Magnificent Mecha MM-02A (2007/ROTF) & MM-02B (DOTM) Optimus Prime (Masterpiece Scale)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, May 17, 2024.

1. MegaDeathPrime2001

MegaDeathPrime2001 Well-Known Member

IMG_2730.jpeg
    @Cheebs fan you please do the same thing you did here /\ down on this picture?\/ to both models? with the slight color variation that the DOTM has compared to the first two films?
    IMG_2722.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rakuen_Nox

Rakuen_Nox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He’s the main villain of movie 3, hasn’t got much attention aside from an upscale studio series and he’s a great design that adopts the knight aesthetic while still including actual vehicle kibble in a fun way (yay Pauldron cape).

Also he’s arguably the most complex villain of the live action franchise motivated by more than just get cube/destroy sun/collect knights/kill Unicron/summon decepticons/summon Unicron

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 15
  3. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    I considered the same thing, but between my ko dlx prime and the upcoming yolopark optimus, plus some stuff i wanna try with osko ss optimus and blue circus prime i decided against it

4. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I know a lot of people have this opinion, but I can't for the life of me understand why. MPM4 is much more posable, has way less kibble, has much better/more accurate details (yes even the headsculpt which isn't very good, is much better than the old leader), doesn't have annoying electronics (this is a YMMV situation as it's perfectly acceptable to like electronic gimmicks but they're not for me), has a better proportioned robot mode that's slimmer and more compact, and is just as fun/frustrating to transform as the older figure since it's mostly the same. I could be wrong but I think nostalgia and familiarity with the old mold are coloring some people's views. That or maybe some people just prefer the bigger, chunkier, toyetic aspecs?

Not trying to argue, but I just simply will never understand.
    OMG yes. This. It's just a name folks. A product line name. Doesn't mean "if it's not perfect and belongs in a museum then it's a complete failure". Calm down people.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    I would've been happy to ditch ROTF Leader Prime, but the MPM can't transform cleanly due to QC issues. I tried the Takara and same story.

6. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    It's a huge leap from past attempts at Optimus, but that's only because MPM was based on the RotF leader, and Black Apple was based on MPM. Our "best" first trilogy Optimus is based on a basic design that's 15 years old. If you look at the 3p live action Masterpiece scene these days, an Optimus this good doesn't seem like an impossibility. That's why so many people clamored for a new one, even after the Black Apple figure dropped. We all knew a better one was possible, based solely on all the incredible other 3p designs we've been getting the past few years

Both

Not really actually. Sentinel is much stockier, chunkier, and denser than Optimus is. Makes sense, considering he's barely taller but turns into a massive firetruck

1000039406.png

Faux part

Chest windows and doors are real parts, as well as all the wheels, the ankle fenders, and the gas tanks on the back. It's not "as many faux parts as possible," in fact I'd argue the opposite, it's as few faux parts as possible, in a physical object whose main call is visual accuracy

• Like Like x 12
  7. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I mean abs, shoulders, forearm panels, smokestacks, folded up fenders on the spine, headlights, are all faux parts while they were made from the actual vehicle parts on the MPM.

My point remains the same, two different goals, with the MPM’s designer expressly pointing out his goal was using as few faux parts as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MegaDeathPrime2001

MegaDeathPrime2001 Well-Known Member

agreed on every point

9. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been how long??
    EvE4IwBVcAcu0J9.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    while the smokestacks abs forearms and headlights are undoubtedly fake, i dont mind the arms as much because a) while they make up the nose in most scenes theres like 1 or two where they dont and b) they most likely sit under the nose anyways so its close enough. It would have been cool imop if they had a cutout in the shape of his arm gaurds in the nose, so that it could be real in both modes, but not touching the arm for transformation to keep the sculpt looks like smth they kept from mm01

As for the spine fenders, I’ve actually been rewatching his transformations and im starting to wonder where the notion of the red part on his back being his rear fenders came from. In most scenes the part disappears into his thighs or legs, so i think technically thats an inaccuracy weve been seeing woth the rotf, mpm and htfd i think

im super pro real parts, and it would have been cool to get the real headlights and shoulders but honestly they hit the perfect balance of real and faux parts imop, a size able chunk is still real

• Like Like x 4
  11. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The reason I prefer the leader is it does the design better. Even today the leader has the best truck mode. The improvements to the articulation isn't enough to make me forgive the inaccuracies of the MPM. Everything about the MPM is off: The accuracy, the fit and finish, and the transformation, all off.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    All those things are off on the leader too though, but worse, at least in robot mode. I understand the argument for truck mode, since the MPM had QC issues, but that's not necessarily the design of the toy, that's a production issue. For me a couple gaps in truck mode do suck, but are not worth having a robot mode that's way off from the movie model and lacking posability by comparison too. The MPM's posability is underrated: It can pull off most poses I'd want it to like kneeling, lunging, shooting, pointing etc, especially when compared to the leader, which most people have posed "just standing there" for a reason. Everything clashes with the kibble, the head can't even look up/down, the ankles barely tilt, no waist rotation! The arm weapons aren't removable on the main versions, etc.

Listen, I think the leader was a REMARKABLE achievement for its time. Look at how it's still the basis for a lot of Optimus transformations to this day! But that doesn't mean that other figures haven't surpassed it. I'm also glad for people who still enjoy the figure a lot, and I also agree that the MPM isn't the definitive Optimus figure, but I really do like it and I have had more fun with it than I had with the rotf leader in my time with it (disclaimer here that I had LT-02 for the same amount of time that I had the official, but also it broke on me when the official never did).

• Like Like x 6
  13. Wizardlizard714

Wizardlizard714 Lover of metal weirdos

I think I like the old leader more than mpm based on the forearms and ab things but I did find the leader annoying to transform because of those abs.

However the ba figure does get more things right than the leader so I’ve often wondered what a hollowed out leader torso with Black apple’s limbs would look like, in theory the hollow torso could store a decent amount of kibble and bring the shoulders further in, seems like the best of both worlds but who knows how it would actually turn out.

Also @Shmoptimus Prime the head definitely can look up and down, he’s just going to say “I am Optimus Prime” 38 times in the span of a minute

• Like Like x 4
  14. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    I like the chunk of the Leader in the torso/upper body, something about that adds to the overall look compared to MPM04 for me.

15. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Nothing wrong with dipping as many times as you can for a bot and/or color scheme either bud. ;)  I did that way back in the day with WJ and MPP10. I might still of course, but my space is getting limited. Also triple dipping means life is getting good for you, which I love.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    at this pace if Hasbro ever dares, their 2.0 will be relased 10 years later!

Keep in mind Mp01, MP10 and MP44 had a 8 year frame between each other.

17. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Thank you!!!

Yeah sure!!! Take liberties if you think those improve the appearance!

• Like Like x 1
  18. TF3D

TF3D Ld

News Credits:
    This company could do Sentinel Prime!

19. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't know what to tell ya. It's a difference in opinion. The production issue counts just as much as if it were a design issue... especially since it's not an isolated case. I wouldn't say MPM-4 can point. He has a separate trigger finger. I sold my MPM-4, but still have four versions of the leader. I would even say that many MPMs fit better with the leader than with MPM-4. It feels like MPM Ironhide, Ratchet and Bonecrusher were plucked from the '09 era leader class. Just with the sound and gimmick budget shifted towards better accuracy.
    Your points are just as valid as mine. I agree that there's no definitive Optimus figure. This one looks to be the new king of the mountain.

• Like Like x 2
  20. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    BA Prime would've been much better if Leader was used as the base.

• Like Like x 4