Make Toys Masterpiece Coneheads (Dirge, Ramjet, Thrust)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ZEGR, Oct 22, 2017.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Want it pretty badly, but I'm in between jobs at the moment, unfortunately.....

2. toonbot

toonbot Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don’t forget the free gift with every purchase! Wing fillers for everyone!

4. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I'll be selling my Meteor filler. Ping me if anyone's interested.

5. Bainreese

Bainreese Well-Known Member

Beautiful to me. Can’t wait.

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm actually pretty glad that their latest Crowdfund bombed. Not because I don't want people to get the figure or I don't care about it or anything like that. But because Crowdfunds are a BS way to sell products, and a company like MT that is floundering aimlessly is simply a lousy choice to abandon retail and go entirely ith Crowdfund.
    Had Pyrotail succeeded, I fully would expect MT to abandon retail sales and these three Coneheads would also have been Crowdfunded. All Maketoys products would end up going that way and all certainty around releases and availability would collapse. The failed Crowdfund, as bad as it was for those who wanted the figure, was a good thing for those who want Maketoys to keep making figures, to keep providing quality and to remain competitive and relevant to the MP audience.
    Finally, there's the on-again/off-again rumoured connections to MAAS, Mayhem Mechanics and that stain on the crotch of humanity Spence, and how bad those other CF's have gone. Maketoys needs to steer clear of the CF idea...in fact, I would venture that all the Transformers manufacturers should. Getting paid in advance for a product means the company has to be fiscally competent enough to not piss away that money on other projects and get themselves into trouble. And I don't really trust most of these companies to be able to manage that long term. All it takes is the proceeds from one Crowd Fund being used to prop up another project or pay an unexpected bill or similar and suddenly the company is chasing it's tail to try and stay one step ahead of their responsibilities.
    Meh, couldn't give a rat's about their Headmasters. And I'm certainly not buying from TFSource as a means to support any company.
    I'm just in it for the Coneheads.
    Unless they tease some other stuff from the main run of the cartoon (S1-3 and Movie) Maketoys are probably going to fall off my radar completely after these three.

Edit: Damn, re-reading this post I realise I'm coming off as super salty. Woops. Had a really rough day. Apologies if I offend anyone. Not gonna change it, because everything I'm saying is still accurate, but probably could have phrased it all better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    @Peaugh Can you swap the wings to see the Decepticon symbols?

8. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing how Thrust turns out. He's generally been my favorite of the coneheads due to his coloring.

9. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Hopefully the smaller top wings can be left in a lower hip-height position like the cartoon model and don't have to stay up behind his shoulders. Transformation seems to support that this would be possible.
    Dirge.jpg upload_2019-10-23_16-26-18.png

• Like Like x 4
  10. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the transformation, he flipped those up, so they CAN stay downward, but I don’t know if they can peg in like that or if they just hang there. I don’t like them up like that either

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Yeah. I assume there's a peg mechanism as they are fixed in place in jet mode, but it's unclear whether that mechanism still works in bot mode.
    It's funny how both Thrust and now Dirge seem to have issues with wing placement on some toys.

Edit: Looking closer at the video, it looks like the either go up near the shoulders and angle the wrong way,
    upload_2019-10-23_16-54-9.png
    they go down at the hips and again angle the wrong way

upload_2019-10-23_16-53-38.png
    or they can be angled the right way but are either at chest level
    upload_2019-10-23_16-52-27.png
    or down pretty low and possibly overlapping with the main wings.
    upload_2019-10-23_16-55-33.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I too, am not a fan of the smaller wings flipping up, but honestly he still looks better than any other MP version of Dirge. Wings up, wings down, don't care. I'll take it.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Special Edition Goose

Special Edition Goose Well-Known Member

There are a couple of early grey test shots, which show the top wing segments folded down in the correct (animation accurate) position. Then, the official Maketoys coloured promo shots, show them in this new, upper back position. It seems this is their official stance on the matter.

14. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My only concern now is that the spot for the insignia is a busy mess! How the hell can I get that to work?

Edit: tidied up and point clarified before getting grief!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    although i'm not invested in this set it's good to see they are not dead !!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    It will greatly depend on how the wings connect to the leg and how that sliding joint works, but (at least in theory) if you could work out a way to parts form the lower wings, removing them and swapping them around during transformation could work.
    It’s a crazy idea but the top of the wings is smooth, and that side features a logo in alt mode. Swap left for right during transformation and you Then have the top of the wings, with the logo, facing forward in bot mode. You still have to deal with the tail fins facing froward but there’s already a small fin there.
    It’s probably completely impractical, and maybe not even feasible, but it is one way to do it. Otherwise, you kind of have to remove the slots that the missile’s fit into, clean and smooth the wing surface, and then come up with a way to attach the missiles into the round peg hole from the null rays instead of the slot.

17. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those are good ideas! Obviously in hand is the way to check this out, so I'll see when I've got it.

I'm also considering whether there might be room here:
    Screenshot_20191023-115404_Chrome.jpg

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Nailed it in one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that other people feel the same way I do about CF's. I get the sense this is a minority position however.

Another unpopular opinion I couldn't agree with more. I prefer to think of buying Endgame as me supporting their Coneheads. The MT product I mourn is their Targetmasters. Contact Shot is a great figure.

Regarding the position of Endgame's secondary wings, one of the things I really like about the figure is the fact that they can go up like that. But I've always hated everything about the Conehead's toon models, including their stupid coneheads. Would give him a proper toy head in a heartbeat. I think the fins look much better up high. But what is truly good about MT's approach here is that apparently there's some room for "customization" in the transformation, so that everyone can get them to match the toon look, which I agree is an option that ought to be there. The tipping point for me on whether to buy MT's Thrust or keep my YM is whether I can position the wings on MT's version up high like Starscream's, the way that YM's allows. I can't stand for Thrust's super cool wings to be sitting on his hips. I seem to recall some photos a LONG time ago that suggested this was the case, but they haven't shown anything of him in ages and so I can't be certain.

20. Quintessential Prime

Quintessential Prime Well-Known Member

I think CF has the potential to work if done in the right way. MT did however mess this up with Solarflare quite horrifically. If those issues weren't there their next one - Pyrotrail - probably would have got backed.

I'd love to see MT's Coneheads, all three, their HM's and a revival of their Sureshot and Crosshairs. Maybe if Highbrow and Brainstorm (if they should make it to production and resale) will be the right point to continue this route and the timing will come back around to be more favourable.

I do wonder if people are slightly more miffed over the fact that the Takara Conheads are not that great and some may have "overpaid" for them. Perhaps there's some deflected resentment here? Knowing the MT versions may be superior but stuck with figures that cost a lot more and are no longer worth what they paid for them on the "swap-out" market?