Maketoys Quantron not-Computron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DrillBIT, Apr 29, 2013.

1. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This doesn't go mentioned enough but Quantron has a lot of innovations that other companies should take inspiration from:

Nonslip pads on the feet (first seen on M3, same designer)
    Pistons that cover the elbow gap that comes from using the robot legs as gestalt elbows
    That massive arrow weapons
    The articulation to wield it
    Shoulder joints that have a massive range movement

• Like Like x 6
  2. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

I still haven't shipped my stash from when this set was $112 at TFSource, but I was admiring the piston/elbow gap filler parts in the pictures people have been posting lately - so simple and so ingenious.

3. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

I've never heard about the fragile clip issue till now, is it a frequent problem for Quantron owners? It's also because I never combined mine yet.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've transformed mine a ton and never had a problem with that clip. But I can easily see how it could be broken. The prongs are quite thin, relatively, and clips in tightly. I think most people just sort of instinctually wiggle parts back and forth to disconnect them, but in this case, that's liable to put stress on the clip and break it. I've been careful to only push it on and pull it off in a smooth, straight motion, and I've not had any problems with it.

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Do you have any pics of the broken part?

6. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

To get the plastic to hold better you should try modeling glue or some gorilla glue. Gorilla glue does a wide range of glues that typically have a stronger bond.

For the clip issue, if it’s the hand that attaches to the jet... I squeezed the legs together before pulling the hand off. Relieved a lot of pressure and made it easy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't have the problem at all on my original and never heard about it being a thing until recently. It's hard to know if it's an issue with the newer/separately released prints or just something to where more people buying will naturally lead to more people experiencing issues.

8. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

I finally got time to combine mine today. So far the only issues I've had were the little wing things on the space jet dude have loose pegs in robot mode. Fine in alt and combined though. And the combiner knees did feel like they would be too weak, but posing hasn't been an issue.

Otherwise, this dude is BEAST! Thanks for turning me on to this guy! He looks amazing with MT's Thunder Manus.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Really sucks to hear about these breakage issues with the combiner hand clips. I’m gonna have to say that it sounds as though this new batch was made with some crappier plastic, somehow.

I have been using that attachment point in an unintended way, and I can only imagine putting it through stresses that it was not designed for, by connecting it to SonicDrill as a “left hand of doom”, pretty much since the day I got this set (first batch) and with not so much as a stress mark to show for it.

0384BF0E-7F24-4106-88DD-AA243575AB35.jpeg 69B68601-B57A-46A8-B2E0-6783A50E8D11.jpeg E4D793EA-9EF9-4700-9A33-B96673A76FB0.jpeg

It’s really strange though because it’s not like these are some kind of recent/new production run, right? These seem to be the same batch of single packed figures from the previous shipment that TFSource had in their warehouse from the last year’s Black Friday sale(s).

I really do hope that MT will make some kind of replacement available on their site, like how they made all those replacement parts for their Axle figure. With all of the QC issues that that figure had, I believe that just about everyone was able to get the parts they needed. I even think that they made multiple batches when people asked that more be made available.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I still absolutely love this guy’s combined mode...

5E9F2E61-00DC-4021-A294-9271332BE9F3.jpeg 92357FA4-D7EF-45C5-83F0-AEA41D9E727C.jpeg 35C2DD75-3322-4100-838F-CBDC05508300.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  11. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go on Yes Model you know you want to overscale this fella too.

12. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

00EDB305-EC16-44DF-83A2-868473CDAAE4.jpeg

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, I was expecting a picture of a bent clip. That's a full-on shatter, which seems unusual.

Hopefully an imperfection in the plastic and just bad luck of draw on your part, and not evidence of degradation or something.

14. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Is that part just plain grey plastic, or metallic grey plastic?

15. daddytron

It definitely has some flecks in it, are you thinking some offshoot of GPS?

16. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
  17. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    That plastic was extremely brittle and the toys have presumably been sitting around for a while, so I think it's likely. I think the wrist is a bad design in the first place but I also think the material was expected to flex more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. onslaught714

onslaught714 Well-Known Member

So, I just got this set, and like many peoples, my connector for Blindfire's hand broke. What should my next course of action be? Try to fix it myself? Return my Metalstorm to Tfsource and get a replacement? Try to contact Maketoys themselves?

19. daddytron

I would contact TFSource, that's what I did. They told me they don't have the part but are getting it from Maketoys. That's no guarantee that MT themselves actually have any of those parts but the more people that call this in, the better chance that it will light a fire under somebody to find the parts...if they still exist or if it's possible for the company to print replacements.

20. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

If you can't get any help from TFsource or Maketoys, I've got a duplicate Not-Scattershot just so I could have a standalone figure and I don't need the combiner parts. Let me know what they say otherwise, shoot me a message and we can talk trade.