Maketoys Utopia (Metroplex)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? Ah ok, i have Utopia but hvaen't opened it. I was just perusing Maketoy website and i saw they news about parts was dated Jan26, that's why i thought it was news.

2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    None of those are actual issues, you're just not use to him and by extension maketoys products in general.

The transformation becomes incredibly easy and second nature eventually. Initially confused the heck out of me, 4/5 times later I was laughing at how dumb I had been at the start. The torso rail is very particular about how things need to move. If things aren't aligned properly then they won't move easily, simple as that. Just gotta be aware of what you're doing.

Maketoys make figures with strong joints, always have, always will. Force and lots of it is often required to ludicrous degrees. They are designed for heavy brutal handling and with many of their products your fingers will be killing you after handling it for a while for this reason. Lots of pushing fingers hard on to narrow pointy areas and course rough plastic surfaces I find, especially with their combiners. Don't be afraid of force on MT stuff, they have some of the strongest plastics in this entire markets products.

And yes the outer lower legs are designed to be flexed to move the ramps, you literally cannot transform the ramps without doing so. Its intended design, its why those outer parts are as flexible as they are.

Squeaky/loud plastic is just a natural occurrence with toys of this size with stuff rubbing the way it does sometimes.

3. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

I dunno why I skipped straight to that last line...

4. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks Lazy.

I just transformed this guy and had the same issues. Do this makes me feel a little better. When I slid the left shoulder back for battle station mode it slid all the way through and dropped out of the guide/slot and I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was going on.

The head/tower also felt slightly akimbo. Going to mess with him more today.

Also a screw just...fell out from...somewhere in the left leg. No clue.

I have Giant and Quantron so I'm familiar with their tolerances but this dude is something else.

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Nice!
    Spring from my helipad went flying and got lost :/

6. Blue Boy Scout

Blue Boy Scout First Avenger

Flying springs, screws falling out, shoulders falling out of the slots, my first maketoys product sitting nicely in its box. Anyone else feel like selling? Mine is great now, but I haven't posed or transformed it. Seems like this figure has cooled off some, would be willing to sell mine at a good rate if anyone is interested, just pm me.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I honestly haven't had any issues with mine.

8. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Nor mine, but we have a friend who has had a MAJOR issue with his.

9. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    After spending a little more time with him I discovered that the reason the rail is acting up is because...it's mis-assembled.

The rail slot is shaped like an L, and the rail is supposed to be an L. Instead it was installed...upside-down.

I'm going to go back and see what the shoulder issue was and if this is fixable. Chances are I'll just try and contact the vendor. Grumble grumble.

10. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

There's a fix within the recent pages, it's a pretty common issue. Just two screws and you can flip it the right way.

11. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    Cool. Thank you for helping I really appreciate it!

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It's been such a long time since my last posting, but I am still on the fence on this guy. Budget's a bit tighter now due to other financial commitments, so I am really trying to only buy the 3P's that I like (Combiners, dinobots, FP/MT stuff).

But from reading the later pages of Utopia, I cannot decide whether or not he is a good fit? The photos make him look amazing. Would everyone here consider him a "nice to have" after Generations Metro or really more than that?

I generally support FP/MT stuff, but this one I am just surprised to read about the issues and various fixes. I know the fixes have been posted for a long time, but ofcourse for a toy commanding such a price you'd think this should be kept to a min....

So is there anyone that can comment on really, the QC issues and how wide spread it is? I believe in MT's design. I simply don't have the time to buy one to fix up to display at this time. The end result is, is it really worth the price tag it commands at the moment, given these QC issues?

14. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is the best figure of that size I have ever owned if that helps you. He is, imho, a centerpiece item. I had no issues with mine, not even the "wide spread" assembly issue with the rails. He was perfect.

As to, is he worth the money, that depends on you. I bought Quantron around the same time and paid the same. Utopia felt more worth the money to me. $400 is a hard pill to swallow for any toy so in that respect, for me personally, this felt like an extravagance I probably won't do again soon for something else (special occasion). I would buy figures of this size all day long for $300 a pop though, so take that how you will. When their Scorponok comes out though, I won't hesitate based on their performance with Utopia if it priced the same.

Hope that is useful to your decision. I dont see me ever selling mine which is about the best compliment I can give to a figure after owning it for 2-3 months.

P.S. I also have SDCC Metroplex and have no issues owning both. They are doing very different things. Utopia is more the metroplex I always wanted as a kid, the hasbro offering is very large and has a unique design in its own right - but its nowhere near the achievement that Utopia is. Either way you go, hooray for having a modern Metroplex!

15. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It'd take you less time to get it out of the box than do the gray sliding piece fix.

From reading your post, it seems like your money might be better used for other things at this time as it reads like you're talking yourself out of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just thought of something.... for those people who don't like the visble screws on one shoulder and not the other, just swap opposite shoulder covers with another board member.

16. Blue Boy Scout

Blue Boy Scout First Avenger

If it helps I didn't have any Qc issues with mine, but I also wasn't blown away that this was worth what it cost either. I think it's a good figure but personally for me I wasn't wowed by it. It does look good in pictures but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I have other 3rd party purchases.

17. Window

Window Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved it, no QC issues on mine and have found playing with him and transforming him to be fun.
    He is the reason I've gotten the Iron Factory figures too.

18. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

Had a buttload of QC issues on mine (Missing spring, missing windows on one of the buildings, missassembled railing. But TFSource dealt with them.

Now he's back to plain awesome.

19. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have 2 cracks in the folding hinge in one of my leg ramps. Also a real bad paint smudge on the same ramp. Looks like someone dripped oil or grease on it. Contacted my retailer and they are still waiting to hear back from MT for replacement part

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Well, I do have the budget for it, but it's like a choice on tf budget currently, where IF I go for Utopia, then I would basically "choose" to skip out on a 3P combiner.

Thanks for the responses guys, that's good to hear, I mean, an MT product is always tempting, though combiners have always been a part of my heart, so I am trying to decide say, probably selling a predaking (I have all 3), or maybe trading away Genesis would be worth getting this one. So it's like, there's a budget for it, it's just whether I should push to get this over others.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments! I will for now, still sit at the sidelines and see what happens!