Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

Not sure if the mod would work without killing the transformation. I think smaller MP hands would be the way, but doesn’t seem like paint would last long. Maybe 3D scanning and printing in the appropriate color?

2. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, it's great if you can nab HM as a one-off. But if he's going to get displayed with TT Cracker and Skywarp, then the vastly different robot mode is gonna be a problem.

3. xenogears

xenogears Well-Known Member

I was really hyped up about this, but the alt not looking like a proper F-15 is such a turn off. Mp-11 nailed the alt mode :( 

• Like Like x 1
  4. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    I only bought the TT/Hasbro MP seeker mold because I found a Walmart Skywarp for $25 on clearance. It was OK, but HM Is a better articulated, more toon styled version that fits with what I consider to be Starscream in my 7yr old minds eye.

For those complaining about missing details and such, keep an eye out for Reprolabels to give us the intake details, the chest vents, shin detail, etc. I think they'll give us what we're looking for to make this the definitive MP seeker mold, for now.

5. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s why I’m thinking KFC Ironhide hands? They’re kind of slender unlike the KFC Seeker hands.
    3D printing isn’t likely to be a go for this. FDM would really struggle with parts that fine and even a resin printer would be tricky. I have both types of printer and I know there are models for articulated hands floating around but I think the results wouldn’t be great. And you’d also have to muck around with tiny pins or else use ball joints with may not end up very precise from a 3D Printer. I’m definitely going to try printing wing filling panels though.
    With paint on the other hand, you just need to worry about the paint sticking. A nice Lacquer based paint like Tamiyas lacquers should stick fairly well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Yeah, exactly this. It IS molded, it's just an indent instead of protruding. Personally, I do like the protruding style better, but that's still a molded and painted detail, not just "paint instead of molding".

7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    The cartoon didn't exactly look like a proper F-15, either.

If I'm being totally honest, though, looking like a proper F-15 would be better, but I prefer liberties to be taken with the alt mode to have a good bot mode, not the other way around.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

It's a mystery why we live in a world with a Cosmos and Seaspray war and no Seeker war :p 

IMO the painted details, turbine nipples etc come down to aesthetic preferences. I don't think he had turbines in the show. I wonder if someone could make mini turbines that sit snugly in the intakes...

True about the neck though. Apparently it's due to the back of the head? In that case maybe a replacement head could fix that too.

I feel like vehicle accuracy went out in favour of toon accuracy here.

I don't mind, because we have the MP-11 mould for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  9. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    Maybe @jream can make some new MP11 faces for this guy and make them lighter grey. I would be down for that.
    Got to see the face in person, but I think it's just too dark.

10. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    OK, I finally got to watch Bobby Skullface's review. Now, for the record, I actually really enjoy his reviews. I think he's entertaining, and after watching some of the other guys who always seem to be super positive about what they're reviewing (and I actually understand that, especially if it's your figure and not a review sample) I appreciate that he's a little harder on the toys he reviews. That said, I know how he is. I know that he's not so great with more complex transformations. I know that he's fairly heavy-handed, and he doesn't always seem to be familiar with the transformation when he does it on camera.

With that in mind, I don't know if it's just the particular copy he's playing with or if it's his heavy-handedness, but I've transformed my copy several times now and the ONLY thing that's come off was the nose cone. The hip skirts haven't come off. No parts of the wings have come off. What's more, they've never seemed like they were going to come off. That's not from taking extra care with them, because that's before I heard about any parts coming off. Just regular posing and transforming. If you buy Meteor for yourself, you WILL probably have the nose cone pop off (seems more likely to happen going robot to jet, rather than jet to robot). You probably will NOT have anything else coming off.

