Magnificent Mecha MM-02A (2007/ROTF) & MM-02B (DOTM) Optimus Prime (Masterpiece Scale)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, May 17, 2024.

1. oprime376

oprime376 Well-Known Member

I think it's best they follow the colors of the truck which appears outside of the movie. Bcs color grading in both movies are different especially in dotm where the saturation is high making the colors appear more bright and vibrant. And I hope they don't give us that aat 2.0 prime paintjob and better give us chrome visors, tanks and grills for their price tag

• Like Like x 7
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’m actually very curious about the paint job, I wonder if they even can do chrome. Some 3p and KO companies either can’t or won’t do chrome at all. Very curious if these guys will.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MegaDeathPrime2001

MegaDeathPrime2001 Well-Known Member

if MM-01 is anything to go off, they can do these metallic colors for sure IMG_2747.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  4. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'd be okay with just a nice shiny silver rather than chrome. Chrome paint is way too easy to smudge and get dirty, and tends to be easier to chip and scratch than regular silver paint. It also ends up looking kinda gaudy to me because you can almost always tell it's just reflective paint, rather than the smooth mirrored metal it's supposed to represent

That kind of silver off his thighs, minus the "rust" in the edges, is what I would like to see on the alt mode

• Like Like x 1
  5. Primal Suit

Primal Suit Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Although using Truck Colours makes the most sense, I honestly just really like the blue of DOTM. If they're making two separate releases just for different abs and forearms covers, I don't think asking them to be different colors is stupid, it just distinguishes the two releases even further.

To bring it back to reality, I don't see MM would wasting their budget by making the same design have different blues. But I'm curious, which blue do people prefer for Prime? 1000014374.jpg 1000014375.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    The darker one seems more accurate to me. The light blues seen in DOTM has to do more with color grading for those particular shots. The darker color is also closer to the OG toy, so I'm more biased towards it. The lighter blue could look a bit worse depending on lighting too.

I guess it also depends on how well they do the gunmetal tones for the figure, if it's too dark then the darker colors will make the figure dull. But paired with the lighter colors it can still pop. Like the ThreeZero figure you posted, the gunmetal is a bit darker so he looks a bit lifeless.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Primal Suit

Primal Suit Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Almost every shot of Prime in DOTM that I remember uses the lighter Blue, I don't think it was a scene-by-scene thing, it seemed to be a conscious decision to make his Blue lighter throughout this movie. In fact, the old ThreeA figure actually used the lighter Blue. I'm pretty sure that the the darker blue design was only used in promo material for DOTM.
    I'm not really a photographer so I don't know how lights would affect color perception, but my Threezero Prime looks way too purple both in person and through my phone and I'm just hoping that's not the color MM choose go with for the DOTM release.

8. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

The best solution would be to have a pearlescent finish with both shades :p 

9. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    Oh yeah for sure. I was only talking about the tone of the blue, but yeah it does have a bit more purple than it should. Even in the '07 movie there was only a hint of purple in the blue color.

10. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Definitely the top one.

11. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    depends on ur metric, the ss had more sccurate sculpting

first one looks more accurate but i like the second one

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Here's 2006 concept art of the head for clarity, apologies if it's already been posted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  13. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    I mean, in a sense, it is. The robot sculpt and proportions are dead on to the movie, and the alt mode is a perfect recreation of the movie Lambo. He's just got an awful backpack as the price of being a deluxe

I still think SS Lockdown should have been Voyager price and Deluxe sized, for extra engineering, and then some good accessories (sword, hook, headgun, rockets) à la SS86 Hot Rod

In fact, SS86 Hot Rod is actually a pretty good direct comparison, him and Lockdown both turning into similarly shaped sleek alt modes, and slim athletic bot modes with minimal car kibble

• Like Like x 2
  14. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    And that's about it for the robot mode, everything else sucks. But it's a mainline figure, so I don't expect too much...

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm not sure what you mean. That optimus does have a yellow gradient on his arms and ankles.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    I'd want an accurate 07 Megatron because the Studio Series has the boxy legs and the MPM has the backpack.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 are you compensating for something, talking down?

News Credits:
    could you please point to specific references/images you draw from as inspiration for your digibashes?

I know color is subjective, but the yellow in your pic reminds me of the production MPM-4 and Black Apple coloring which felt too bright cheese yellow.
    my-first-movie-masterpiece-black-apple-optimus-prime-v0-jvp5gs16mvbc1.jpg

I think the Takara paint master handled that color on the front truck arches the best (more of an orange/gold tint), but of course the figure engineering didn't allow for that color to carry into the front nose section and the production version strayed away from this accuracy
    tkt89185_4.jpg

I fully admit I am nitpicky and worried that this Optimus Prime figure won't meet personal color accuracy expectations

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Willocrew

Willocrew Well-Known Member

I already own the black apple but still really looking forward to this. Black apple will go into permanent truck mode.

I hope they take all the time they need to iron out all articulation engineering before going into mass production.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Septimus-Prime

Septimus-Prime Well-Known Member

Wish they did this years ago....

20. Eddielai2016

Eddielai2016 Well-Known Member

I have mm01 and its brilliant. I hope this guy would be nicely painted with his flame and be as awesome looking as mm01. Cant wait to get him in. It be nice to have an updated movie masterpiece optimus and possibly a better megatron

• Like Like x 1