Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Heh, yeah, same here. The moment Obscure-Not-Even-Transformer-Characters-Repaint/Remold releases started getting their own MP numbers, while actual characters like the Seekers & Coneheads were only getting letters tacked onto MP-11, I lost all track of the release numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

Totally agree, I just use this:

The Transformers: Masterpiece - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  3. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I can name dem all, except for which cassette goes with which number.

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'd say mp22 was the first fully toon figure of recent times with mp25 starting the full mass shift. Ironically mp09 is arguably one of the most screen accurate figures before it was even a thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

MP09 is what started the scale standard contrary to the belief it was MP10. MP10 was based off of scale next to MP09 as the new standard. But toon accuracy was way later apart from MP09 which you are completely dead on about.

• Like Like x 1
  6. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

If TT were to reissue MP-09 just with better materials that fix everything it will still be the best Rodimus/Hot Rod ever made. Would gladly pay retail for that, it is such a beautiful figure.

• Like Like x 2
  7. franpincho

That is also very true. Mp-09's sin was that it was simply too ambitious for its own good. Way ahead of its time.

8. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

This is something I will agree with you, though personaly as an avid SG collector his black version was sorely lacking the damn beard. Snapping parts ignored ofc......

9. franpincho

The black version is simply stunning. So god damn beautiful. A stand alone piece that sadly, can not be touched.

I have contemplated buying it again and fix it somehow, but I shouldn't have to do that.

10. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I shouldn't have to fix my mpm4, but i did amyway and i love it.

Still doesnt tab but i love it either way.

11. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You had it and gave it away? I was contemplating on buying it too even in the exorbitant price it goes for. Then I thought Id switch over to DX terror. But I find the fact that he has a trailer not to be SG material so....

12. franpincho

Stupidly sold it. The QC issues drove me insane and didn't know at the time how expensive it was going to get.

I'm always looking for a deal on it though, anything $240 or less is likely what I'd fork over.

13. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I mean, to each their own, but I don't see how Takara could make any version of MP-09 that's anywhere near as good as Carry. Carry might be my favorite 3P toy.

What fixes did you do? I saw Emgo did a video on MPM-4 that basically said you don't need to modify the toy at all, you just have to tab the cab together in a particular way that doesn't use the same order of steps as the instructions. I tried his method when I got mine, and it worked. It's a little finicky, because if something comes out of place before everything is done and tabbed you have to pull him apart and start over, but it does work. No gaps, no mods.

EDIT: thanks to @aledromo I got Howling Meteor today. Haven't messed with him yet, but my initial impression is very positive.

• Like Like x 3
  14. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  15. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Oooh, I saw the review for this guy and I think I need him in my life.

Can't wait for repaints - I really need a Thundercracker.

IMO just take Carry and make his aesthetic a bit more G1. Perfect G1 Rodimus, boom.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Man, I can't help but imagine a set of reprolabels on this guy. I think I finally found my MP seekers.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    Thank you sir!

• Like Like x 2
  18. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Had some time to mess with him tonight, and he's very good.

Yes, aesthetically he's a little too cartoon, but I don't he looks as bad in hand as he does in pictures. The pictures look like he's got a lot of cheap, glossy red plastic but most of the red is actually paint, and the underlying plastic quality is very good. I don't have an MP-11, but he's heavier and feels more solid than my MP-03-based Walmart Skywarp. Speaking of solid, he tabs together nicely in robot mode, so his torso isn't going to come undone if you look at him funny.

The articulation on this guy is fantastic. It's not just that he has a waist swivel or even an ab crunch that MP-03/11 don't. He's got more range on his elbows, knees, and hips than they do. Getting him into really dynamic poses is a treat, and like I said earlier I think that it makes up for the cartoony aesthetic.

Transformation is good. In some ways, it's the same as every other Seeker; get the nose out, collapse the torso to make room for the arms, scrunch up the legs, flip the wings around. But the way that the nosecone explodes from his body, the way that his lats curl in to the space vacated by the nose, the way his vertical stabs fold into his calves and his horizontal stabs wrap around the back of his leg is new. It allows him to have a better-proportioned bot mode and cleaner legs/hips. Those differences take a little practice to get used to, but ultimately feel easier/better than even ToyWorld's Coneheads.

That's not to say he's perfect. Aside from the complaints about the cartoon aesthetic there are the wings, the fact that he can't look up, and the fact that the nosecone pops off during transformation. These are legit criticisms, but honestly, in hand they're not so bad.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with him. I'll definitely get Skywarp and Thundercracker in this mold. I wasn't planning on replacing the ToyWorld Coneheads, but honestly Meteor's so good that now I think I might. If you don't have an MP Starscream then Meteor is definitely the one you should get, but I honestly think he's good enough that you should consider replacing MP-11 with him.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  19. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Maketoys "had me at hello" with this prototype. I'll gladly sell off my MP11 Takara seekers for these seekers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

Great thoughts.

• Like Like x 1