The other thing in his review I'm going to take issue with is when he said that transforming the torso is a pain. Look, that's an opinion, and he's entitled to his. But mine is that it's not that different than MP-11's. In fact, here's a list of toys that I bought that came out this year that have more complex transformations than Meteor:

MPM-4 Movie Optimus Prime
    GT Op Ex
    TFM Powertrain
    TFM Overturn
    TFC Raging Bull
    TFC Thousandkills
    TFC Mentarazor
    The ToyWorld Coneheads
    UT whatever-the-hell-they-called-their-Swindle

Is Meteor as easy and as intuitive as something like MMC's Kultur, MMC's Calidus, Fans Hobby's Archenemy, or Badcube's Huff 2.0? No, he's not. It's going to take a few transformations to get used to how the bits in his torso collapse, and how is nose cone unfurls. But once you get used to that, the rest is collapsing the arms and Combiner Wars-ing the legs. It's a middle-of-the-road kind of transformation, not super easy but not overly difficult.

Now, I'm disagreeing with that part of Skullface's review because if you're on the fence I don't want bits falling off or a complicated transformation to disuade you, because I agree with the rest of his review. He does have great articulation. The joint tolerances are good. His feet are NOT unstable. What looks in a lot of photos like cheap plastic is actually a gorgeous glossy red paint. I'm not a fan of the full-toon aesthetic, but Meteor is still miles better than the official despite that. The back does look unfinished, he does have limited range looking up, there are those little gaps in his forearms, and even with all that in his "cons" column he absolutely destroys MP-11.

Now, I'm a big "to each their own" kind of guy. If you disagree, if you honestly prefer MP-11 for whatever reason, I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong. You do you, OK? And I'm not saying that Meteor is perfect, because he's not. He's got his issues, and they've been well covered in this thread. But we come here, we share our opinions and offer each other advice, and what I'd say is that if for some reason you're like me and you don't have an MP Starscream in your collection then you should definitely buy Meteor. Your other options, even "improved" KOs, are not worth considering. And if you do have an MP Starscream, well, I certainly understand figuring that what you have is good enough (I didn't feel like shelling out for Sovereign since I already have Tyrant). I especially understand it if you have a complete set of Seekers and you're already thinking ahead about the cost of replacing three or six of them (I'm in for Skywarp and Thundercracker, but I'll probably stick with ToyWorld's Coneheads). But it's my opinion, take it for what you will, that Meteor is so much better than MP-11 that, even with his flaws, you should consider dumping your officials and getting Meteor anyway.

• Like Like x 9
  11. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

So, like, the opposite of Hasbro’s Marvel and Star Wars Crossovers with TF?

12. Soundwave GI

It’s not supposed to look like a proper F-15. It looks proper toon, which is the goal here. MP11 so did not nail bit mode. So maybe get one for each.

Well said, I have zero problems with anything but the nose...and I don’t care. The figure is so good. There are so few MP figures out there that don’t have quirks that I’m surprised by all the shade thrown Meteor’s way. Perhaps it’s just because it’s such a high profile character or people wanting to believe and justify that their MP11 is better. I understand it if MP11 is your preference, but then why are you still here? This is a bot purely, 100%, about toon accuracy and they pulled it off in both modes remarkably and the more I mess around, the better it seems. If you are on board with the toon accuracy, then this is your figure. If not, cool. MP11 is still fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  13. Gen jay

Gen jay Well-Known Member

Like Mikeszekely, I've been looking for a decent MP starscream for awhile now. Couldn't get myself to spend the ridiculous amount on a poor (IMO) representation of SS in Mp-11, I was tempted by the improved KO version. Even then I have to hold back on getting one.

