Maketoys Hellfire - RM-03 (MP Inferno)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Mr_K, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    OK, it's still a rad design, BUT...

I think they have gone a little TOO toy centric on this design. Needs more toon influence. The head sculpt is especially offending.

2. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it looks like this I'll buy this figure in a heartbeat. The only thing about it that bugs me is the head design. Please add in an extra head sculpt that is more toon oriented.

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Seeing them lined up like this puts me off his chubby legs. I'm sure another company will do one eventually so I'm in no rush.

Can't have been that obscure otherwise we'd have been none the wiser. It's fine, you can't see the design cues, others can and could see who it was. Shit happens.

4. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

I think head looks fine. The toon head looks kinda goofy.

5. Illmatic

Illmatic Well-Known Member

Not too fond of the ridges on his legs or the headsculpt, but the rest of him looks good. I guess I need an actual prototype pic to decide.

6. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Not digging the lower legs and feet. An physical mold may change my mind. Otherwise, I like the rest a lot.

7. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    For those who want skinnier legs and feet----then what's going to form the back half of the truck is half their mass is removed?

8. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

And unlike in the case of Gun Dog, there were a number of people who weren't so sure. The silhouette was very different from this drawing. That was my only point in responding to Lazy. The silhouette was not as faithful to the traditional representations of Inferno as the drawing. To act as if we were idiots not to be certain about the character from that silhouette because the drawing is so obvious is myopic. Simple as that.

As I said, kudos to you who deciphered the silhouette. Bravo.

9. mtmte586

mtmte586 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks good. I just to know the ballpark price now.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It wasn't just me though. Would it make you feel better if I said the design cues weren't there and we just had a group guess? 'Very different' would suggest some of us guessed it was Inferno from the Chromedome silhouette. I've listed out the obvious similarities and can do no more if you still can't see them.

I also never suggested anyone was an idiot and take offence at you suggesting so. If another person finds it odd how some can see things and some can't and you take that as a personal slight and start getting defensive over it then you need to take a step back from the situation and get some perspective. Unless of course you can show me where I called you an idiot?

I suggest we move on. Some ppl saw it straight away, some ppl still can't seemingly. Contrary to the defensive attitude nothing bad will happen to you. Promise.

11. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome job! :thumb 

Gotta agree. It is very G1 toy-like.

Overall not bad. The face isn't bad...it isn't accurate...but it isn't bad. A heck-of-alot better than Gun Dog's. :redface2: 

The only thing that really bothers me is the ladder hanging off of the back so far down. Seems like that could have been dealt with better...maybe sliders or clever folding. I dunno, I can forgive it on the G1 toy but would hope for more with a masterpiece level figure. If not anything else, for more cartoon accuracy.

[​IMG]

If they do Grapple...that kibble will be even worst...

[​IMG]

12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Anyone that wants this toon accurate is smoking some good crack, he looks like a goofball.

13. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i actually like the design of this :) 

much prefer the toy aesthetics of this to the animation model and i think in some cases the animation model should never be followed too closely and this is one of them

definitely buying this and hound but giving their chromedome a miss just not feeling that one

14. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree in general...in fact I've been a big advocate for toy over toon in many cases. In this particular case, I think everything is pretty solid...except for his third leg kick stand in the back :p 

15. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Never said it was just you. In fact, if you read my comment "kudos to you who deciphered the silhouette", the "who" in that comment implies a number of people, not just you. I'm fully aware there were many, perhaps the majority. Doesn't change my point.

As I said when we discussed this earlier in the thread, I can see what you were referring to after you pointed them out, though, as I've listed several times, those similarities were much less similar than they are in the line drawing. So no, I don't think you made a "group guess," just that the similarities were not as close as they are in the line drawing, and the implications not so clear as in the line drawing, and there was reason for some doubt.

If you read my comment, I never suggested *you* did so. I said "That was my only point in responding to *Lazy*. The silhouette was not as faithful to the traditional representations of Inferno as the drawing. To act as if we were idiots not to be certain about the character from that silhouette because the drawing is so obvious is myopic." (Emphasis added.) In other words, my suggestion that seems to offend you was about Lazyaza's implication--the implication in the comment I was replying to in my earlier comment about which you seemed to get defensive. If you are going to assume I was referring to you when I specifically replied to and later mentioned Lazy, perhaps you need to take your own advice about taking a step back and getting some perspective. Maybe sing a wise old Carly Simon song. :) 

16. Harleytron

Harleytron Decepticon

im good with this. im in.

17. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Well they don't call it plastic crack for nothing......

18. Grimmrock

Grimmrock Dinobot

Are there actual pictures of this somewhere or is everyone just commenting on the sketch? I really can't translate the sketch into a plastic visual, so jury is still out for me.

19. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I dislike the g1 toon head a lot compared to the toys. Also 3p designers (such as maketoys) tend to go for toy design over toon design, because it typically looks much better and this looks much better.

And as david said, skinny legs would mean odd looking alt mode. And he looks way better with big legs as they balance out his proportions and take away (as I've said before) the "box on sticks" look of the original toy.

Which is why I colored it few pages back: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...hellfire-rm-03-mp-inferno-9.html#post12256445

It's also not just a sketch but a cad render they've traced over. Its what MT does they don't actually draw these traditionally, they just don't wanna show their unfinished 3d models raw and this is a more "conceptual" way to reveal their work before they show the real thing as a proto.

20. Illmatic

Illmatic Well-Known Member

Please, please...get with the times. Plastic crack is yesterday's news. I prefer plastic meth.