Non-TF: Marvel Legends Venom Movie Version

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Nightwind, May 10, 2020.

1. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Ok, so I know a ton of people thought the Venom movie was not the best. While I admit that there were some obviously drastic liberties taken with the origin story, I actually thought that the movie was pretty good. I also really enjoyed the design for Venom and how there were a ton of familiar elements even without his signature spider symbol.

Since we haven't received this version in Marvel Legends form (yet), I decided to make one for myself. Base figure is the recent redeco of the Monster Venom BAF.

He was sprayed in a black base coat, sealed with a clear matte, painted details using Folk Art acrylics, sealed once again with a clear matte, and then finished off with floor polish mixed with a very small amount of white to give him a hazy shine.

After looking at the pictures, I definitely need to add more white veins. I held back because I didn't want him to get too busy, but it looks like I held back too much.
    I also decided to paint his claws just because I felt the hands and feet were looking a little plain. Not sure how I feel about them now, though. I may go back and paint them black again. Still, I hope you all enjoy the newest addition to my ridiculously large Venom collection!

As always, comments and critique are always welcome!

0510202238.jpg
    0510202238a.jpg
    0510202238b-1.jpg
    0510202238c.jpg
    0510202240-1.jpg

*Edit* Had a chance to work on this guy some more yesterday. Added more white veins using the same FolkArt acrylic paint as before. Looks much better in my eyes. I also gave him several coats with a RustOleum full gloss to give him that wet look. Overall, I'm very happy with how he turned out!
    0517201036a-1.jpg
    0517201037-1.jpg
    0517201038-1.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey,
    nice work again there :thumb 
    I am definitely looking forward to see more white veins on him. But I also suggest to you to do the opposite thing than what I suggested for your Swamp Thing: Make the black as glossy and deep as possible. Venom looked like he was consistently wet in the last movie. I'd really like to see this look on your figure. IF you like that of course. Otherwise I'd suggest to make it even more mat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nightwind

Thanks! The extra veins are a must for sure. The floor polish definitely gave him more shine than before, but it's definitely not as deep as I would like. I may just pick up an extra gloss spray at some point this week and give him another coat.

As always, I really appreciate your input!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nightwind

Original post updated with pictures of the changes made. He's officially done now!

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Fallen

The Fallen Retired Collector

Man, that thing is slick. The gloss really does take this figure from "average" to "wow!" Plus, it really does look like it stepped right out of the film. Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Cool!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nightwind

Thanks so much! I usually prefer matte finishes on my customs, but this guy needs to have that wet look to really sell the effect. He stands out on the Venom/symbiote shelf for sure. :) 

Thanks! I really like your paint style, so I take this as high praise! Much appreciated!

Thank you very much! :) 

• Like Like x 1