Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I emailed TCP about it and they said he’s now expected in March... ugh

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh? Downbeat is already toon colored. That's why some of us had to go to all that trouble to get him decal'd up - to get rid of the toon look.

3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last I checked, Maketoys didn't make Downbeat with blue windows and lights.
    upload_2019-1-23_16-7-57.png
    upload_2019-1-23_16-8-5.png

You might think the same thing about Takara MP Sideswipe, Red Alert, Wheeljack, and MMC Sphinx but alas here we are with their "+/toon versions" available or coming soon.

4. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's the only part that isn't toon: The clear plastic. Everything else is clearly toon.

5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh right. Blue windows *twitch* and blue headlights *twitch twitch* HEADLIGHTS ARENT BLUE, DAMMIT!! *ahem* Sorry, I had some resentment stuck in my throat there. I'm so glad they didn't do that the first time around and I hate hate hate this damned toon trend but sure, here's hoping they make a + version for those of you who want him. :thumb 

I actually mostly prefer the toon version of Sphinx (I know, I'm not very consistent - it's more about what looks best to me versus what's accurate) but I really hate that they decided to do the chrome bits in flat grey. Even Takara knows better than to do that (Sunstreaker and v3 Optimus still have chrome) and TE used silver paint on their toon Prime (still would've been better if it were chrome) instead of going flat grey or white.

Actually, let me qualify my position on toon. I like the toon accurate design/silhouette but I really really don't like toon paint jobs. Hence why I like Downbeat so much but I had to decal him up and why I like TE Optimus so much but got so annoyed when they removed the silver trim and clear yellow plastic. It's also why I like MP Sunstreaker and Megatron so much - they look like the cartoon characters but still look like they could exist in the real world: the aforementioned chrome, Sunstreaker's real world alt mode, and their hands look like the cartoon design which is really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's all the more reason I said toon version. I'm talking about a toon version. Two different things, man, two different things. Had to get that off my chest, sorry. If you don't like the toon versions of items, then don't buy them. Problem solved. Let others that want them enjoy them if and when they become available. At the same time you can enjoy your non-toon versions. Everybody wins. ;) 

Well when we see toon versions what's the among most noticeable change? Yup, the clear plastic. Here's hoping they do one. They clearly have the ability and resources.

7. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I did say that I hope you get your version of Downbeat. I'm obnoxious about it but ultimately I would like everybody to get what they want. My problem with the toon trend, though, is it feels like they're all moving in that direction. There's no indication that Downbeat is ever going to get a more toy accurate paint job and, if he'd originally been released with blue windows and headlights, I wouldn't expect them to ever do one with black. That would mean that, in my not so humble opinion, the best Jazz available would be ruined and the other options that are out there just suck. But yeah, in a perfect world, we'd get toon and toy repaints of every figure and we'd all hold hands and chant "'Til all are one."

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fortress Magnus

Fortress Magnus Well-Known Member

http://i66.tinypic.com/9883m1.jpg

I would like to replicate the rear of the car as seen in the photo. The photo shows the two ugly white panels removed. The Downbeat car looks much better as a result. I am looking at the Downbeat toy and I can't see any way to remove them without snapping them off and breaking them. The white panels are not fastened with screws. I don't know how Maketoys managed to put the toy together.

I would also like to remove the fake fenders, if possible. Is there a way to remove the two white panels and the fake fenders without damaging them?

9. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    That derp face. I didn't know robots could have strokes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    Lol. It's caused by too much static build up in the brain chips.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn that looks beautiful. What paint did you use on the thighs?

No - I don’t care for blue for windows and lights myself, but the real part that isn’t toon or G1 accurate is the silver thighs; Jazz should have white thighs as per the cartoon and G1 toy. The thighs on Downbeat have always baffled me - MT went out of their way to create a toon-accurate figure and then randomly painted the thighs silver. Not only that - check out the very first grey prototype on the first page, the one with the wrong headlights. That has toon+toy-accurate detailing at the bottom of the thighs near the knee (two vertical grooves). For the final figure they changed this minor detail to something non-accurate. Downbeat is easily my favourite 3P MP, but as this bizarre mould change and the silver thighs have always bugged me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Νah thank you. If it was 'toon accurate' I wouldnt have bought it. Let Reprolabels produce decals for anyone who wants their mps to look like 80s toys.

Or Takara make super articulated figures which look like 2$ Knockoffs.

I am pretty happy with him as is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Steady hand and a fine brush and it's fine. I'm pretty sure reprolabels do a sticker set for the lights though for those that aren't confident.

Here's a pic just for @Snaku

PicsArt_01-27-01.04.07.jpg

Cartoon hooooooo!

• Like Like x 6
  14. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    haha i use airbrush for consistent surface paint, turn out very good. i spray a flat coat on to keep in consistent.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey thanks! That's a pretty nice picture. Not sure why you singled me out in your post but.... oh :mad: 

:D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. myoung555

myoung555 Well-Known Member

Is Steamroll’s arms from MP-12?

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Forearms yeah. Effects transformation but that's low on my priorities, I need a well proportioned bot first and foremost for display.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

I want to disassemble the legs and get rid of his sideways thigh ratchets. Can someone tell me how to take apart the thighs? Those pins on the knees have holes in them. I tried knocking them out using an automatic pin punch from either side without any success.

19. Fortress Magnus

I didn't like the fake fenders and the two white panels that go on the rear of the car. So I took the risk and irreversibly removed them from the left leg. By comparing his left leg with his right, does Downbeat look better, worse or is a wash? You can be honest with me. actionleft.jpg actionright.jpg back.jpg front.jpg left.jpg right.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fortress Magnus

I would like to know how to do this, also.