Maketoys MTRM-13 Skycrow (G1 Skywarp)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 13, 2018.

1. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I got Starscream...well Meteor, as a one off just because he's my favorite Transformer and it's a different take than anyone else has done before. I like him with my other "Special" Starscreams.

However...I have the early original TT ones and then the Hasbro seekers....and then added to them with the Takara new ones including the coneheads (I usually don't sell my figures unless I really don't want it or to display it). So now I have the originals in bot, Hasbro in plane mode and the new ones (6) in bot as well. That's not counting Ghost Starscream and another Coronation Starscream (needed one with and without the gear on display). That's 14 seekers and one Meteor. Yeah....I think I'm done buying these characters. LOL

That said, while this is great if you're a "It's gotta be 100% toon" person, I'm not that guy. I actually like the look of the last TT release best while this is a different look and nice to have for a stand alone. I just don't see me needing that on my shelf as a replacement as it really is SUPER toon. It wouldn't match anything else in my entire MP collection. Well Maybe MP-36 Megs but even that is sorta debatable IMO.

(I love how Ghost Starscream has his "ghosted" armor all around him in shambles...holding his crown with a sad face. Kind of like he's going "What could of been...." as he's looking at the crown in his hand). :D 

A4E7A2D0-702B-42EE-9C9C-29D0958158F0.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  2. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Yeah, that dark shade of baby blue is what I thought too when I saw lightning. I thought dirty North Carolina baby blue when I saw it. It's kind of grown on me. Based on the image below it doesn't seem right, but maybe skycrow is wrong in this animation... Bah, who knows haha

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall MakeToys has a better bot mode (hands could be bigger, Starscream/Meteor's face could be a shade lighter) while the Takara/Yes Model/BB7 mold has the better jet mode (the cockpit with pilot and rolling landing gear wheels is excellent).
    MT's jet mode does offers toon style missiles which is a great feature missing on HasTak's version but corrected on the YM/BBY/KBB high quality KOs with real world type missiles.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

YouTube (Handle):
    I think it was just a case of them wanting to differentiate the two figures, even beyond the obvious black/blue colour schemes. I mean, to be animation accurate they should both have silver chest pieces and 'Cracker should have lighter forearms and hands, not to mention a blue nose cone. They've even given all three jets slightly different shades for the canopies. Strange decisions, but they still look better than any other Seeker moulds to my eyes.

5. Mentasm

YouTube (Handle):
    Mine just arrived. Not had much chance to look at them yet, but I swapped the hands over. Lightning looks better in hand than I expected, although I'm still a little disappointed with some of the colour choices. Skycrow feels a little looser than both Meteor and Lightning as well. Lightning's box has a big dent/tear in it, which must have been done prior to packing as the outer box is fine. I was also supposed to receive replacement parts for Andras with this shipment, but annoyingly they weren't included. Will get more time to play with them later, but I've already rearranged my cabinets in anticipation!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    Got mine in as well. They're beauties.
    Swapped the face of SS. Looks way better.

IMG_20180618_153941.jpg IMG_20180618_141432.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  7. Mentasm

YouTube (Handle):
    Oddly with mine, the top part of Meteor's canopy doesn't align with the bottom in robot mode (it overhangs), but the two new bots do align. Wonder if it has anything to do with me removing the nose cone section from the back in robot mode for Meteor, but not the others (yet)?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Did anybody in the USA who ordered this and/or MT Thundercracker from baba during the last 20% Ebay flash sale receive theirs yet? If not has it at least reached USA soil?

9. Mentasm

YouTube (Handle):
    Okay, so I've had a chance to play around with them more now and they're a bit of a mixed bag. I know they're repaints, but they don't feel as solid as Meteor and the QC isn't as good. One of Skycrow's shoulder flaps just fell off the first time I transformed him to jet mode. They're also a lot 'squeakier' and stiffer than Meteor. I'd also forgotten what a pain the transformation is. With that said, they do (mostly) look the part. I like Lightning more in hand than I expected, although it's infuriating when you see that the piece of plastic that attaches his firsts to his forearms/hands is the colour those bits actually should be (i.e. a greyish colour)! Same goes for most of his joints. His nose cone isn't actually black either, but the same grey. It's like they're trolling us! Interestingly though the inside of the nose cone appears to be blue, so I'm wondering if it is painted... Not that I'm willing to risk trying to strip it on mine. It does screw up the toon accuracy of the jets when sitting side by side though and could so easily have been avoided. I don't like his greenish canopy much either - I'd have been far happier if all three had the same colour as Meteor. I can like with the blueish/grey chest pieces as they don't look too bad in the flesh, even if they're incorrect... I applied some of my waterslides to the new guys, but I've decided that trying to cut out white background Decepticon logos is the worst... The Autobot symbol is okay, but the former faction symbol just has too many spiky bits and I ended up damaging all of them in some way. I really need to find a good, cheap supplier of faction symbols to the UK, because so far all I've found are the clear ones I applied to Meteor (which I intend to change to match the other Seekers) and they are rubbish.

Bot modes are what you'd expect, but again the tolerances on the new guys aren't as good as Meteor. This isn't because I've had him longer and he's loosened, because I've only transformed him once since I got him and he was fine then. Anyway, possibly more thoughts once I've transformed them back for display, but I don't regret getting them. They're just not as good as they could have been, which is a real shame. I don't know why Maketoys went with some of the design choices when they had animation models to work from...

Attached Files:

10. Barbarandroid

Barbarandroid Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in Canada and I ordered Skycrow from Baba during the flash sale. I have not heard a word back since.

11. Barbarandroid

Barbarandroid Well-Known Member

Never mind. I just got my shipping notice from Baba :) 

12. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Mine just processed through NY this morning. ETA is for Monday. Hopefully it gets here a bit faster, Saturday at least.

• Like Like x 1
  13. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I am hoping the same. I think we will be getting it this week. It's still Tuesday, plenty of time left.

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    I hope so. It's just that it takes much longer for USPS shipments to process through NY area. I'm in Atlanta, GA and I've gotten packages faster when they process through Los Angeles, Chicago, or Miami.

15. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Wow I am on the other side of the country, San Francisco, so it makes sense for me to only get my package next week,..... but then again, I have a package from Netclow that's been stuck in LA for almost 10 days.

USPS is just weird.

• Like Like x 1
  16. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    yes they are

I had these ship from New York yesterday (I'm in Boston, a major hub) and they overshot me and went to New Hampshire when they could have just gone to Boston which is half the distance and I would have them today

17. Lord Jinnai

Lord Jinnai Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Reprolabels (Toon) symbols for these guys - Can't wait to get them all stickered up :) 

18. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    It's obvious they are playing with our items !!!!

19. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    just got em in this morning and they are fantastic!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. astrotrain1975

astrotrain1975 FT-44 Thomas is my precious.

That Skywarp is very tempting with the flash sale going on. I always loved that color scheme.

• Like Like x 1