Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm applying the decals as we speak. So far they're perfectly sized and absolutely gorgeous! :)  At first I was kind of annoyed that the blue seemed darker than I expected but when I put it on Jazz, it looked great. It's more of a navy blue versus the royal blue that comes stock on him but damn it looks good. I found that the darker hub decals on clear paper look the best (I tried the light and dark in both clear and white paper).

I'm a little concerned about the fender stripes though: there's just so much contour for them to go around and the one piece I put on has some pretty nasty wrinkles. I'm trying the micro-sol hoping it will straighten out. First time doing any of this so I'm not sure what to expect.

Once I finish up, I'll post pics.

• Like Like x 4
  2. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Yep that's exactly what I encountered. This is also the reason my rear-fender stripes don't "swing-down" lower after the rear wheel, as they should. The more I curved the decal, the more wrinkles appeared. I messed around a lot with this area, and went through probably 3 or 4 attempts.
    In the end I made the compromise of letting the stripes curve less and run straighter after the rear wheel to avoid these wrinkles. Not 100% accurate, but they're down flat now.
    Good luck dude!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep good luck and can't wait to see how you get on. Didn't realise it was a first time for you too - glad I got all these guinea pigs :) . I too am hoping the micro sol helps them go down flat where we want them. I wonder if this is an area Downbeat isn't contoured exactly as the Tamiya model? I wonder if distorting the decal before printing could help, but I'm not clever enough to work out where/how to do it. Still waiting for all my stuff to arrive to start on mine.

4. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I'm wondering when MT or any of the other people making a totally-not-Jazz will do a Stepper redeco.

5. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Anyone else have a gap on the rear spoiler panels when in alt mode? Can't get them to stay together for the life of me. It's not a huge gap, by any means. Just enough to irritate me...

6. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks. I checked it this morning and the decals shrunk to fit pretty well but still some small puckers. I threw another layer of solvent on them before leaving for work. If I can't get rid of them, I'm gonna see if I can mix up the correct shades of paint and, if so, I might use a really fine sand paper to take off the puckers and then just touch them up with paint.

I love the solvent. I put the chest decal on and used the solvent and it sunk into the small Gap around the Autobot logo. I was able to adjust the decal position and got the logo to line up perfectly with that Gap. I love how it looks.

Yeah I have that. I had to tape it together before I applied decals back there. Haven't figured out a real fix yet.

7. dbae14

dbae14 Special Ops

I've found that you can push the rear end pieces farther toward the middle on their double hinges and that helps tremendously with the spoiler parts tabbing together. It's a very slight movement of the rear end pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dbae14

dbae14 Special Ops

Painted the gun (sans handle), missile, faces, shins and feet. Very happy with the result. My first time spraying on parts of a figure. I did remove the feet, shins, missile and faces before spraying. My shin pins were both knurled on the outside. Oh yeah, KFC hands for MP-12 installed, too. Just some reprolabels to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  9. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    friday can't get here fast enough, so i can get a pick of Downbeat, BT Meister(x2), Alt Jazz(has been stickered and is the reason why i know longer do stickers), HA Jazz, GT J4ZZ(haven't even opened, waiting on his friday MT counterpart) and stickered conversion alternity Meister (one of the only 2 stickered TFs i have)

10. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

That did help a little. I'll need to try and push them in further next time I transform him. Thanks!

11. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For $90 that stuff should be factory painted, but nice job with the rattlecan!

• Like Like x 4
  12. dbae14

dbae14 Special Ops

Agreed and thanks.

J4zz's rifle and feet may be my next target of the rattlecan.

13. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Done!

CameraZOOM-20170315194547957.jpg CameraZOOM-20170315195809797.jpg CameraZOOM-20170315195825877.jpg CameraZOOM-20170315195838394.jpg

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. The fit was just about perfect except for the stripe on the rear which should be straight across rather than angled on the ends and should be about 1-2mm longer.

I like how the hubcaps look but the two on the passenger side came off while I was transforming him. Might need to scuff the pins before they'll stick very well. I'll reapply (luckily the decal sheet has two full sets of everything so there's spares) and try to get them to stay on better this time. Could just be that I needed to let them sit for longer before handling.

You can see in the third image the wrinkles on the fender stripes. They're worse on this side than the other. I've used a ton of solvent on them and they've shrunk quite a bit but just won't disappear completely. Maybe if I'd used a heat gun on them when I first put them on, I could've gotten the decal to warp to the contour of the car, but I was afraid to try: not sure what a heatgun will do to this material and wasn't eager to accidentally warp Jazz.

The decals don't line up to the intake ports perfectly but I'm going to paint the interior black which should hide the imperfections. I just cut the parts that were hanging over the opening and have them soaking in solvent so they'll lay flat, so the paint will wait til tomorrow. After that, I'll give him a clearcoat and he should be good to go.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Liampope

News Credits:
    Looks great good job! Think I'd be very happy with with results like that or Jsix's. My decal paper has finally arrived but still waiting for other materials - damn post to Norway is slow!

