Magnificent Mecha MM-02A (2007/ROTF) & MM-02B (DOTM) Optimus Prime (Masterpiece Scale)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, May 17, 2024.

1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Dunking on the MPM line to say how good 3P stuff is is not only lazy but also an argument that gets less and less relevant. As others have said, not only have the MPMs been getting better and better, but they have sooo many restrictions and distribution issues to overcome that 3P can just ignore. I’d win every basketball game I ever played if I didn’t have to follow the rules.

• Like Like x 27
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Thanks, I'm quite flattered :D 

I grew up on such dumb memes that gifs and memes as reactions are basically ingrained into system :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  3. Magnus7412

Magnus7412 Well-Known Member

On the subject of the official mpm and the 3P mpm, I think the following, Hasbro and Takara came from a better design than their own ss lines, using the mpm surname, but not really being faithful to the released character. When 3P companies embarked on this mpm niche (for me, it started with Lockdown UT), and with each release it got better and that is until today, hasbro had to take a certain attitude and improve its designs, but without affecting its budget too much. and trademark rights and so many other bureaucracies...
    Now, everything changed sideways when Hasbro/Takara released mpm Bonercrusher, it really came off the screen in toy form, it managed to pass the company's 3P Dream Factory version, it was much better, for me, it was perfect. I don't think any company would think about making another version because it was very faithful to the character. Mpm Brawl will be the same thing and I believe that the next mpms will also be better than their predecessors. 3P companies are making mpms that are not yet available in the official version and making better versions of those that have already been officially launched but are not as good (for example, this mm02 Optimus Dotm/Rotf).

• Like Like x 5
  4. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I entered this thread on pg 34 ;) 
    Will be amusing/enjoyable to speculate on how much DLC there will be and what the price points will be. I think I'll be single dipping though. Either that or start trying to sell online and try to get off most of my 52toys stuff...etc, other random shenanigans I keep buying, hehehehehe.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Yes agreed

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ROTF leader is one of the best leader-class figures (if not the very best) that Hasbro ever made, and a way more successful figure than MPM-4 in my opinion. It's certainly way more fun to transform, and looks awesome in both modes. I sold my MPM-4 not long after getting it, but I still have ROTF Prime all these years later, which tells you all you need to know.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this new MP take on the design, with a new transformation scheme and engineering. :) 
    My collection won't be complete till it includes a proper Masterpiece Evil Fire Truck Leonard Nimoy. :D 

• Like Like x 10
  7. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I would also like to add that people take too seriously the MP name, "masterpiece movie" was initially just the way Takara released the two leaders from HfTd anyway.

Comparison of turnarounds:
    movie-mp-prime-ko-360.gif Magnificent-Mecha-Bay-Prime.gif

• Like Like x 22
  8. MegaDeathPrime2001

MegaDeathPrime2001 Well-Known Member

really infinitely better wow

• Like Like x 7
  9. BIOMEC

News Credits:
    I have my Movie the Best mint in package, it is a masterpiece of its era and a testament of what Hasbro could do with mainline budget at that time...

• Like Like x 8
  10. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    wonder if I should get rid of my BA Prime for this... this looks insanely good

11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    do-it-palpatine.gif

• Like Like x 2
  12. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    You can't really compare them just because they're both "masterpiece style." Would you compare UT Desperado to an OSKO of the SS DotM Megatron? Both are "masterpiece style" and scale, but the price is vastly different, which is the main difference. Figures should be compared based both on style and price bracket

Edited them the same direction and speed for easier comparison

1000039385.gif 1000039379.gif

Watching these together, the skinny legs and small head really killed the BA proportions, makes him look super chunky and top heavy. I'm so glad this new one is doing more with the lower legs to get them accurately chunky, and the right sized head is a nice touch too

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 24
  13. MV Steve

MV Steve Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    1000006757.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. HappyCryCat

HappyCryCat Well-Known Member

If you're willing to eat the loss I would say sure.

But if not it wouldn't be too bad keeping BA in truck mode, as I think BA's truck mode might be better than MM's. The nittiest nitpick would be the MM's missing space in the front of the truck where the Autobot insignia would be.

• Like Like x 6
  15. BIOMEC

News Credits:
    How can a KO of a mainline figure be considered "masterpiece style"?

The MPM line and the 3P MPs are in the same category, but one is usually worse and cheaper than the other. I can compare a KO of a mainline figure with Desperado, but that wouldn't be fair, the MP outclass the KO.

By that logic we can't compare Fanstoys' MP with Takara G1 MPs because there is a price difference.

16. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    Honestly... yea - owning BA prime seems like owning a piece of history in a weird way... not sure where I'd put him if I got this though

• Like Like x 4
  17. Lockon Prime

Lockon Prime Get a eye full of lid when I slight ur lights out

Looks like this one’s mistransformed, as the butt part is too high up his lower back.
    I’d say keep ur BA Prime. I’m personally planning on selling one, and keeping the other one in alt mode.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I get this, my BA Prime is going into truck mode. It's a glorious truck with that gorgeous chrome and beautiful paint job and I almost hate displaying him in bot mode because of it

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  19. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    Makes sense to me, Even if they target the same segment, one being half the price is def a factor that cant be ignored. Yes a camry might be slower than a Ferrari, but that's usually because of the massive price difference. Cant really compare the two

• Like Like x 1
  20. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 are you compensating for something, talking down?

News Credits:
    the virgin fast spinnin' Black Apple (moving faster so you can't catch its inaccuracies) vs the CHAD rotating normally Magnificent Mecha (nothing to hide) /s

• Like Like x 3