Maketoys Cross Dimension Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Serious question: How well did he sell?

2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    No idea, but I only ever saw him and unicronus on shelves once each, I’m my area Optimus Prime was the shelfwarmer

• Like Like x 2
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been seeing a lot of him, but that's because he's also in the case pack with Optimus Primal as well. So there's like, twice as much of him on the shelves around here as there was Optimus Prime (never got the Rodimus Unicronus case pack around here to even that out).

• Like Like x 2
  4. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i don't disagree with you, but there's not another way to give him a trailer and make him a fast looking sports car, i'm baised on the prime with trailers thing, maybe the energon rodimus fast truck with a trailer could work but sports car to me is roddy and trailer is rodimus, but that's just me and i seem to currently be an a-hole in the community with my unpopular opinions :p 

you have a TRU still :eek:  anyways i'm like @tigatron2002 saw very little of him and unicronus, and had they been voyagers i'd have purchased and he'd have replaced MMC's offering which i see as a roddy and not a rodimus, again my prefrence is prime, i cheered for rodimus when he got the matrix and primed and shed non a tear at optimus death, 7734 i was mad when prime returned and took the matrix back

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

I'm up in Canada that's why there's TRU still haha. however it still has TLK cogman and the leader class Megatron shelf warming too, so maybe my city isn't the best example of how well a figure sells, hell I got a second MPM barricade for around 60 bucks Canadian (45 USD) because they shelf warmed so long haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redrum2581

Ebay:
    yeah i know that only us and europe tru closed, they're still open in kuwait when i was there last yr after the final us store shut down, they even had marvel select something i never saw in a us store. i will likely buy anything MT does in the Rodimus plan if it's the same size or a tad bigger than MMC's offering and in SG colors

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    I live in Ohio and Rodimus is a huge shelf warmer in my area too. But yeah we'd need a bigger group to do a proper estimate.

8. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I know this won't go over well, but how about a different spin on Hot Rod to Rodimus?

Hot Rod turns into a supercar, and his Rodimus mode is him combining with his car hauler? I know, I know, not G1 enough.

Something like these vintage ones (but make them retro-futuristic), for a single car. The car being enclosed in glass inside the trailer I think would be better visually as well as for display.

491019527adfc2af5acc63f0f654904a.jpg image_18913.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  9. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

I can highly recommend Kotobukiya's "M.S.G." series of add-ons and upgrade parts. They're made for mecha model kits (Frame Arms, Gundam) but they work fine with a lot of classics-sized Transformers. I've got a pile of them here I've been meaning to assemble for some of my 3P figures - chainsaws with moving parts for FP's Constructo Core and a bunch of nasty looking bladed weapons for Beastructor; a gigantic Drill weapon for MT Giant, a big nasty spiked hammer for MT Thunder Erebus, etc.

They're real easy to assemble, and they're usually cheap - lots under $5, and even the bigger ones are usually under $10. They even have much more complicated pieces like jetpacks, beam sabers that actually light up, all that stuff.

If you liked the weapons pack that came with Striker Noir, there's no need to wait for MT to make more. :) 

https://hlj.com/search/go?w=*&af=selectseries:modelingsupportgoods

• Like Like x 2
  10. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I agree, they're pretty cool weapons and work with Cross Dimensions figures. I've got a few more I haven't gotten around to. Also started adding some highlights.

IMG_20180413_192949.jpg IMG_20180413_193034.jpg IMG_20180418_061349.jpg IMG_20180507_224054.jpg IMG_20180518_234554.jpg IMG_20180518_234645.jpg IMG_20180518_234731.jpg IMG_20180518_234759.jpg IMG_20180520_002400.jpg IMG_20180520_222126.jpg IMG_20180520_223207.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. redrum2581

Ebay:
    i like where your head is at though they gives me a more ultra magnus vibe, it's still a great fresh idea
    [​IMG]
    i could go for this as well but more cybertronian styled

• Like Like x 5
  12. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

Neither shelfwarmed here, but I know for a fact we have a scalper in the area, so take that as you will. Having said that, he has collector identity and a cool looking bot mode so I could see kids enjoying, but I seriously doubt that kids recognize the vehicle mode, and parents probably wonder why it's a futuristic RV. I still think it's the most ridiculous alt mode in a toy line full of odd choices (pistol, Walkman, camera, and microscope?). It was obvious he didn't scan an earth mode, but yet he gets a useless trailer (never used it in the cartoon) and becomes less fast. Looked like a downgrade to me.

I loved (still do) Optimus Prime, cried at his death, loved Hot Rod, and cheered for his "ascending", and then was completely flabbergasted at the foreign weird vehicles he turned into...as a kid, in the 80's... Hot Rod doesn't get enough credit, but he is more relate-able than Optimus Prime. OP was a hero and was meant to be looked up to, but Hot Rod was an inexperienced kid who became a hero and then was thrust into leadership. Season 3's addressing that issue is the single best story arc of the 80's, with the exception of Grimlock's New brain.

