Heavy/Scratch: Magnus To Nova Prime Conversion

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The13Primes, Aug 20, 2021.

1. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Back in lockdown so I’ve been working on something to make Siege Magnus relevant again
    This is only a rough prototype but eventually the goal is two versions, one that uses the shoulders (pictured) and one that attaches to the back (comic accurate) but that either requires additions to the backpack or drilling 5mm holes, which I’m happy to do but if i end up turning this into a ‘kit’ i want it to minimise the amount of modifications needed to the base figure.

I’ve been thinking of getting a local 3d printing person to take the prototype and make a proper kit or teach myself how to 3d model and work from there

I’ve been thinking of adding hinges in the centre of the wings (similar to what 3p’s have done)
    24884A99-B60D-4722-9C4F-5E5BEC190480.jpeg
    492379C9-B6DD-4C77-B938-588F57F850E7.jpeg
    3743D5FD-92B3-4608-AEEB-2B528A1CF4B7.jpeg

• Like Like x 21
  2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

awesome concept

3. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Coooool.

Low key been waiting on someone to do this.

4. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

Yes. Yes. Yes. If you ever sell this I'm definitely adding it to my devastation collection.

5. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

ahhh, yes. i actually bought extra netflix magnus's's to do this. i started 3d modeling a wing set up that pegs into the back. i never finished it but its funny someone else is finally doing this. I'm actually keeping my default siege magnus for my wrecker shelf. interested in seeing where you take this.

not sure if you have a 3d printer but if you want to give him the dead matrix, or whatever the hell it was called, i created an adapter that allows the matrix to store in his chest. just search me and use matrix as the key word and you will find it.

6. The13Primes

News Credits:
    Small update on the main bot
    I had a netflix magnus so swapped a few parts round for easier colour matching
    While this has become more of a personal custom i still intend to at least get the wings turned into a kit

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  7. The13Primes

News Credits:
    While i can only do so much for now as i try to source parts to make the prototype work as intended and get the bot mode to look more like nova i made a mockup of the final wings in paint

The wings will resemble a combination of a few designs, which are attached

(There is an extra 'wing' here that was an accident)
    Nova Concept.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 15
  8. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

what if you took earthrise optimus prime, changed some of the molding on the mid section and legs, gavd it a new head sculpt, painted it to be nova prime colors, then took the trailer, paint it black with gold stripes, and have the trailer turn into the wings?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

Dear seteintshoebox, I wonder how you expect to reverse engineer an entire trailer into a set of wings. While your idea is interesting, the engineering required is beyond mine and likely your mind capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  10. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

have the trailer split in half, have the floor and the door of the trailer fold up into a backpack, then have the trailer walls and roof divide up into segments, then use the trailer hitch to attach to the 5mm port on the back of prime

• Like Like x 1
  11. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

Seems legit.
    Although the intense CAD skills required surpass my mind. And hey, you seem to be lacking in likes. Let me congratulate you for being new.

12. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could achieve this with a dremel/saw and some extra ball joints and hinges, too. Maybe some magnets and/or clips in addition. But the trailer in whole is definitely too big and heavy to be ER OP's backpack.

13. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

What if you made a deeper second hole to counterbalance the weight?

14. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

that could work, but you would also have to tighten the knees a tiny bit, as well as extend the heels back a little bit so as to support the new wings

15. The13Primes

News Credits:
    Simply because:
    We all have a spare magnus and if i end up turning this into a 3d printed kit i want it to be accessible

Er prime is even less accurate to nova than magnus is, at least magnus can pull it off with the armour

and if i wanted to make a whole new trailer i may as well make an all in one figure that’s accurate to the original concept and was a long nose truck

• Like Like x 4
  16. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

well, if you did do that, you'd still have to design a new trailer, due to the transformastion of magnus, and if the truck was not a flat front like optimus, then you'd still have to design a new core figure to accomodate for this new alt mode change.

17. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

also, what do you mean "we all have a spare magnus?"

18. The13Primes

News Credits:
    I don’t think you understand what I’m doing here. It will be a simple kit that adds on to an existing figure to replicate the robot mode of nova.

You are welcome to design, model, print, test and potentially sell a completely scratch built printed or otherwise robot but it’s not as easy as you say it is. I don’t have much experience but i have seen 3d printing grow over the past 5-10 years to what it is now and I’ve seen the attempts on these boards to make a working stable robot. And a lot of the time they aren’t to big because it isn’t cheap to make at a large scale

that is a general statement
    Kingdom magnus made siege/netflix magnus obsolete (somewhat) and lot’s of people have a spare and you can now get them cheap now

• Like Like x 1
  19. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

oh. I only have had one magnus figure, planet x apollo, and I haven't really gotten another. Also, you say it's a kit, which is totally fine and I can definitely see what you're doing and where you're coming from, but I just thought ER prime would be perfect for modifications into nova prime into a permanent figure, but a kit works just fine

20. The13Primes

News Credits:
    I haven’t abandoned this, i was waiting for something crucial, i tried making my own hinges but i needed much smaller
    Someone else on the boards used nylon hinges from RC kits which i never considerd
    So here’s the start of a backpack the wings will plug into, still need to refine it for arm articulation since I didn’t take that into consideration when measuring but it’s a start

E44422C2-D0A1-4F66-A45E-265B13150150.jpeg
    8AD04AFD-F5CD-4B6F-B7F1-4B309DF41003.jpeg

• Like Like x 7