Magnificent Mecha MM-02A (2007/ROTF) & MM-02B (DOTM) Optimus Prime (Masterpiece Scale)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, May 17, 2024.

1. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Maybe. I just knew that the official MPM Optimus was going to take the leader and use it as a base for adding MP level upgrades... I was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sofa

Sofa Well-Known Member

I wonder how many techniques they might use because even though they plan to use as many faux parts, those parts have to go somewhere in truck mode, and all these parts are accumulating to a very large amount to be squooshed together.
    I do really wanna see the spaghetti considering MM had it easy peasy with Bumblebee movie-Optimus

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hah! Well you got me on a technicality, but that's not "articulation" that's a gimmick.
    That is wild and also why I feel like re-doing Optimus in the next couple of years would not be unwarranted at all. Especially since the flagship character of the series only has one figure that's very old and impossible to find for a reasonable price (not counting MPM12 cause that was such a rush job and a different version of the character).
    This is true. I don't have any problem with "I just like it more" or "it's more fun for me", but people usually frame it as "the leader is the superior figure and MPM4 is a failure" like some sort of definitive statement and that just seems odd to me, considering all the points I made.

Also different fans have different priorities when it comes to what's fun for them. For me I tend to value accuracy and posability, which MPM4 has more of over the leader, and a fun transformation, which they are probably tied on I guess.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Optitron98

Optitron98 Guy who loves blue and sarcasm

Ebay:
    I think it's important to remember that Wei Jiang and Hasbro wanted to use the truck parts to make the robot and only using faux parts (grill abs) where it'd be difficult to do so. As a result, everyhing feels logical. Hood are the arms, doors are shoulder pads, sides of the truck go on his back, etc. Unfortunatly, it reveals how much the robot warps the truck parts and messes with the proportions of them to make the cohesive robot design. The flames on Optimus's forearms are way to small if it was just the truck panel, especially when compared to the doors and windows on his chest

MM has a different design philosophy, accurate robot and alt mode, real parts and "logical" transformation be damned. (Same with Takara's MP44, more accurate robot but you'd never think that the sides of the truck ends up on his legs) So they can get away with as much cheatibg as possible if it makes for an accurate robot.

• Like Like x 9
  5. KingSnarl00

KingSnarl00 Well-Known Member

I remember stating this in some other thread that we needed a new Masterpiece Optimus with a new transformation scheme that doesn't follow the rotf leader class Optimus Prime transformation scheme. That's why I believe MPM-04 and BA Optimus prime can only go so far in terms of accuracy. And lo and behold, we get a new mp movie optimus prime that looks to have a different and unique transformation scheme.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wizardlizard714

Wizardlizard714 Lover of metal weirdos

Actually I wasn’t referring to gimmick, the neck has 2 hinges and then a third at the bottom to trigger the gimmick, it’s just that touching any of them nudges the hinge enough to trigger it anyway.

Now I’m remembering how annoying the thing was when it still had batteries

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Greenlock

Greenlock Connoisseur of movie accurate Optimus Primes

Yeah very true. I do remember them talking about wanting to use truck parts and I did find that cool, and I do still love that figure…

…but I’d say using whatever fake parts you have to to have the most accuracy in both modes is the approach I prefer, and the results really show here. Especially for a movie design where there’s so much size and shape bending at play anyways.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think the leader is AMAZING for what it is, a mainline leader class figure, maybe the best leader class ever made? You don't see those around anymore... :( 

But it's not a MP figure, MPM-4 is superior even if the design has flaws

• Like Like x 4
  9. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    iirc mpm-04 had an arm transformation that was accurate to the movie transformation in which his fists were under the hood right behind the front grill. so that’s a bonus for those that value transformation accuracy

• Like Like x 5
  10. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hahahahaha maybe. It takes a very long time. I'll see what I can do.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Also you won't break the back panels on mpm4 like the leader.:confused2 
    images - 2024-05-24T131134.898.jpeg images - 2024-05-24T131108.792.jpeg

I'd argue that not only posing mpm4 is better, TRANSFORMING him is much more enjoybale and arguably less risky than handling the leader.
    I wanted to make a dotm version but if that's the case i'd rather see yours, take your time!

• Like Like x 4
  12. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    No shattered glass or Nemesis repaint yet :( 

13. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Huh, never heard of that happening before. I’ve owned the Buster repaint since it came out and haven’t had any issues with mine.