Looks like it was really difficult with those fender stripes - I'm scared! :)  Being a sucker for punishment I'm starting to talk myself into playing around with some photoshop distortion tools to bend those decals a bit before printing so they might go on a bit easier and not need so much bending on the figure. Hmmm...

Looks like is was particularly difficult at the very back end of those fender stripes underneath the spoiler - Downbeat looks not quite accurately sculpted there - there's a bulge for the pivot that rotates the spoiler parts in transformation where there ought to be a flat vertical triangular shape. I wonder if the Jsix style decals with that triangular part separate instead of integrated into the fender stripes would make that part easier?

Could I ask a couple of general pointers?

- generally have you decaled straight over transformation splits then cut them in place? Then maybe some solvent to wrap the cut edges onto the figure? Or tried to cut them before applying?

- If you want to trim the decals after applying - e.g. overhangs, etc - is it best to trim when it's all still wet, or when dry?

Cheers!

15. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

I went right over the splits and then cut them with an xacto. If I had it to do again, I think I would not do the solvent until after the cuts. Not sure if that would help them to be smoother but the way I did it, they came just a tiny bit ragged. You have to look really closely to see and I'm not sure if it's visible in any of the photos but it's there and it would've been nice if I could've gotten the cuts a little nicer.

I didn't have to trim anything after applying. The only decal that went past the end of its surface was the chest stripe: instead of ending at the top right where the panel bends down to go under his head, it continues on. I actually like it that way so I just used the solvent to get it to sink in and shape to the plastic. Actually I guess I did need to trim that piece: the two gaps on the sides of that panel where the hinge from the hood comes down. I waited for it to be dry and then used my xacto to cut the top and bottom of each gap so that the flaps would fold down inside. Then hit it with solvent.

It might be worth it to warp the stripes but be careful: it'd be very easy to end up with them being a different length. I'd say curve into the wheel wells just a little bit and then have the tail end curve back toward the center a little. As I said, the pictured stripe is worse then the passenger side one. It may be possible with enough determination to get the stripes to go down smooth even without photoshopping them but this was my first time using decals so I didn't really know what I was doing. If you're gonna warp them, I'd say puppet warp is probably the tool to use.

If also say that if I were starting from scratch, I'd do all the other details before the stripes. There are a couple of spots where I guess I handled it too much and a tiny bit of the color has rubbed off or something. Would've been better if they were the last to go on to minimize that as much as possible. Then get the clear coat on before anything can happen to it.

I think I'm done with the solvent and everything. Tonight I'm going to hit the intakes with the black paint and then let it dry/cure so I can clear coat tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Liampope

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot for the pointers! Pretty impressive for a first attempt so I hope I get on as well.

I just received my downbeat so I'm almost ready now! Yeah it sure looks not so accurately sculpted compared to the Tamiya model underneath that rear spoiler at the back so it's gonna be tricky there I think.

Looking forwards to seeing yours clear coated - should look fantastic.

Oooh yeah - sorry for more even more rookie questions but could you give any pointers to printing the decals the correct size? I assume your image is 8x11.5" same as JSix's? I'm in Europe where it's A4. Slightly bigger than 8x11.5" so should be OK and I guess I'm just looking for settings like no added margin, no scaling, just 1:1 etc etc.

Or to look at it another way - say I were to draw a black rectangle round the very outer edge pixels of your image - after printing that rectangle should measure exactly 8*11.5"?

Thanks again! :) 

EDIT: Ooops I mean 8.5 x 11" (not 8 x 11.5"!). So the 8.5" is slightly wider than A4 then - that explains why it wants to go onto 2 pages, so then I actually think I'm getting it right, not wrong! :) 

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right, it's 8.5x11 so if you were to print it on 8.5x11 paper with no scaling, you should be fine. For a4, I would open it in Photoshop or whatever image editing program you have and set the canvas size to whatever a4 is and have it centered. I left a half inch margin all around it so there should be enough cut off space for a narrower paper.

18. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Finally got mine. He's pretty cool, but after the first transformation, the right wheel won't plug in flush anymore. And considering the front end of the car is the most attractive part of the alt mode, I'm pretty bummed. Was really stoked on him before that. I don't know if I'm tired or just getting burnt out on MPs, but this little thing with Downbeat and the more annoying parts of Grinder's transformation just really sapped all the fun out of both of my new arrivals and I'm ready to put them back in the boxes and forget about them for a while. :( 

19. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had that problem but it seemed to go away after a couple of transformations. Not sure why.

20. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Well, that's encouraging! Maybe I'll come back to him in a day or so and see if it works itself out.