Marvel Compendium coming this Fall, according to press release!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GreyFox787, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never read (or even knew about) the UK stuff until later, so I just assumed Xaaron was a new OC introduced…

• Like Like x 2
  2. SlagginAutobrat

SlagginAutobrat Active Member

They're in storage right now, but happy to link a tutorial showing the method!

These two are a general guide to hardbacks, and/or painted covers, though I recommend better materials than shown here (recommendations can be found in description):

These two are if you wanna do leather covers, as opposed to simply doing hardcovers:

General guideline to recommedned materials, though again the description of both tutorials also has some good suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    This is great and all; I may back it. But holy hell just put all that content online in ebook shops please.

I am so sick of integral parts of comic series getting locked behind exclusive releases and remaining inaccessible to most readers. I don't need collectable tomes; I need that material to be out there and easily readable.

• Like Like x 5
  5. AutoDecept

AutoDecept Active Member

News Credits:
    They will be releasing ebooks at the same time that the paperback versions come out.

• Like Like x 4
  6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Kickstarter?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, for hardcover versions of the compendiums.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I'm really against companies doing this, but I hope the folks that want 'em get 'em. The softcovers / ebooks hopefully will have the same internal content.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SlagginAutobrat

As long as the paperbacks are trade rather than mass market -- they're comics, so it's probably safe to assume that'll be the case -- then I won't be too upset as long as the actual content is up to snuff, since I can iron off the cover and make a hardcover myself.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never done a Kickstarter, but this piques my interest.

I'd love for a full run of GI Joe.

No mention of European Missions, but if that's there, we'd need Action Force 1-50 and Annuals. I don't expect it, but it'd be nice.

TBH, I'm guessing the only reason IDW didn't finish the GI Joe HCs and Marvel TF UK was poor sales so maybe this is Skybound's way of testing the waters

• Like Like x 1
  12. SlagginAutobrat

That makes sense, collected comics RARELY get hardcover releases outside of Marvel and DC due to them having the lion's share of collector profits. And even that's not necessarily saying much (speaking purely economically/not in terms of quality), since comics have a very niche audience size following the '90s crash. So it seems like they'll at least commit to the entire collection for Marvel on paperback, since they've already announced it, and if it does well enough they might do IDW universe 1 (I doubt they'll do universe 2).

Even then, I think this would literally have to do MARVEL MASTERWORKS AND DC OMNIBUS numbers for them to consider a hardcover; hence why unfortunately few publishers outside of those big two can afford the upfront cost it would take to publish their work in hardcover at all, since the consumer base just isn't large enough they could make a profit on the more expensive binding*

*(to be clear, that's "more expensive" when doubling the production cost for retail price, not necissarily more expensive in a DIY cover-making sense).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dadbot

Dadbot Well-Known Member

My kids have been waiting for this for so long, it's such a pain to track down those old marvel comics and collections. My only worry is the binding, does anyone have experience with these compendiums? A 1,000 page paperback sounds like it might fall apart...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the 1st Invincible Compendium, and it was ok. I sold it when the HCs came out.

These are the best bang for your buck and be viewed that way. If you're going to read it a lot, it will probably fall apart.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Just got a notification from Amazon that shipping has been delayed until Feb 2025. :/

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Xarron was a pretty important character in marvel UK for someone who didn't have an official toy. Leader of the underground resistance on cybertron who hadn't transformed in years and was afraid it would kill him his key stories were target 2006, prey (the parts on cybertron) City of fear saga and later the unicron saga in marvel us.

He was sort of a mentor to optimus a role that I think alpha trion is more associated with so maybe it kinda made him redundant a tad in some fans eyes.

It's kinda how I always saw kup in the animated movie. Kill off one old bot in ironhide and replace him with another.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know all that NOW, but I didn’t back in the 80’s. I read the UK stuff as soon as the first opportunity came up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some great stories there. I envy anyone only getting to read them recently.

I do wonder if we will get an official release of xarron under the comics banner? It's just strange that an autobot leader that doesn't have the name prime hasn't been made yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slender102

Slender102 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMG_2417.png

Nothing on TF yet but I got an update on the Joe Kickstarter next week. There’s Joe and Cobra editions and if they follow suit with Transformers we’ll probably get Autobot & Decepticon colours. Of course no price but it was the first I’d seen it say it will be all in reading order in a deluxe and premium format, no newsprint. They also said they’ll have limited day one only items to back as well. I’m expecting expensive.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    God damn if the Transformers gets a compendium release like this, I hope it includes all of the UK stuff... That would be epic..

• Like Like x 2