Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

This looks like the Reprolabels/Toyhax set. They're (foil?) stickers. Definitely not a wetslide. I have them on mine.

2. newOrder

newOrder LowLife Republic

Instagram:
    Roll in
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  3. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Finished the waterslides and gave the whole car a layer of Tamiya spray clearcoat to seal. The gloss gives it a much more premium look.... would recommend this to anyone who feels the alt mode looks bland/cheap compared to any other MPs (although now tempted to clearcoat Wheeljack as well ;) ). Just masked off the windows/headlights/wheels and sprayed a few light coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is giving him some custom wheels. Ordered a bunch of different BBS style slot-car wheels, and will see what looks best..

• Like Like x 14
  4. Kinoko

Kinoko Mushroom Princess

Wow, that looks Fantastic, JSix! Those decals are really nice! BTW, which Tamiya spray clearcoat did you use? (Sorry for the totally newbie questions)

5. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I used
    Tamiya TS-13 Clear Spray Lacquer

6. bad andy

bad andy Well-Known Member

It looks great. Did the clear coat affect any transformation? No issues with parts fitting/tabbing/articulating after?

7. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Thanks. No issues so far... the design doesnt seems to pose much risk of parts clashing or rubbing thankfully!

8. leo7830

leo7830 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Love this figure! Been messing with it for days now. Even put a Porsche logo on him.
    20170213_183946-1.jpg 20170213_182620-1.jpg 20170213_194759-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

Agreed that looks Fantastic, JSix! Would you be willing to make those water slide decals available for purchase?

10. myoung555

myoung555 Well-Known Member

Wish you could offer this as a service. Would buy this and your Devastator upgrades in a heart beat. Downbeat looks amazing with the gloss finish.

11. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Thanks dude! Wish I had time to do more of this.
    Thanks. Unfortunately the paper I used was for laser printers, and had to print them at work when nobody was looking haha. The laser stuff has worked much better for me than the inkjet paper.
    If you guys are willing to buy the laser printer waterslide paper online,
    https://www.amazon.com/Blinggasm-Wa...=8-1&keywords=laser+printed+water+slide+decal
    you can print them with this file:
    The page is 8.5x11 inches.

[​IMG]

Be prepared to struggle a little with the stripes over the rear fenders.. they are def a pain in the ass. But if you print out a few copies and practice a little, you will get it.
    I also recommend using a decal solvent to help the decals stick to the crazy compound surfaces of the rear fenders.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  12. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!!

13. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You, Sir, are a god! A veritable God I SAY!!

I was scrolling to the bottom of the page to post a reply begging you to share your design files and you'v already done it. Amazing!
    There's only one problem though. This means I have to go out and buy Downbeat. I was on the fence, wavering back and forth, but seeing these amazing decals, and then the stunning glossy finish from a coat of clear lacquer, I'm all in now. It finally has that high gloss auto finish like the other Takara Cars.
    Absolutely agree on giving Wheeljack the same finish.
    And I think you said you removed the default paint job with cotton buds and paint thinner? Or was it lacquer thinner?

Final question, do the headlight's look to be easily removable? Would love to pop them out and give them a spray of blue paint, be a lot easier than trying to apply in situ.

Let us know you're results with the slot-car wheels. I love what you did with Smokescreen.

THANK YOU for sharing your efforts!!!

14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

@JSix That clear coat makes all the difference.

Still haven't pick him up (something keeps feeling off to me), and was considering that perhaps painting him white would help. But the decals and the gloss coat makes him look very good.

15. DrunkSkunk

DrunkSkunk Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I was wavering on him as well. Those rear fender strips were not sitting well with me as they did not match the others that were being added to him to give the car accurate look. I just need to see him with those decals in robot mode now. Looking your way @JSix! ;)  (hopefully the new strips continue onto that little piece on his leg when transformed)

16. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Jazz Club (nice!)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! How were you able to mask off the windows and tires evenly?

18. Illmatic

Illmatic Well-Known Member

I like what I see with this figure. However, the two things I don't like are how his legs fold up to leave barely any clearance along the rear in vehicle mode, and the extra faces (Not really a deal breaker for me though as I like stoic faces for my figure display). A face with a cool smirk would've been preferable over the weird "I'm smiling while my face just got morphed by a punch" expression. Regardless of my nitpicks, I'm seriously considering getting this figure at some point.

19. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG_4556.JPG Just another Downbeat standing with other toys pic.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Here is pic of the thinner I used to remove the original stripes, and the masking tape that I cut to mask off the windows and wheels. I did not remove the roof stripes, as I was afraid the whole roof might be painted, and didn't want to damage with white paint. Do get around this, I printed the new roof stripes of white/opaque decal paper, and printed everything else of the clear decal paper. I also painted the fender intake black before applying any details, just to make things easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also some bot mode shots. The new fender stripes do not naturally line up with the stripes of the fake fender extensions, but that's no big deal for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of Jazz with the rest of the race crew. Fits in like a glove now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15