Maketoys Giant

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by snip312, Nov 9, 2011.

1. BLACKWAR

BLACKWAR Chaos Trinity Decepticon

He's saying he's jealous of the green giant feature, but is happy to have the yellow version of Giant (Green giant is the mascot of a brand of peas, hence the corn joke). I often think if I want the green version, but I like the yellow version too much to give in to just a few features like the crane removing or the other little fixes. Yellow and purple looks better to me, and doubles as being more real world styled.

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you. That makes so much more sense...

I have yellow as well and love it to pieces.

3. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'm sorry I was way to lazy to type what he typed but yeah what he said lol and i agree i'm not willing to change out the green for the yellow over a few features, plus g2 devy was my first combiner

4. BAD MOON

BAD MOON Wrecker

Wish they would produce an upscaled Giant to match the size of Warbo's not-Bruticus as that looks to be an acceptable size to match to the current Has-Tak MP's. Giant really looks best design wise.

5. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I love Giant, but I actually wish the new Hastak CW Constructions just had some damn posability because it looks to scale great with the Warbo bots, Feral Rex etc... They just won't match well in their neo-brick bot modes.

6. Swoop716

Swoop716 Vegetarian eater

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Rearranging the desk and I figured I'd take this guys out.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Isn't that crazy? I got in to the hype of feral Rex and warbatron, but looking back at all the combiners we've had to date and it's all clear. The greatest combiner of them all was the first one (second one, third if you count FP brut add on).

In combined form green giant is still the greatest combiner made thus far by any company. Minor gripes I personally have with it are the small size and some of the individual bots not looking too hot. Apart from that its still nr1 and has the least negative drawbacks of any combiner IMO.

Looking back at them all, how would you guys rate them?

Anything Tfc is ass IMO, I don't like their brickobots at all, combined or individually.

Ut predaking was ass as well, their take on abominus is actually pretty good. Not giant good, but some of the individual bots look better than giants individual bots.

Warbo, I don't like their individual modes most of the time. Their combined form looks good but they don't look very g1 to me. Their comp looks more g1 than their brut though.

Mt Computron while looking really great doesn't look as good as giant. And what's worse their individual bots generally look like crap IMO, so finicky and breakable. I feel the same way about FP menasor. Looks good combined but looks terrible in every other way.

Finally mmc, looks good combined. Was even my favourite for a small while, though not giant good anymore IMO. I especially dislike the individual bit modes while their alt modes do look good. I can stand the skinny upper leg syndrome and how they all share the same crotch and legs.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maketoys Giant is still my favorite combiner right now. Only thing I can think of that comes close is Feral Rex and maaaaaybe Quantron post-fixes. Intimidator is too much of a chore to transform and the limb bots are too small, Crossfire Bruticus is limited by those old Energon toys, Warbotron is too greebly and busy, TFC combiners are just ugly and usually not all that stable. I will however get UT Abominus if Hasbro doesn't make their own by the end of the CW line.

10. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    giant is the most solid combiner I have (compared to quantron and intimidator) but his combined proportions and derpy head is what's throwing me off - he's a little too chunky for my taste. individual modes are fantastic, but combined mode leaves a little to be desired.

intimidator is a bit more of a chore, but I love the complexity and think he has the best proportioned combined mode.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, Intimidator's combined mode is where he shines. Great display piece as Menasor. The problem I have with him are his individual bot modes and just general playability.

12. hudspethnl

hudspethnl Combaticon

For anyone interested, selling my GG to pay the tax man! Link in sig :) 

13. dapro

dapro Well-Known Member

How does the Giants scale with masterpiece figures?

14. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

15. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Wow that doesn't scale, like at ALL. Damn, such a shame.I knew they were small, but this is ridiculous.

On a side not, somebody needs to make a MP sized combiner that actually looks like its g1 interpretation and transforms in pretty much the exact same way. I mean an updated look is alright, but by updated in a Dreamwave fashion where it's still the same bot and alt mode just looking fresher. These redesigns are pretty much meh compared to the source material.

16. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I think more important than it not scaling well with Masterpiece figures is that it doesn't aesthetically work with them. Even if you scaled it up it would be wrong. It's wonderful for what it was meant for. Classics style displays. Updated design at a smaller (than MP) scale.

[​IMG]IMG_4269 by dangercorpse, on Flickr

17. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    A lot of people are stating that the Titan Devs will server their "MP purpose."

As for Giant, he's great. I'd love to get some add on barrels made for the guns so I can make one a Sniper Rifle of sorts and the second one maybe a Grenade Launcher.

18. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    As much as I love Giant (and I do), it scales better with the CHUG figs, but still comes in on the small size. Would have loved him to be as large as Hercules.

19. Gauntlet101010

Gauntlet101010 Well-Known Member

There's no winning the scale wars. Herc's on the small side too compared to later offerings. That's one of the annoying things about 3rd party combiners - they just get bigger and bigger.

20. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I really will never understand why people care so much about small height differences. I don't even care about the height difference between Hegemon and Orion. And yes I consider this a insignificant difference in height.

It's fine if it matters that much to other people but the only time it bothers me is when the heights are really far off. I guess everyone has their threshold on that.