Martial arts: who trains in one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HAve trained in Judo since 19. 2nd Degree black belt as of May 2008

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the martial art that the Israeli Defence Force uses and is based on the principle of doing the most ammount of damage in the quickest possible time and then running away. A perfectly practical defense system :D  I'd be taking classes right now if it wasn't for my busted knees.

3. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Tae Kwon Doe.
    Takes a while to advance belts at least where i go, but after around 9 years I finally got my black belt
    9.10.11 B)

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a black belt in gettingmyasskicked-su.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I actually just got my fourth black belt in a martial art this last Sunday. I was promoted Shodan (1st degree black belt) in Matayoshi Kobudo (basically Ninja Turtle weapons) after training for 4hrs on Friday, 9 hrs on Saturday and undergoing a 4 hr test on Sunday. My reward is that now I have to buy a $235 Eaku (oar) and a $250 Nunti-Bo (spear). Boy this is an expensive hobby...

6. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Just imagine in the days of Miyamoto Musashi......some people carved those weapons out of wood with their hands and tools :D 

7. Sentinel

News Credits:
    That must be what this lady does because dayyyyyumn are they expensive.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Took Tang Soo Do for a couple years, starting when I was 8.

For the better part of the past decade I've been studying Tai Chi Chuan Fa. Pretty small, not very well known. Our founder is a 50+ year vet and ranked Professor of Kajukenbo, and from that he created his own style.

Right now I rank as a Brown Belt. Been taking time off for various reasons before training and testing for my Black Belt.

As for my motivation, I watched a lot of Jackie Chan movies growing up. Always was my dream to be in a scene in one of Jackie Chan's movies.

9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    They can be. Imagine how much an actual Katana would cost you. No....not those $200 - $500 ones. The real ones that are hand made, with ray skin on the handles.......

10. Sentinel

News Credits:
    Yeah, as with anything, quality stuff is expensive. My weapons are very expensive, but they are definitelymhigh quality and definitely worth it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  11. Sentinel

News Credits:
    I just did the morning workout session with Grandmaster Ji Han Jae who is credited as one of the founders of the martial art Hapkido (the Korean version of Aikido, the martial art made famous by Steven Seagal). I've been training in Hapkido for about 15 years or so, so to get to work with a living legend like that is pretty neat.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Kyokyushin

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I want to go back into taking classes for one, something that's late night, and also something that helps in my cardio!

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think Alphie had a thread like this a while ago. But I'll bite.

Over 18 years (18 YEARS!? Since I was 15...) I've mainly trained in...

Shotokan Karate, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Wada Ryu Karate, Shaolin Gong Fu (Wushu).

I've also dabbled a little in Goju-Ryu Karate, Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, and some other stuff. You know, when you go around to different classes to try them out for a while and see how other things are done, some were with friends who trained at those classes, some I was by myself.

I've also studied through (books and the like) Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga, and that was actually quite helpful as well. The Krav Maga stuff helped me understand some of the circular motion bodyblocks/arm checks that we were being taught in the Shaolin class, the Jeet Kune Do stuff helped me understand some of the stuff my Shotokan Sensei taught us.

I've also done some weapon work, primarily Nunchuku, taught by a couple of my Sensei (and book work). Also Staff and fighting sticks, that kinda thing. Touch of Tonfa's, swords, Sai and things you're introduced to but chose not to pursue.

And everything sort of blends into on another in my head. I remember sparring in Shaolin classes with a guy who was twice my size, but I was quicker and intercepted everything he threw at me, interupting all his strikes and leaving him open to counters. I was cadence breaking and doing little things you get taught to totally throw off his game and bloody hell it works. Thing was, he didn't know what I was doing, and was getting angry because it was all one sided and he thought all I was doing was just punching his hands...

Ah good times. The Muay Thai classes were structured in a way that they taught levels of Kickboxing, Thai Kickboxing and Muay Thai Kickboxing, with a clear distinction between them involving additional techniques. Really good cardio warmups.

The problem with the Shaolin classes was the dudes were from China, and their english wasn't great, so they had problems articulating what they were teaching. I had a big advantage over some other students because of previous training but even so I still resorted to looking up stuff I didn't understand fully.

Anyhoo right now all I can do is self train, my Shaolin school is now too far away to commute to in time for lessons and I can't start at any new school (I tried) because starting at basic is pointless. Which is annoying.

Having said that I know even with 18 years I don't know a lot. I recently had a conservatory put up, and the salesman turned up at 4:30pm ish to sell the conservatory. A little while into it (and he was done showcasing the company wares) he asks me,

'So what style do you do?'
    'What do you mean?'
    'Well I can see you do some sort of training.'
    'Really? How?'
    'Oh nothing specific, just the way you move and look at things.'

I talked to him about my training, turns out he's trained since he was 9 (he's now 49) in Judo, Wada Ryu Karate, and (IIRC) some form of Ju Jitsu. He used to run a Karate School in South East London, which he only recently closed because they knocked down the building his Dojo was in and because of age he wants to slow it down a bit.

He and his brother used to train in the 70's with the UK Judo squad, and were of that level, and while his brother made the squad, he didn't simply because his build was too slight for international competition. But back then he trained and was taught by people who met and challanged Bruce Lee and other American based fighters!

Blew. My. Mind.

He recounted tales of the way they trained in the 70s (no bagwork, more board breaking and hard conditioning strikes, which while I know is good in moderation, in the long run wrecks your body, hence one of the reasons he's quit teaching) and also his experience of fighting a Wing Chun guy in competition. Bear in mind in the 70's/early 80's not a lot of western people knew anything about Gong/Kung Fu.

Chinese Gong Fu was all secretive and stuff, and I said if you went up against a Wing chun Guy with straight out Karate, his Karate must have probably had lots of problems against the Wing Chun, which he admitted he did. He did beat the other guy (I speculated that he must have been given a lot of time to formulate different plans of attack because the Wing Chun fella must have given him a lot of breathing room, because he was waiting for my friend to come to him, and that was pretty much what happened), but all the weird Wing Chun blocking motions he had never encountered before, and to a degree, still never has because afterward his training continued down his path and again, in the 70's/80's he could never find out more about Chinese Martial arts.

Anyway we talked and talked (he really knew his shit) I showed him the film Ip Man and he didn't leave until 11pm that evening. We still keep in contact, but he's a bit sore at me because all our talk inspired him to start up training hard again, but his body is complaining a lot.

Great guy.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude that line abt way u move n look at things just makes me think u doing these exagerated kung fooey moves even when doing mundane stuff like laundry, doing dishes or working on something in PS for cool stuff thread :lol 

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL. Yeah, I wash my clothes like how Dick Grayson washes his things in Batman Forever...

Nah I think he noted stance and posture.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My dad actually does, or rather did this thing called silat. Even when up to a cave in a mountain to do solitary meditation, went a year w/o rice back in the 70s.

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

BJJ n Muay Thai..tho i havent been able to do much since i recently dislocated my shoulder cliff diving..:banghead: 

19. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

What kind of jerk quotes himself?

Anyways, is there any suggestions that you guys have? The late night thing is irrelevant.

20. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I did karate as a kid but dropped it to focus on competitive swimming.