Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lot of people are saying he looks a bit like his saturday supercade version.

2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol 

EYY LUIGI BETTAH NOT LOOK IN THE TOILET- OHSHIT.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm way off base, but from what we've seen so far, it seems like two things are true. 1) Mario has defnitely never seen the Mushroom Kingdom before, and doesn't possess the heroic abilities or proficiency he normally would. And yet 2) everyone, including Bowser, seems to think he's a threat to Bowser's victory and that everything relies on him.

So logically, following from those two things, either there has to be some sort of "prophecy" of the plumbers who will save the world, or some sort of multiverse concept where in every universe a "Mario" is destined to stop Bowser. Or some kind of variation on that basic theme. Otherwise it doesn't make sense that they'd have so much faith in a clearly comedically bumbling nobody who has no idea where they are or what's happening.

So my current theory is that they are "training" Mario to awaken his potential to be the hero they need him to be, and a lot of the movie will be spent with him just sort of amusingly stumbling around and not being very good at that, with Peach and company being the actual competent ones. To justify showcasing all of the references to the various games, maybe they are putting Mario through the things their legends or what have you say the "Mario" has to experience. Like fighting DK, etc. All of the things our "Mario" has done successfully in games, but that this one never has.

Then maybe despite being the competent one, Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser and that finally fires Mario up to become the hero. Or something along those lines. I feel like that's the kind of arc they seem to be indicating, at least from these trailers and snippets. And they did mention there being "a lot of galaxies out there."

That might sound like a kind of predictable A to B to C, simplistic story but, hey it's a kids' movie about Mario. By Mario standards that's about as deep as you can really get IMHO. :lol  So I expect something along those lines.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Well samus was pretty deadly in the nintendo power manga but get your point. Keep in mind they had two splatoon mangas out. A action one and goofy gag one.

The mario manga has lasted decades. Funny thing is daisy was added as peachs sidekick and was in stories like dr mario she was never part of in the games. This is one of the reasons why daisy is so loved in japan. Kids grew up with her in the manga! If peach was there, daisy was at her side.

Peach was toned down later into the more known version also.

From this--
    [​IMG]

to this--

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It's possible they're referencing the fact Mario is one of the Star Children

Star children - Super Mario Wiki, the Mario encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couple new seconds with Kamek talking

• Like Like x 3
  7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know for Samus, there was a strategy guide for the NES game that was done as a one-shot manga that had her (or him, one early part had Samus fantasizing about being flocked by bikini girls in a publicized victory celebration, though could also be Lesbian or bi) in a more humorous spin.

8. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I’m curious to know exactly why would the universe hing on Mario so much that other seemingly more competent characters couldn’t just end the plot there and then, lol.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  9. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    The author assumed Samus was male. This was before Samus being female was widely known.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

So after some more thought on it...

Obviously Jack Black was the best casting decision they made so far. The man's having an absolute blast and putting his all into the character. I saw someone else describe Jack Black's performance as sounding a bit like Disney's Pete, and you know? That's a pretty fitting descriptor and after thinking about it, Pete is probably exactly how Bowser would sound. Though just about anything's better than Sunshine making him sound like Spike the dog, from Tom and Jerry.

Charlie Day is just talking as himself. But he kind of has that nervous, neurotic energy that you expect from Luigi, so it works. Anya Taylor-Joy...I don't really know how to feel about her Peach. She's not the worst choice but I think she wasn't best choice either. And there's really nothing left to be said about Chris Pratt's Mario that hasn't already been said.

Now, the thing is? I don't actually mind them sounding more like normal people rather than like their exaggerated cartoon voices from the games. I wouldn't have a problem if they had those voices either, but sounding normal is fine too. Lou Albano and Walker Boone's Mario voices sounded like pretty regular people, too, along with Danny Wells and Tony Rosato's Luigi.

Thereby unintentionally making it seem like Samus is either bi or a lesbian.
    Personally, I find it difficult to picture Samus as anything other than "married to the job."

• Like Like x 3
  11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Maybe therein lies a twist. Peach doesn't actually have any noble intent for taking him in and training him, she's simply setting him up as a scapegoat. Get some poor sap from another universe who just wants to find his brother, convince him to make the effort to rally other kingdoms and battle Bowser, and let him lead the charge against the Koopas. While Mario's doing the dirty work, Peach can simply sneak around and exfiltrate the power star(s), thereby cementing herself as the true ultimate power in the galaxies.

Either her plan succeeds and Peach is the one to rule all, or the war against Bowser fails and she can at least pin any and all blame on Mario.

[​IMG]

Yes, Samus has never been shown to display any interest in romantic pursuits throughout her career. All of her relationships have been professional or platonic. She's a busy woman, no time for guys or gals when Space Pirates need blasting and exploding planets need escaping.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Like mach rider who many thought was a guy than turns out to be a girl. Leading to some confused artwork on machs gender as some game mags didn't know it was girl.

Fan art but thats what she looked like in the game. (her other outfit is a bikini of course.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    I like Day's Luigi. While his voice sound like, well. Charlie Day, the delivery feels very much like Luigi. Anya-Taylor Joy Peach is fine, though feels a bit "normal" if that makes any sense, feels like if it was higher pitched it would be a lot better. Black kills it as Bowser, he's definitely carrying the whole movie. Toad is surprisingly hilarious in these trailers.
    Yoshis!
    The Kongs!
    Shy Guys!

Pratt Mario continues to be the weakest part of these movies. He couldn't even try to make it sound less phoned in?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I always liked that this version of Samus can play a romantic rival while still being a take no prisoners 6 ft tall woman in a unisex battle suit. The woman knows what she wants. I like to think that version is the video game equivalent of Raye Hollitt's character from "Skin Deep" (who is pretty much the most decent person in that movie)
    DvcIAzvV4AAC2lZ.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Bowser actually sounds really intimidating when he’s roaring at Luigi “do you KNOW HIM?!?”

16. Gaastra

News Credits:

17. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    Miyamoto stated that he wanted this Donkey Kong to have a face resembling the derpy face of arcade DK. The overall design still resembles his DKC design.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I like to think of her as aroace.

19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Most probable ending for that: Mario will almost be defeated and Bowser will say something like "How do you think a simple, small plumber will defeat someone like me?" and Mario will say "With friends..." and Peach, Luigi, Toad and Toadette will show up with fire flowers, hammers, and cat suits. And it'll be a team effort to put Bowser into a position for Mario to make the knock out blow. The audience cheers and boys AND girls walk away with heroes in swimming in their collective heads. Because that's how we do it in 2023, for better or for worse.

In the end, I just want Luigi to be forced to wear the SMB3 frog suit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Agreed. We're accustomed to Bowser as a comical and affable villain, adjusting parental controls on his child's console and partaking in party games, but occasionally it does bear remembering he is an absurdly competent conqueror. It is nice how they've expanded on just how Bowser initiates his takeovers, both directly showing us his 'war' against the penguins and the aftermath of which (Look closely at Peach's war table, you can see the ice kingdom is near entirely reduced to ash, either outright destroying it or terraforming it into another ideal Koopa kingdom).

Oh we already know how Bowser's gonna meet defeat.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6