Maketoys Thunder Manus (Powermaster Optimus Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Aug 21, 2016.

?

Are you interested in getting this?

1. Yes

59.1%
  2. Maybe

23.1%
  3. No

17.9%
  1. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    We're these in color?

2. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Nope, just greys.

Honestly couldn't say if it was resins or renders actually :/

3. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Just wondering wether it's a Prime or maybe a Magnus. Obviously you would have caught that....

4. Phoenix Blaze

Oh, Thunder Convoy is most definitely a powermaster prime. He has an actual little powermaster dude, it's unmistakable.

5. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    any word on more Manga mech releases? that's my fav line

6. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

You said Seekers. Is it only the original 3 or are the coneheads involved?

7. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main three were clearly shown, there is a 4th one whose color have lead to guesses of Ramjet, but he doesn't have a conehead. I think it was called Pursuer.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    So this is basically their take on PM Optimus? Wonder if they'll retooled it into their take on Ultra Magnus?

9. Phoenix Blaze

Sadly not but some of the Cross Dimension stuff looks like it takes cues from that general design.

I've attached two pictures of Striker Manus' shoulders which is clearly for some future armour but IT IS NOT for Thunder convoy.

It looks like we'll have versions of Prime, Magnus and PMP. Just speculation on PMP but when we asked about them making a PMP kit for Striker they outright said no and we'll Thunder Convoy is why. They didn't shoot down the prospect of *some* kind of armour kit though.

Attached Files:

10. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He better be getting an armor set otherwise theirs literally no point at all for him to have all that design for one.

11. Phoenix Blaze

I'll try to clarify as the Maketoys guys were obviously not keen to give everything away.

As it stands we have Manus, we're getting Thunder Convoy which is a new toy altogether.

When we asked about an armour kit they were a bit wink wink about the whole thing and considering the way Manus is built it's clear that he will one day have an armour kit but that is not Thunder Convoy and nor was it shown or even hinted it.

Everything related to a Striker armour kit is pure speculation but speculation based on the toy itself clearly being ready to take a kit and some serious ambiguity from Maketoys themselves.

12. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Aaaaaak. Just SHOW US THE THUNDER already, Maketoys!

This has become my most anticipated reveal. I want them to hurry up so I can get being disappointed over with!

13. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Makes sense. Wish we were getting the armor before an entirely other new figure though. :( 

14. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

I asked them this question in Toronto last month and was told Cross Dimension and Re: Master are the main focal points at the moment. They went on to say nothing is off the table, but the impression I got was that everything else is back-burnered for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    That's enough for me. I don't mind waiting until they've got everything else out of their system. :D 

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering that Striker Manus is basically the Classic Voyager Optimus mold of Steroids, is is possible that his armor upgrade is the recent FansProject Paralax set, or something similar, where it transforms with him?

[​IMG]

17. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Having been sat at the same table as you, I feel like I might as well weigh in too. :) 

The pics of Thunder Convoy and Manus side by side (and I am pretty sure they were grey proto pics, not renders) made it clear that they weren't the same toy. They were about as different as if you stood Legends Prime next to Classics Prime. I won't entirely discount some possibility of the Thunder armour set interacting with Manus somehow, but the small "cab" robot really doesn't seem to share anything with Manus, too small in every dimension. Manus's design means that it doesn't even seem like there's a "frame" they could share parts of.

With that said, what Mr P B forgot to mention is that from the teaser art we saw during the presentations, there was also what I can best describe as a "Zombie Magnus"... In the same way that the Seekers were wearing bits of Dinobot and using them as armour, Post-apocalypse Mad Max style, this is the kind of Ultra Magnus that might have managed to survive in that world... Rusty and battle-damaged, kinda green and brown instead of blue and red, with a big hole in the armour. My money would be on Striker Manus having a suit of armour related to this, which doesn't share tooling with the Thunder Convoy toy.

There was a small chuckle as I commented to the chap running the event on Striker Manus's hugely overengineered shoulder articulation being for an inevitable upgrade suit of powered armour, for what it's worth ;) 

18. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    At Tfcon it was pretty much the same thing said when testing the Striker Manus, that they cant make official comment on it, but he himself pointed out right there to answer my question further and unofficially there seems to be a lot of tabs not used for anything and one would think something would come and attach to it later.

My guess, and only a guess, is Striker first has to be successful on it's own to start the line properly and see if there is interest for such a new line, where currently everyone is switching Masterpiece scale and look. I think it is very good that Striker Manus was engineered to one day allow things to attach to it armor style, instead of having to figure out ways to attach to a mold later and not be as seemless. I remember being disappointed at some of the macross toys from Yamato not having been designed from the get to support armor, and then either have a none seemless armor somehow plug to it, or having to do a version 2 of the same toy.

I think MT knows that the MP line cant go on forever, with so many 3rd parties doing the same thing, and is limiting to new cool designs. I hope it is successful, same way as the MMC Reformatted line.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    See, everyone's been expecting Striker Manus to have a PMP-style armor. I wonder if Thunder Convoy is their way of getting PMP out so that when they do finally give us an armor for Striker is something totally different than anything we'd normally expect for an "Optimus" upgrade.

20. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Besides basic aesthetic similarities and a mostly "typical" optimus transformation it has almost nothing in common with classics prime. Furthermore the designer behind that set is an entirely different designer to the one working on this line of figures, who is the same guy behind their combiners.

So no the armor for striker will look almost nothing at all like that fansproject burning dumpster fire thank god.

That's my assumption too. MT seems to want "optimus with armor" and their take on super ginrai to be two entirely different things which makes sense from the perspective of having two overall better and more unique products.

But of course has the downside of both taking longer to complete and the super ginrai likely being much more expensive as a result.

• Like Like x 1