Maketoys Quantron not-Computron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DrillBIT, Apr 29, 2013.

1. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Damn. I've assembled and disassembled mine a few times since I've had it and luckily I've never had that clip break. Don't think I'll be disassembling him again anytime soon just in case.

Although one of of Metalstorm's hands broke off last time I transformed him. I tried super gluing it back on but it didn't hold. Oh well, I'll just keep him combined forever, lol.

2. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

Well, I modeled the part as best I could, uploaded it to Shapeways, and ordered the part. Should have it in a week or so. Again, I somehow doubt my first attempt will work. More likely, I will get it, and then have to see how it works and how it does not, make adjustments, and order the part again. But if it does work, then it will mean I paid about $16.00 for the replacement part, which I think is acceptable.

Of course if it works, I could order a bunch of them for much cheaper, splitting the shipping and whatnot.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Part 5.blend.png

• Like Like x 5
  3. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    I just got my reply from TFSource. They say they're still waiting on their supply of replacement clips.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Do we get added to a list?

5. hypno

hypno Well-Known Member

The feel I got from the email I got was they’ve put in a requst for replacement wrists from Maketoys but are waiting now for Maketoys to tell them if they will send any.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prometheus 073

Success! The replacement wrist arrived today. It works perfectly. WAY better than I had hoped. The Plastic the part was molded in was IDEAL. Very strong, but flexible enough to snap right onto the not-Strafe. Very secure. Very easy to take on and off. The part is still the same dimensions as the broken part, so it still fits into the foot like it is supposed to.

There was a small problem with the size of the mushroom peg. The neck needs to be just a hair longer. Once I trimmed the part with a knife it worked perfectly. So I am going to adjust the model and order a second part in the mail. If it works perfectly out of the box, I will be able to start distributing them.

How many people are interested? Sound off here or PM me. I should be able to sell them for about $19.

• Like Like x 5
  7. mtblanks

mtblanks Champion of the sun

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm interested. Would the $19 include shipping?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prometheus 073

Well, when it's ready how would you feel about ordering the part right from the Shapeways site? That would save a step AND some postage. Although, it may make more sense for me just to order a dozen or so, since they are so small anyway.

I'll get back to you on that. I will also make a video next week to show the part off.

9. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

I'd be in too.

10. hypno

hypno Well-Known Member

I’m in, it will save me from having to make my Quantron a hook hand out of gum wrappers.

I’m not too familiar with shapeways do they offer a gray color similar to the original part? Do they have bulk discounts if enough of us pool the price of the part would drop?

11. twoodel

twoodel Well-Known Member

I would be interested!

12. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Id probably get a pair just as backup

13. Prometheus 073

I printed mine in "Black professional Plastic." I would recommend doing the same. The "Professional" Plastic seems to have the perfect temperment for this job. it's tough, but flexes perfectly to clamp on. It's got a tough, fibrous sort of feel to it, ridgid, but not prone to snap.

The color is more black than grey, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't call attention to itself.

I will let you guys know about the final price tomorrow or Tuesday. I may be able to just sell them from the site for much less. I have to sit down with the site and see what's what. I don't want to make a huge margin, but if I could recover what I have spent to develop the part (about $17 so far...) I would be pleased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Prometheus 073

I just ordered my second attempt. They did have a "Professional Grey" Plastic option, so I tried that for comparison. They should ship it by the end of the week. Hopefully this one will work right out of the box, and then you guys can order them!

• Like Like x 2
  15. fujikuro

fujikuro Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this!

16. mtblanks

mtblanks Champion of the sun

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You could print it in chartreuse, so long as we finally have a proper fix. This is much appreciated. :bowdown: 

17. Prometheus 073

Here's a video of the printed wrist replacement:

Dropbox - Wrist Project.mp4

Like I said before, I had to carve the stem on the mushroom peg to make it work. So I edited the product, and hopefully the next one I ordered will work right out of the box.

I have my Shapeways store set up and ready to go. As soon as I confirm the product works, I will open it up for business. Looks like they will cost about $15. I will make $3.00 per unit. If a bunch of you wanted to pool your money and order them together, that would save you a LOT on the shipping, which is $5.00 on a single unit.

It would probably be $5.00 for 20 of the parts; they are tiny.

• Like Like x 5
  18. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Ugh, mark me down for one now. Fucker just snapped on me. I knew I should have trusted my instincts and left him on the shelf.

19. Keiman74

Keiman74 Perfect geometric shape box

I'm definitely down for one.

20. onslaught714

onslaught714 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm definitely down for this