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, unlike DC Marvel seems to hate costumes. Take the Avengers, I could barely recognize Captain America now that he is basically "beared blond guy in black armor" without his trademark costume, shield, helmet... Does not help that there are 2 other bearded blond guys in the movie as well.
    The flashback scene where Davos and Danny fight using the classic Iron Fist mask/hat made me hope they would at least get those costumes by the end, but nope.

This season was... OK I guess? It did not make me stop watching and delete the episodes, like with Jessica Jones 2, but I was not as much invested to binge-watch like Luke Cage.
    But I was really disappointed in the ending. Now Danny is not even the Iron Fist anymore? I mean I liked the characters same as in season 1 - Danny and Colleen make a far better couple than Luke and his ex-girlfriend or especially Matt and Elektra, and they are good people... But this should be about the titular character, and while throughout the series he has been changing and learning, then the show suddenly just pulls the rug out from under him and basically makes him a side character in his own show. This is the same problem I feel with many superhero shows - they are doing things too quickly. This is just his third appearance in these TV shows, it was too early to take his power and move on to the next Iron Fist. I felt the same way when the Flash introduced Wally West and Jay Garrick - it was too early for that.
    I did like Davos, his performance and his sheer will and belief in how he is right in everything he does was very well done. The fact he and Danny are (adopted) brothers here, unlike in the comics where Danny never knew him and he was an enemy of his father, makes their relationship the more complicated. But throughout the whole Triad war I kept thinking why cannot any of these gangsters just BUY A GUN and shoot Davos? He is not bulletproof... (Btw, they say "Triads" a lot, I thought there was only one Triad, same as the Yakuza it being "THE" chinese crime syndicate throughout the world, no?)
    Typhoid Mary felt like they wrote her into the story after the script was done. She really isn't there for most of it, and her story is told too slowly. They did a variation of her origin by having her businesslike bounty hunter/soldier personality (Walker) be the original one and Mary being the separate one, but she was nowhere as crazy as in the comics. Plus, she had no powers either. And her third Bloody Mary personality was nowhere as deranged as in the comics, that one just wanted to kill Davos for the same reason Walker did... so not much difference.

Btw, at the end they are looking for Orson Randall - he was an earlier Iron Fist during WWI. Orson Randall (Earth-616)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You're right about established tones. The Marvel movie/shows decisions have been fine and expected for what they are, who owns them, and the target audience. It this was a live-action take on, say, "The Venture Bros" or Grant Morrison's "Flex Mentallo", then yeah, go nuts and ridiculous since those are mature audience aimed satires to begin with.

17. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no one here is against heroes wearing costumes. i dont' think a single person ever once said "no costumes"...the main argument was can it transition well and ironfist, with the colors and especially that mask, may not. that's a legit concern and could be a legit reason for them not doing it. i could just look goofy as hell. not that we don't want the costume but how is it going to look when it's all said and done. cartoons you can get away with it looking like spandex but for live action the spandex look just looks off...it's not very realistic with how people would want to dress when actually fighting crime IF they can make a suit that offers protection...even something as basic as hawkeye's suit in the first avengers movie is more practical than spandex because of roadrash....spandex would get torn to shreds and he'd get cut up. but with something as simple as a bit of leather he's got some protection.

i only brought up the cheap looking inhumans costumes because you mentioned budget cosplay and sentai...that style will not work in MCU. as a starting out costume when you're on a budget (like spider-man's homemade suit or daredevil in season 1) yes of course but not for the real deal. both those characters eventually upgraded as they should have. unless the character is always supposed to have a low budget costume like kickass for example. but rand has money....he ain't going dollar general fabric.
    but again all those costumes have a real work practicality look behind them...no one is wearing sentai looking spandex. no one's complaining because WE WANT the costumes even if it's just little nods like captain cold. it's not his costume but it's recognizable enough....but again...if they look good. in my opinion commander steel's costume looks like garbage especially with the mask. i must not be alone because he really doesn't wear it often...he just goes all colossus with street clothes like 90% of the time. and people complained about the costume for the rival looking stupid in flash. i also think people mocked spartan's helmet for a bit too.

we want the costumes...we want them to look good. if they look bad you have to ditch them or come up with another costume.
    i don't think he was doing what he was doing AS captain america though. i think he was going rogue....also why he didn't have the shield...and it was their take on the nomad persona steve took back in the day....just that his costume wasn't as ridiculous as it was.
    well yea exactly....if it's crazy and ridiculous that goes out the window...but when shows are trying to be grounded in some form and have an overall tone in costume design certain do it yourself costumes won't look right....hell imagine the airport fight in civil war and spider-man has the homemade costume not the stark tech one....how out of place would that have been?

• Like Like x 2
  18. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It was just the Daredevil S3 teaser that was posted here early on

• Like Like x 1
  19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually the Infinity war Cap outfit was the movies take on this:
    Steven Rogers (Earth-616) from Captain America Vol 1 345 0001.jpg
    It only became US agents suit AFTER Steve Rogers wore it

20. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In NYC, they are referred to as Triads (ie he's a Triad or that store is run by Triads, etc) but I don't think anyone's going to correct/care you saying "the" Triad.

Since you seem to read IF, who else in his rogue gallery could be used next season?