Maketoys Utopia (Metroplex)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Self admitted plastic-crack addict

This is MakeToys we are talking here.
    Wise business decisions have never been their strong suit.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    At the same time, it would probably cost eleven bajillionty dollars in 2023, which means no one would buy it and they'd be in the same spot they were when they released it the first time :( 

• Like Like x 7
  3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Skipping Dystopia is still one of my few collecting regrets. :/ I’d be up for any reissue, official or not, oversized or not.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I feel like it would still be cheaper than the aftermarket prices though. I sold mine back in the day for something like $100 more than I paid, and I wasn't even trying to make a profit or anything. Still wish I hadn't had to sell it though...

5. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Maybe... but I wouldn't underestimate TFSources ability to exclusivize and heavily mark up any MT bots lol

I'd buy the this out of a utopia tho. It was way more than I wanted to blow on a toy back when I was first discovering 3P.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Utopia was the first 3P bot I ever got, and I honestly questioned my sanity at spending so much on a figure. UNTIL HE ARRIVED AND HE WAS AWESOME. Also, lucky for me my disposable income has grown, because 3P figures regularly reach the same price or more, for less plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Utopia would shelf warm like a s.o.b. in today's collecting climate.

• Like Like x 6
  8. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Agreed. I've always been interested in the mold but I'm more into stylized one-offs than the average collector.

I foolishly thought the OSKO was a real possibility for some time :p 

• Like Like x 3
  9. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Why do you say that? Not disagreeing I just don't understand.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    For sure. Basically, everything has evolved into bigger scales and better engineering. Utopia isn't even big enough for legends figures.

Even now as pretty as its aesthetic is I feel that a large reason for this figure's allure is lack of real options. If stuff Liketoys' Davis and Fans Toys' Fort Max homage come to fruition I don't see this figure even being thought about.

• Like Like x 4
  11. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^^this guy gets it. the utopia days on a mass scale have come and gone.

the only thing that would fly off the shelfs with this mold. would be an OSKO with a couple of updated things like the faces, joints and random city stuff.

now if someone were to fund this at current titan size. they would literally be printing money.

• Like Like x 5
  12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    So the alt mode really doesn’t scale with even the Newage Autobot car alt modes? I figured the windows don’t match scale wise, but they don’t even fit the ramps?

13. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    It's really too bad that OS KO never came to fruition. I never got the original, sort of regretted it, sort of didn't. Would buy that OS version in a second though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Aaah gotcha. So it'd have to be bigger and have a whole line to scale with it or else collectors wouldn't be interested, since it's basically a one-off at this point? I can see that. Honestly it's why I love stuff like mastermade and the dr wu box trypticon thing, cause the only way I'd be able to collect a whole line of titans would be if they're tiny.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have one (bought from Maz from TF Square One) and regardless of scale, it's a great display piece. Mine sits just fine with legends as the centerpiece to the melee.

Let's face it , scale has long been subjective. So far as I'm concerned, if it looks cool, it's fine with me.

• Like Like x 5
  16. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Self admitted plastic-crack addict

I personally think Utopia sizes up pretty well with Titan Trypticon, but that's just my :2c: .
    the only way I will ever replace this guy us if someone makes a similar sized (maybe 2 inches taller?) with a few changes like tilted ankles and better shoulder joints. The rest though still holds up.

I will add that I don't have any legends stuff, so scaling and functionality with that lines isn't a factor for me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    People are going to be interested in what they're interested in and I'm talking about collecting trends of the majority. It's not just scale; the plastic would need to be better, much tighter joints more articulation, etc etc..

Times are different now. As much as people take jabs at MT for Seeker repaints, guess what? Thosr motherfuckers sell well where almost 100% of the stuff people ask for a reissue due to their personal lack of want to invest into secondary market prices would tank so hard that there'd be no Maketoys at all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That or remold a couple cockpits into it and sell it to the Diaclone reboot fans. Even in its current undersized form, it looks great with Dia-nauts. And those folks are constantly looking for base/diorama options.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I don't have newage figures, but core class Optimus fits, althoughIprefer how he looks with micromasters. Actually I never checked if the microfigures that came with the trench upgrade kit are the same size as the ones from Haslab Unicron, that might be another interesting option for display.
    As it has been mentioned, I do agree that this figure shines with TR Trypticon, they really look nice fighting to the death against each other. Still, I can't deny that in an era where companies are announcing 120cm tall citybots the appeal of Utopia would be greatly reduced.
    The funny thing is that if we'll ever get an official MP Metroplex, given the direction Takara went with the MPG line it might end up being a similar as Utopia.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Always liked this and would buy for reasonable price, especially if an OS version arrived!

• Like Like x 2