Maketoys Quantron not-Computron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DrillBIT, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

I printed mine in "Black professional Plastic." I would recommend doing the same. The "Professional" Plastic seems to have the perfect temperment for this job. it's tough, but flexes perfectly to clamp on. It's got a tough, fibrous sort of feel to it, ridgid, but not prone to snap.

The color is more black than grey, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't call attention to itself.

I will let you guys know about the final price tomorrow or Tuesday. I may be able to just sell them from the site for much less. I have to sit down with the site and see what's what. I don't want to make a huge margin, but if I could recover what I have spent to develop the part (about $17 so far...) I would be pleased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Prometheus 073

I just ordered my second attempt. They did have a "Professional Grey" Plastic option, so I tried that for comparison. They should ship it by the end of the week. Hopefully this one will work right out of the box, and then you guys can order them!

• Like Like x 2
  3. fujikuro

fujikuro Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this!

4. mtblanks

mtblanks Champion of the sun

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You could print it in chartreuse, so long as we finally have a proper fix. This is much appreciated. :bowdown: 

5. Prometheus 073

Here's a video of the printed wrist replacement:

Dropbox - Wrist Project.mp4

Like I said before, I had to carve the stem on the mushroom peg to make it work. So I edited the product, and hopefully the next one I ordered will work right out of the box.

I have my Shapeways store set up and ready to go. As soon as I confirm the product works, I will open it up for business. Looks like they will cost about $15. I will make $3.00 per unit. If a bunch of you wanted to pool your money and order them together, that would save you a LOT on the shipping, which is $5.00 on a single unit.

It would probably be $5.00 for 20 of the parts; they are tiny.

• Like Like x 5
  6. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Ugh, mark me down for one now. Fucker just snapped on me. I knew I should have trusted my instincts and left him on the shelf.

7. Kayman26

Kayman26 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely down for one.

8. onslaught714

onslaught714 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm definitely down for this

9. Prometheus 073

Looks like the next trial part should be here Monday. If it works out of the box, everyone should be able to order on Tuesday.
    Thanks, I really hope I can help everyone out.

The clip I printed and installed on mine reamains strong. I have attached it and taken it off many times and it shown no signs of stressing, deforming, or breaking.

The next test print should arrive on Monday. If it works out of the box, you all should be able to order them on Tuesday!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Prometheus 073

Okay. So I got the next print in the mail today. It looked pretty good, but the proportions were just slightly different than the first printing. I think I may have made an error when I converted the file. But it was close so I tried it anyway.

I slid the part into the mushroom slot of the hand, and it fit perfectly. Great! I got the issue of the mushroom peg straightened out!

I went to put the hand on, and it was too tight. Damn. So I shaved a tiny bit off the little flaps. It slid on, but it was too tight and wanted to pop itself back off.

I shaved a little more, and tried again.

Snap! The clip broke, exactly like the original clips did.

Bummer.

I'n not certain what went wrong. The part needs to be re-sized. But also, I think the grey plastic is more brittle than the black. The black plastic seems to flex and just hold the tension. There's no sign of stress marks on my black clip. from now on, I will only use the black plastic.

Bear with me guys. I know I can get this. I got one half right last week, and the other half right this week. I just need to put the two successes together. I'm going to try again. I will VERY CAREFULLY tweak the CAD file, and request another print. It will get here some time next week. I fully expected to have to try this three or four times before I got it right. I feel in my bones that the next one will work!

• Like Like x 8
  11. Mondochuk

Mondochuk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m sure there are just a ton of people who appreciate the hell out of the hard work going into this. Shapeways was the first place I checked when mine broke. You rock just for tackling this.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Prometheus 073

Thanks. I know how much it would mean to me, so if I multiply that by 10 or twelve people, THAT'S how much happiness is on the line... It makes me very determined.

The hardest part of the "work" is ordering the part and then just WAITING the week or so it takes to get the package. That's just killer.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kayman26

Kayman26 Well-Known Member

Take your time, man, and don't worry about us. You're the one doing us a favor, the least we can do is be patient while you iron out all the kinks.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    How are you guys with the broken clips attaching and removing it? Because I’ve always angled it on instead of going in straight and the piece has held together fine for years now.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always just snapped it off and on by pushing/pulling it straight on, so as not to flex the clips unnecessarily. I've transformed mine quite a bit, with no signs of stressing, warping, or breakage. Not to say that the part's exactly indestructible, as it does look quite prone to damage if you do just one thing wrong (or maybe if the part is casted wrong, with a slight flaw).

16. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

The wrist issue applies to both the old and newer releases?

17. Prometheus 073

I've owned two of these sets. The first one I had was a boxed set, and I had no problem with that clip. Transformed it many times. This one I have now was the individual-boxed set of five separate boxes, and the clip just snapped the first time I went to clip it on. I don't think the manufacturing process was completely even for the run of the product. They may have identified the problem and made a slight change to something?

18. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Mine broke before I could settle on an approach. I basically touched it to the joint and that slight pressure was enough to make one side of the clip break.

Incidentally, TFSource hasn't replied to me recently. Has anyone else had any update from them about replacement parts? It's great that we have a 3D printed part coming available and that some of us have hacked up a fix but we shouldn't have to do that for a new toy this expensive, even if it was on sale.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hypno

hypno Well-Known Member

Same with me on breakage and TFSource updates. I also contacted Maketoys directly last month and didn’t receive a reply.

20. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

I'm in the same boat waiting for a replacement. I wouldn't hold my breath, these figures have been piling up in warehouses for years. And it appears the extra parts ran out some time ago. The chances of them producing more of just this one part are slim to none, as is the chance of retailers finding a hidden cache of just this one part.
    I'd jump all over this custom part once he gets it ironed out.

• Like Like x 1