Maketoys Quantron not-Computron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DrillBIT, Apr 29, 2013.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Did you ever get an answer? I picked up the giftset over the weekend, and I got with it what looks like a replacement pelvis and lights for Sonic Drill, the inner torso piece for Celeritas, and a single ratchet piece that goes Primus knows where. No instructions.

Haven't combined him yet because I haven't messed with Metal Storm, but I've transformed all the limbs into their alt and limb modes (and opened the hand to swap connectors for so that Blindfire is the left arm and Overheat is the right).

2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pelvis is indeed for sonic, you need that in order for the combiner foot to properly attach for combined mode, very easy to swap out.

Celeritas' is too, just gotta unscrew the torso and swap it.

The tiny ratchet is for metalstorm, it fixes his original misaligned internal joint. Its a little trickier since you need to have the spring and other waist piece aligned properly to put it all back together.

Never heard about weak combiner knees before, ones on my original day 1 release set are crazy tight.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on what he means by floppy knees. If it's Metalstorm's ratcheting knee joints, then no, I've never heard of those having problems.

If it's the joints on Sonic Drill and Celeritas flopping backwards, then yes, it's a very common issue, but only one relating to learning how to transform those two properly. Have to make sure their combiner parts are tabbed in all the right places.

4. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I need to ask, cos it's been bugging me. My Quantron, from the original release day, aside from Metalstorm's misaligned waist, has been basically perfect. Were the issues with Sonic Drill and Celeritas endemic, widespread or simply a move by Maketoys to make those figures a little more user friendly?

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Sounds more like an ease of use thing. For sure there were plenty of people who said that they had no problems from the start.

I personally don't know for certain, because I swapped in the replacement parts the first thing I did.

6. Napalm

News Credits:
    That's what I thought.

I wasn't in a rush with any of them, not with it being an expensive set of five really quite excellent figures, so they didn't even see combined form until a week after purchase. I remember being painstakingly precise with tabs and getting things solid and that worked a treat, hence my question. He's not a pick up and play combiner by a long shot but remains the jewel of my gestalt collection.

7. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I don't remember what the specific purpose of the new torso piece for Celeritas was, but I do know that when I installed mine it had the added benefit of a much better-fitting balljoint for the head. The original on mine had something wrong with it.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same. For me there was something wrong with the balljoint so the head was always crooked. But after I exchanged the part it looks fine.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I think the piece for Celeritas had a longer tab, that was easier to peg into the arms to stay locked in place in combined mode.

10. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Celeritas' torso error was very very quickly addressed, it isn't an issue with any run of the set besides the very very first one, many us sellers of which never saw cause most of that first wave was exclusive to hk sellers.

The sonicdrill and metalstorm thing were 100% error rate, every single copy of the set had those flaws until they re-released it many months after and pointed out how it no longer needed the replacement parts.

The only possible way to know if your set is from before or after the part replacement standardization is to test out the three figures yourself.

If you have an original release, and never got the parts, yours certainly has those flaws. Your sonicdrill combiner foot won't hold on as firmly as the one with the new parts will which was the biggest issue, shocked you haven't encounted it in action. Tilt sonic enough and eventually the foot dislodges until you swap the parts. The old lights will also stress the clips on the combiner foot due to the over-thickened bars inside them, may eventually snap the clips on your set.

11. Napalm

News Credits:
    Right. Mine came in from the UK end of September '14. So by that reckoning, Sonic should've been faulty, and he just isn't. He takes effort though. Like, a lot of effort. But it pays off. So I just figured it was a fix for large frustrated male fingers.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Are you absolutely positively certain, because my original sonic held on pretty good, it took a good bit of jostling to eventually loosen him, but he did loosen. And my set was literally from the first week of release from the first seller that had it in stock.

The new one however, is so much more firmly attached you can hold quantron by that foot tip him upside down and shake him and it won't detatch. That's how strong the connection should be. I did that in my last update video for the new parts to prove the difference haha. Made me so happy discovering how much better it was.

13. Napalm

News Credits:
    Haha. I'm probably slightly too drunk to try that kind of game again with any kind of happy ending right now but yeah, I am. I wouldn't have asked otherwise. In fact if you go back through the thread around that time I offer advice in connecting him solidly when people were struggling.

14. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Which again, was what I did eventually too. Their is a particular method to get the original a little more firmly on yes, but it didn't solve the actual issue entirely, the fault still remains. To avoid it its best to get the new waist and fog lights. I would strongly encourage anyone to do so if they're having even the slightest issue with the combiner leg staying solid.

That is assuming mt is even still making the parts available, I have no idea if they are personally. I got mine asap because that kind of thing is always on a ticking timer of limited availability.

15. Napalm

News Credits:
    Fair enough man, I never bothered as I've never had a need to. If it can be that much of an issue I can understand why the parts were produced. As my earlier posts state though I was properly, obsessively, into getting things right transformation wise first time.

16. 00raiser956

00raiser956 Galaxy Convoy

Ebay:
    Ok so I just bought a Metalstorm on ebay managed to snag him for 64 dollars it was opened but only displayed never transformed. Had some ebay bucks I had to use before they expired so I bought it. I was just wondering if there are any issues with him or not?

17. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    The Celeritas replacement parts has a groove for the arms to lock into.

18. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I got him combined. It was a bit of a bear to get Sonic Drill locked together, but otherwise seems ok. The parts for him and Celeritas seem easy enough that I might as well just swap them out, but how can I tell if Metalstorm has the misaligned joint? He seems ok to me.

19. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yep, realized mine had the same issue. But I flipped the pins around, so everything is good now.

Still waiting on Celeritas so I can finally put them all together. Any day now...

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How did you manage that? I'd love to fix those pins, but I'm not sure how to do it safely.