Yeesh, I still never saw Cogman...and I wanted him so badly, but didn't want to pay $30 or more for him online. Hot Rod I got for half price at Ollies though. At least they are releasing the mold in Studio Series. One man's shelfwarmer is another man's treasure!

I have looked at them on a number of occasions but never pulled the trigger on them. Really couldn't tell about 5mm compatibility. I want my Transformers to actually able to grip their weapons (I would like to applaud MakeToys for their rail system, everyone else needs to copy that!). Having said all that, MakeToys weapons that came with Striker Noir were awesome and I would love to see what they come up with next. I have tons of extra weapons at home from Shapeways and various garage operations like Nonnef and Renderform. Another advantage with the MakeToys weapon set was they came with accessories that allowed for weapon storage and different configurations.

Love them photos. Thanks for that. The scythe is most interesting to me. My figures need more melee to be honest. I already have several 3P options, like the WFC axe, and have been buying Dr. Wu where I can find them.

Back on subject though. I can't wait for this guy and MTCD hasn't released a pic I didn't like yet. We still need a proper Voyager sized Rodimus Prime, and IDW Rodimus just doesn't cut it. I was really hoping that KBB would downsize DX9's Carry. That looked like an amazing Rodimus Prime, just in MP Scale. For those who don't know of it, it actually incorporated all of "trailer" bits into the robot mode. Sheer genius design in my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  13. redrum2581

Ebay:
    @Optimugatron OP barely used his trailer in the cartoon, tbh i can only think of 1 episode, but i was thinking Orion Pax had a more Kup like alt mode before becoming OP and getting a beefier alt mode (WfC/FoC/Earth) so what if we did a Rodimus that when he became Prime instead of the iconic space race winnebago we go with his Energon mode with a trailer as if he was towing something. It gives that race look and is beefier heck if the trailer can serve the same person the camper did turn into a weapons cache base thingy

14. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    People keep talking about Rodimus when everything about this design says voyager Hotrod to me.

And I am super down for that and its very likely black n purple version too. I actually hope they don't even entertain the idea of a Rodmus version with a trailer or armor or whatever. If they do Rod I want him to be an entirely separate design, completely stand alone and self contained with his own awesome transformation and zero partsforming for maximum fun and maximum awesome engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really just want one 3rd Party Rodimus to have the MP Black Convoy deco rather than the Lost Light one (not that there's anything wrong w/the LL one - I have both MMC's and SXS's). More blue than purple + the turquoise just really seems like it'd pop

16. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

@LazyAza while black repaints seem to be a thing with the CD line (and I bet this design would look awesome in SG Rodimus colors), I'm still holding out hope for blue ones.

Blue Striker Noir - Delta Convoy.
    Blue Buster Skywing - Tread Bolt.
    Blue CD Hot Rod? Sideburn.

It's all obscure, but they'd have at least one buyer for each one. :) 

Also.

17. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

Yes, he but he did in fact use it still, unlike Rodimus Prime.

I actually mentioned earlier in this thread that a Rodimus Prime like the Energon Rodimus would be an ideal design ideal and direction.

To be clear, I have no problem getting the space Winnebago mode for Rodimus Prime if the bolt mode has the right look, whether I consider it appropriate or not, I just think that a new alt mode would be more relevant today and just plain look cooler. I am open to new ideas, or updated old ones, but my preference in this case is a new concept with a G1 looking bot mode, that's all.

POTP Rodimus Prime tried very hard to give everyone what they want, but aside from the design's shortcomings, it just is too big to match my other CHUG leader characters.

Frankly, Hasbro needs to still make a Voyager Rodimus Prime and a Leader Galvatron to make everyone happy and fill in the gaps of collections. Perhaps the War for Cybertron Trilogy will give us updated ones in the second or third lines. I could see one of them being a 2005 era theme with appropriate bots, including the missing Targetmasters, Headmasters, and a Titan Scorponok.

I apologize for side-tracking the thread again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Personally my choice of leaders this far is
    Optimus prime-perfect effect pc-16
    Megatron-nbk megatron
    Rodimus prime-hot rod portion of potp rodimus prime
    Galvatron-tr Galvatron

Those 4 size together pretty well with the only larger one being Galvatron, which is kind of fitting

19. UltraMagnusLRLL

UltraMagnusLRLL Occasional Jam-Band Drummer

Yep, I am on board with this notion. Would probably be the absolute coolest thing I have ever seen for this character- depending on execution...

20. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kinda over this basic design now ; I'd like a change of pace like a Voyager size Energon Rodimus (that can still powerlink).