Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Oh yeah, and personally I think the headlights look fine, in my head whatever they colour transparent objects in the cartoon is just animation style rather than reality.

Hmm I'll have to go back and look for that fix.

I could swear I saw a few posts about the gold rims way back near the start of the thread, but who has time to check that :p 

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not yet that I know of. I've printed b/w on regular paper to check the size and they look good to my eye but I'm waiting for my decal orders to arrive (got the setting solution and white paper; still waiting for the solvent and clear paper) before I can get them printed. The hood, roof, door stripes and the fender stripes on the left side along with the logos and text were traced directly from JSix's decal sheet and he used those to good effect. I can't figure out how his fender stripes work, though, as when I printed them on paper and tried to line them up on Downbeat, they seemed way too short. If you want to wait, I should be able to get them printed in about a week. I'll try them then and post my results.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deductor

Deductor Banned

Still one of the best figures in my collection

• Like Like x 1
  4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome, I look forward to seeing your results

5. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Not only do I love Jazz, I feel this is FINALLY an amazing representation of him. I'm totally fine with the liberties taken and limitations of alt mode to get an amazing looking bot mode.

It just looks and feels so good in hand and has great poseability.

It's the only figure I'm considering getting two of because I'd be so sad if something happened to mine in the future and I couldn't replace it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Accurate to the toon. I think the the blue plastic should have been included in a small baggie as an option.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To each his own. I've just looked over stills from the cartoon and I think it's pretty clear they weren't meant to be blue. They were meant to be normal headlights. The light blueish grey color they used was simply the best way to represent that in animation. Though I guess the lights on the toy were very definitely blue.

Personally I prefer a hybrid toon/toy/comic accuracy, borrowing the best elements from each (though generally the Marvel comic isn't known for having the best visual representations of the characters), with a healthy dose of real world where it fits. I want my MPs to look like the cartoon/comic character if they existed in real life. That said, I suppose there's nothing wrong with options, so yeah, it would've been nice to include a set of blue headlights for those who want them.

8. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I'd like to see how a Stepper repaint/retool would turn out.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I keep hoping to hear there are Eness stickers so I can make final choices on what to put on downbeat.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Usually I'm pretty content to wait for Takara to release Masterpieces but in case licensing never goes through for Jazz I chose to go with Downbeat since I liked its' overall look. After reading some of the comments about fragility issues I was worried about it, but after transforming it a few times I'm pleasantly surprised.

The legs are pretty fiddly but I feel that they're pretty straightforward, and the transformation works pretty well if you use caution.

Robot mode does feel a little scrawny to me, especially in comparison to the official Datsuns. Just my small nitpick.

The joints could be much tighter, which is my big nitpick. It's not floppy, but loose enough that it's very noticeable.

I'm still hoping for an official Takara Masterpiece sooner than later but for now I'm happy to have Jazz represented on my MP shelf.

11. devastator_2000

devastator_2000 Member

I got Downbeat (Jazz) a few days ago. Put all the Reprolabels on in Alt mode. Have not felt like Transforming him to d the rest. Here is some before and after pics.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I need to apply my reprolabels set.

13. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I feel like in terms of aesthetics and transformation complexity he fits right in with the rest of the MP carbots, but in overall quality and wow factor he's a step ahead. IMO this sets the standard for a next generation MP carbot. Though I wouldn't have minded a bit more articulation and a few improvements here and there.

At least, that's my assessment of him once I get around to buying reprolabels and giving him more livery. I feel like some of it should've been tampo'd on.

14. johnnysamson

johnnysamson Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I took out the old light covers and filled in the headlights with glue. Then painted them sky blue and installed headlight covers from a 1/20 scale astin martin db5. I had to reshape them to fit inside the housing... I love how the blue headlight color shows through the lenses..Also added small paint details to bring out the black and white color scheme 20170129_125517[1].jpg 20170129_125456[2].jpg 20170129_125439[1].jpg 20170129_125517[1].jpg 20170129_125456[2].jpg 20170129_125439[1].jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. autotronprime

autotronprime I like to make cool things!

News Credits:
    Decided to rip this guy apart and start painting. This is just the primer coat.
    2017-03-13_20-15-35.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You might be on to something. I think that if someone were to use a light blue colored hot glue gun stick, or dye some resin, transparent blue headlights can be had.

• Like Like x 1
  17. devastator_2000

devastator_2000 Member

Im not brave enough to take apart any of my Transformers. Stickers is as good as it gets for me. lol

• Like Like x 5
  18. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Very nice. For a minute there I was thinking those headlights were something we could pick up on shapeways.
    What do you think @Snaku ?

19. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Yeah that's the stuff right there. I'd have loved it to come from the factory just like that. How did you get the transclearant plastic out? I assume it didn't survive.

I used Jreams labels over mine but yours takes it way up another notch to darn near perfect. Well done Sir.

20. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What do I think of the headlights? Did you mean to quote @johnnysamson ?

I mean they're not my thing but they look pretty good. I especially like the headlight detail from the model car headlights. If I were gonna go with blue headlights that'd be what I'd want them to look like.

If you want to do headlights, there are ways. Johhnysamson seems to have pulled it off pretty well. I've seen posts on model car customizing sites about using UV resin to make headlight lenses and the results look pretty good. Of course to do that, you'd need molds of headlight lenses to put the resin in.

It's all further than I want to go though. I'm ok with adding stickers or decals to my MP transformers (preferably decals: stickers just look too cheap for me) but I balk at doing heavy customization on $100 figures. I just got an os ko Powerglide I'm gonna try chopping up and customizing but he was $4. If I ruin him, I've lost basically nothing. I'd like to make him look like he fits with my MP collection. Gonna do the same with os ko Arcee (who turned out way more expensive than I expected). But it'll be a while before I'm comfortable with modding a MP. The only one I've modded was a Walmart Skywarp and that's cuz it's a kind of ugly outdated mold and there are decent options to replace him for not too much money if I ruined him.

I'm probably gonna do the shin and foot paint to my downbeat though. The pics people have been posting just look too good and the grey that I was totally fine with before is starting to bother me now. Thanks a lot for that, everyone :mad:  :p