Maketoys MTRM-12 Lightning (G1 Thundercracker)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aww man. That kills the KFC hand option for me then. I'll need hands that don't hinder transformation, otherwise what's the point.....at least for me. Same deal with the MP11 head.

2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you paint the face? It looks so much better. What did you use exactly?

3. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Ahh, thanks for confirming. And on good news, after my rant in the taobao thread earlier this week my Maketoys Thundercracker and Skywarp were ready for pick up today. Have them in my mitts, will wait till i get home before unboxing / inspecting and some pics.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mixed some Tamiya white, one of the Tamiya naval grey's and a little drop of tan, then hit it with a coat of Future to make it nice and glossy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. minstral

News Credits:
    Opened them up and not much to say that hasn't already been said about Meteor's possibility. Thundercracker has the worst C clip as the nose section always falls off. Haven't transformed the other 2 yet but they haven't fallen off with normal handling.

Not sure I like the lighter grey face on Meteor, it's almost an exact match to his body colour and needs to be a shade darker. Skywarp looks a bit dull with muted blacks and Thundercracker seems to have more presence due to being a lighter colour. Funnily I think both Skywarp and Thundercracker needs jream's add ons as to me they're duller than Meteor. Meteor's fine as it is.

Some quick pics in poor lighting with one as a homage to the MP3/11 flight stand :) 

20180615_231611.jpg
    20180615_233816.jpg

EDIT: also noticed that although Skywarp and Thundercracker's faces are the same, they're respectively painted black and blue plastic so you can't mix them up

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  6. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

Just received my shipping notification for Lightning and Skycrow from TFS-E, so they should be with me on Monday. For those who already have Lightning, is there any truth to the rumour that his nose cone is painted black rather than moulded? Just wondering if it's blue underneath...

7. minstral

News Credits:
    L
    Looks like black plastic to me, no paint

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

Cheers, guess the guy on YouTube was mistaken.

9. minstral

News Credits:
    I could be wrong but doesn't have the gloss that paint would have. Admittedly I didn't look through the cockpit to see what the underside colour was. I'll try look again tomorrow, it's 12.21am in Australia now *yawn*. Playing with new toys is tiring

EDIT: I needed to go downstairs so pulled it out. It IS painted as looking through the cockpit the underside is blue

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  10. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Does the stand work in alt mode? I am assuming that is FT Swoop or Sovereign's stand?

11. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally got shipping notification from Baba...but I ordered mine during the last 10mins of the last flash sale so.....eh.

12. minstral

News Credits:
    Haven't tried actually, I just balanced him there and it has the Phoenix adapter on it. It is the fanstoys one.

If you can find a groove on the underside that's big though I think it'll work

13. Fallen Jedi

I have the Sovereign one and the Phoenix adapter, so will give it a shot. Just got Sovereign last night, so did not have a chance to try it on Meteor.

14. minstral

News Credits:
    Yeah, let us know. Otherwise it's flight pose, very expensive for those of us in the southern hemisphere. Grrr

15. dickenz

dickenz METROFLEX?!?

News Credits:
    I've been investigating stands and it seems the premium options are Yetistand and Flight Pose but as you mentioned not cheap for us down under. Yetistand also doesn't have an adapter for these Maketoys seekers yet.

As a cheaper alternative I was looking at these: Square Enix Play Arts Kai Plastic PVC Clear stand for 12" Action Figure-in Action & Toy Figures from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group - Wondering if anyone knows if they are strong enough to take an MP figure?

16. Fallen Jedi

Yeah, I looked into them and it did seem quite expensive.

17. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine tracking from Baba is live, just FYI

• Like Like x 1
  18. minstral

News Credits:
    I have these and whilst they're not strong you can balance a masterpiece jet on the two uprights

Action Base Suitable Display Stand for 1/144 HG/RG Gundam and bandai saint seiya Figure with Hook-in Action & Toy Figures from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    They work for Zeta, haven't tried with these Maketoys ones yet

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

The Play Arts Kai stands are undoubtedly the worst stands I've ever messed with. I wouldn't trust them with the figures they come with, nevermind an MP. Whenever I buy a new Play Arts Kai figure I toss the stand in a bin.

20. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I figured I'd post here rather than zombify the Meteor thread, but I got a replacement Meteor from chosen prime at long last and it not only fixes the specific flaws on my first one but seems generally better. Like all the joints are nicer, with that trademark maketoys smoothness to them. It's a huge improvement. If I didn't know any better I'd think the first one I'd gotten was used.

That said, I'm still a little disappointed by this guy. The robot mode is light years ahead of the official but the jet mode's a push and the transformation may actually be a step behind largely due to that awful c-joint. And mostly crucially for me, he's exactly as too small as the official one. I knew that going in, but I'm still allowed not to like it.

My favorite thing about him may actually be the bright and cheerful colors. It's not just the paint. It's the plastic. It really pops and makes a lot of other 3p figures look downright dingy by comparison. My gripes aside, a thundercracker in equally peppy plastic is a pretty appealing prospect.

• Like Like x 1