Add me to the group that prefers the leader over MPM. The head on MPM is too small and set too far back, making his whole chest area even more bulky looking. The undersized headache rack in vehicle mode also looks very odd.

I suppose both molds have their merits, and IMO you can’t really say one is superior to the other. It’s all just about personal preference and which things are importantly to you.

• Like Like x 3
  14. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Constantly transformed mine, never had that happen. I'd suggest not tugging on those sections with the might of zeus. ;) 

• Like Like x 7
  15. Lkyle

Lkyle Well-Known Member

As someone who likes the leader way more than the mpm I might have something to add to this discussion.

Now both moulds have their issues no doubt, and both do things better than the other as well.

The reason I like the leader more is that it just ticks more boxes for me and does things in a way that's more visually pleasing to my eye for accuracy.

For example, the biggest issue I have with it is it's outright refusal to use faux parts. While I can respect wanting to use the real truck parts for every detail, that makes the doors tricky, because they either have to sit on his chest or his shoulders, so the old leader did the bottom half on the shoulder and the top half on the chest, with a faux smaller door panel to fold out below. The mpm scraps the faux panel, to no benefit? Just so say no faux parts? It's a weird choice to me.

And the worst part of engineering for me is that truck nose, having the front become the abdomen and the back become the forearms seems like a bad decision that was made just for the sake of having the real headlights in robot mode. At the cost of having accurate flame placement on the arms and abdomen, and the removal of the orange gradient, which is one of the biggest parts of that design. It annoys me most because the leader already had that worked out pretty well and you could easily replace it's faux abdomen parts with real parts of the truck nose, but I guess the headlights were more important.

And the truck, while the leader's truck isn't perfect (the hftd voyager is still the best) the mpm's truck is just so proportionately off to me that I couldn't justify replacing my APS-01 as the "mpm" optimus in my display.

And the APS-01U has way better paint & plastic colouring than the mpm that I just didn't see mpm-04 as a worthy "upgrade" as it seemed half-baked to me.

I don't have a problem with people loving mpm-04 way more than the "outdated" leader and its many variants, but that's because it's wide proportions, big back and more limited articulation don't bother me as much as it does for others. Whereas the half-done paint, refusal to use faux parts, smaller scale and the way the truck nose was engineered frustrates me way more than it does most other people.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to people wanting different things from their main trilogy Prime. Articulation, modern detailing and decent proportions? Mpm. Better scale, better paint (depending on the variant) and looks really good as a truck? Leader.

I think if hastak made a new mpm for 2007 or dotm's 20ths, (a long way away I know but that's my estimate) I reckon they'd be able to outperform the old leader in every way because they've come so far since mpm-04, but as it stands, I think the current mpm just misses the mark for a number of people, myself included.

• Like Like x 9
  16. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Very well put!

• Like Like x 3
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    I had that happen also to mine, same for the swords being broken off, 7 year old me was vary inspired by the violence in the films...

• Like Like x 1
  18. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Wild child!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Greenlock

Greenlock Connoisseur of movie accurate Optimus Primes

It’s funny that there’s still so much debate between molds after all this time.

I get it, each have strengths and flaws. But I think that’s why I really hope MM02 can become the definitive version. That’s what BA should’ve been, but the weird abs and head size dominated the conversation around that so heavily.

At this point it’s mostly up to paint job and QA. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Primal Suit

Primal Suit Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both MPM-4 and the ROTF leader, and I personally think the Leader is an all around better package. The MPM has better proportions, and smoother engineering, but it sacrifices alot. I think the biggest difference is how much they innovate; for the time, the ROTF Leader was revolutionary, an amazing upgrade over the 07 Leader, and it showed us that movie designs WERE possible to capture in toy form.
    My biggest issue with the MPM is with how much it compromises. No fake parts? Cool, now we're left with a disproportionate torso, incorrect flame detailing, and a terrible truck mode that doesn't even tab together well. But we added a cool matrix chamber for a design that doesn't need it, isn't that amazing? And don't get me started on the paint. Another big thing is the price, I got my Leader for about 60 CAD, while the MPM was literally 180 CAD, and for what? I just don't think the MPM did anything so well that it could be double the price of the Leader.
    I'm so glad the MPM series is better now, but honestly everything before Blackout had some issues that shouldn't have been there.

• Like Like x 6