Maketoys MTRM-08 Despotron (Masterpiece Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 18, 2015.

1. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Amen. Also while appy looks good when there's a better one released he will look like shit. He doesn't even look as good as Scoria, And even scoria now looks like shit, so imagine how fucked up appy will look when there's an actual better looking figure that's of high quality as well. Appy will be a fucked up looking shitty build former by that time.

Time to trade up y'all.

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    How the hell did i miss this! those legs look to be the right shape buzzing for the proper reveal

if they smash this then it's bte bye apollyon , looks good in my collection but so much coud be better about it

parden what? where? when?

3. paul5409

paul5409 Adequate Member

4. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think the only thing you can fairly compare between Ollie and Apollyon is their aesthetics. However, your comparison to MP-09 is pretty apt. If you don't think MP-09 is worth buying, assuming you're a Rodimus fan, then Apollyon might be a figure you want to avoid. But if you can appreciate what MP-09 does so very well and put it above the fact he's finicky and requires care in handling, I would put Apollyon in that same company.

As for this, we'll see. I have a feeling Apollyon will have the superior looks. This one may well come out more play friendly, though. Although from some of the MT shit I do have, I wouldn't exactly say they're the epitome of fluid, fun, and intuitive toys. But build quality is at least pretty solid. Aesthetically, though...eh, it varies...a lot.

5. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Suddenly regretting buying Apollyon.....

I just got Cupola in, and while there are a few niggles here and there, the build quality and engineering are much more refined than what went into Apollyon IMO.

Without even seeing a silhouette, I can reasonably guess that i'll enjoy Maketoy's Megatron a lot more than Apollyon simply given their track record, higher materials quality and more intuitive engineering. I transformed Apollyon once, coated his ball joints in nail polish (which still didn't work completely but was a better fix than the overly tight replacements that were included) and have left him standing in my shelf ever since.

Apollyon looks great and has great shelf-presence, but if I wanted a good-looking statue i'd have bought one. I'm very much looking forward to Despotron's reveal.

6. Optimus Dime

Optimus Dime Transform and Roll Out!

Love My Apollyon. This just looks like a watered down version of it from the looks of it. He just doesn't have the bulk that Megatron should have. I am sticking with what I have, until/if Hastak does him. Plus if anything, all they could possibly do is make the gun mode look better. Apollyon is dead on Megs in Bot Mode.

Best Regards,

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You're crazy.

Good toys don't become shit with the passage of time. That would be a horrible world to live in!

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So... What's with the Appolyon hate in here? That figure rocks.

9. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Seems like New Girlfriend Syndrome, where the ex-girlfriend all of a sudden goes from hottest babe ever to skank when the new girlfriend comes into the picture.

10. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I just got Apollyon on Friday. Opened him up and cannon arm is floppy as heck. It won't hold a pose.

I know there are shoulder joint replacements out there but this shouldn't be happening on what is supposed to be MP/Premium figure.

On topic, silhouettes need to die, show or don't show.

11. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Wow. Well as much as I love my $60 MP Megatron, if this thing is half as cool as its teaser, I'll bite.

Apollyon was cool, but I wasn't feeling it.

12. 52gdpl

52gdpl Well-Known Member

Why are you saying "out there"? Doesnt your apollyon come with replacements?

13. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Meant to say 'in there'. Still having to replace something out of the box isn't great.

14. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Once you replace it, its right as rain. BTW, how many replacement parts did HasTak send with MP Rodimus? Would rather they included a replacement part then not.

15. LazyAza

LazyAza color go brrrr

News Credits:
  16. LazyAza

LazyAza color go brrrr

News Credits:
    I'd say the analogy is more along the lines of a car being replaced by a much better car.

The old car had a strangely too wide rear axel, some weird weight distribution problems, a few parts that weren't quite bolted n welded right, the steering was a little finicky and it cost you way more money to keep running than it really should have.

Now you don't know what the new car looks like exactly but its being produced by the 2nd best car company in existence who have a long track record of making some of the best cars in history now, all of them very well made, well designed and very pleasing to the eye. So its a safe gamble that trading in the old clunker and getting ready to spend on the amazing new thing is the smart choice.

Which is funny to me because I was saying that old car was a piece of crap like months before the thing hit the market, that other better alternatives would come along in the not too distant future, etc. Amazing that so many people just didn't have the patience or faith. Heck I was expecting takara to show one by now and they still might sooner rather than later, yet I'd presume it to look near identical to what MT is doing and not be that much cheaper.

Anyone else kinda hoping MT does a flat color glossy version and a super shiny metalic version? Aka "toy gun" deco and "real gun" deco. That'd be neat.

17. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

+1

18. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    We haven't even seen the new car yet. It might have the build quality of a Porsche but look like a Cayenne or a Panamera.

19. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Mine is just fine, no issues besides the shoulder.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

My Apollyon came out great and the quality seems on par with the Maketoys Cupolla I just got in. So I think any talk of this toy "blowing Apollyon away" is misplaced. They will probably wind up as similar in quality/design and build but people will make it seem like night and day. I doubt I'll go in for a Maketoys Megatron, but it is still a possibility because it would be handy to keep one in gun mode lying around for fun. :) 

Here's a prediction, people will exaggerate and use hyperbole, and no matter what someone will say Apollyon is a piece of sh** compared to Despotron (love the name)... and vice versa. I wonder if someone has already made that claim even though Maketoys has only shown a silhouette.