Now I'm just glad that there's another player in the market with SS in a vastly improved (not perfect, and again IMO) mold. I can understand that people who are already heavily invested in mp-11 do not feel the need to replace what they have. But for people looking to get a MP SS, HM is pretty hard to beat based on reviews I've seen thus far at least.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there's a hefty dose of this. Takara's Seeker mould has been around for so long and in so many different options and price points that it's become almost standard in an MP collection. Die hard fans and collectors are reluctant to admit that it's not the be-all and end-all Seeker mould. I've lost track of how many people come in here bragging about how many versions of the mould they own, from original MP-03 Greenscream all the way through to the oversized KO. There are folks here who have easily spent $3000 plus on Takara's mould.
    To have something come out that's retailing for $120 off the bat (as opposed to the $200 that Takara often charges for theirs) has got to hurt. For the newcomer to look so good is also a pain, and then there's the whole "I hate toon accuracy" spiel, even though IMHO this actually does a nice job of blending toon styling with some subtle moulded detail (panel lining on wings, moulded details on thighs, shins, even nice lines on the chest and canopy).
    This is actually far less "plain toon" than Inferno or Shockwave, and the alt mould actually has some great panel lining on it.
    Then you throw in the fact that it actually has some flaws and suddenly criticism is easy and can be justified. If this thing was perfect, then only the anti-3P junkies would be able to protest it. Honestly if MT had done the wings properly (the way the original protoype showed) and done a better job with that nose cone C-Clip, I think people would have been singing it's praises. But because it has some flaws, everyone can happily protest, pointing to all the little nit-picks, while secretly ignoring the biggest glaring issue that most of them are trying to ignore - that this makes their investment in MP-11 a huge mistake.
    I often like to ask myself how a legacy figure would stand up if released "today", as opposed to "back then". Take Quakewave. People love him, and a huge part of that is rose coloured glasses from his history. If Quakewave was released today, in the current market, even without MP-29, how many would praise him? Look at the grief Badcube are copping for the changes to their Huffer, think of the hate garnered by Tesla's face sculpt. A Shockwave as inaccurate as Quakewave would be laughed off the stage.
    Do the same with MP-11. Imagine, if you can, that Takara released MP-11 tomorrow, without the history and the legacy. If Takara tried to pass that off as "the best Starscream they could do". How many would honestly be happy with him? I think if Howling Meteor had come first and Takara released MP-11 after, the feelings would be very different.
    As always, these are my own, heavily biased opinions.

• Like Like x 3
  15. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Damn son ... my scroll button broke!!:) 

• Like Like x 6
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's get the discussion back to Howling Meteor instead of video reviewers please, thanks.

With Howling Meteor the emphasis was definitely on robot mode. Maybe MakeToys did this deliberately as the superior vehicle option was already available from MP11. Whereas with MP11, the alt mode was emphasized more than it was on HM but balanced out so neither mode stood out as being substantially better than the other(if that makes sense). MP11 had age going against it since it was released 4-6 years after MP03 and used MP03 as a base with substantial retooling(which in turn, was based on the original MP03 prototype before Kawamori redesigned it).

So even now, it's kind of an unfair comparison since MP11 is a dated mold and feels more dated beyond 2011 since it's a retool(a substantial one at that). Whereas HM is all new. HM fits in with what I might expect from the MP line with the likes of Inferno, Shockwave, et al.

While whether or not Takara will make an all new Seeker mode is anyone's guess(rumored since 2011 or so, still yet to appear), with MP11 and HM available now, we as Starscream fans have options. While I do wish the HM F-15 mode had less exposed hinges and possibly a visible cockpit, I am also glad MakeToys used their existing design since it helps make it unique from MP11. The selling points for me on HM are the transformation and robot articulation.

Whereas for MP11 the selling points are the alt mode and more detail overall. I like both MP11 and HM for different reasons. I don't think it's a case of which one is clearly superior to the other. It boils down to preference:

• If the F-15 mode is more important to you, get MP03 or MP11
    • If robot mode visual consistency with recent MP's like Inferno, Shockwave, et al(Sunbow cartoon semblance) and articulation appeals to you more than the F-15, get Howling Meteor.
    A figure combining the detail/less exposed hinges of MP03/11 with the transformation/robot sculpt/articulation of HM would be ideal. However until something like that is made, we are left with options rather than an all in 1. As a Starscream fan, there's reason for me to have both. There's enough between the 2 to help them stand apart and shine on their own.

• Like Like x 3
  17. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

:confused2 

18. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    All this reading and long comments really makes me tired in this thread. I only wanna read a comment "It's in stock now!"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Soundwave GI

All these points add up to want everyone is saying. If you want a very dead-on toon version of Starscream in both modes, then here you go. There’s no sense (not OP specifiacally) in being upset about anything the figure was clearly not trying to represent. In this case, that’s pure toon, and it nails it in both modes. So for what it achieves vs. what it’s trying to do, it’s a pretty much smashing success.

20. Soundwave GI

I think the emphasis was on both modes. It’s dead on to the toon alt mode as much as robot mode.