Magic Square Toys Legends Optimus Prime 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ShylockZeuss, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that when we say "fake/faux chest" we mean the fact that the component that forms his chest is supposed to be the same as the vehicle windows, and it's not. This isn't even a part you have to fake--you can absolutely make the chest windows be the same as the truck, and he'd look stellar if you did it right. Speaking to the faux grill, I hate the fact they keep doing it. Magic Square's original attempt finally circumvented this, and all they needed to do really was square off the windows instead of making them so rectangular (but they were going for that G1 toy truck look, so I get it).

The fact that it's not that uncommon makes it worse. A lot of us are tired of them cheating by using fake parts, acting like it's the only way to do it. Magic Square originally proved the real grill works, and TE proved that squared windows work fine in both modes, and look very much accurate. So when we keep going back to that, there are a lot of us that don't like it. It's not like Sunstreaker, where his chest is so tiny there's no way you could get a lambo car roof and windshield that would work (although, I still hate it).

Sometimes, we just have to put up with it if it's something small. But when it's a major identifiable part like those chest windows, it's a huge deal. For the "who cares how it gets there, so long as it looks good" crowd, we see it as if it has to cheat THAT big, it never really gets there. That's great if it doesn't bother you. But that's where we're coming from. Some of us just aren't so latched onto hyper-toon accuracy to the point that you have to fake it to make it.

Again, though--if they made something that was reversable, where you and I could choose which windows we wanted for his chest, that would be the ultimate way to do it. Everyone would be happy. People could have their hyper-toon accurate chest, or their more realistic true-windows chest. I look back to MP Grapple and Inferno with their removable grill/headlights. Choosing between chromed 'toy' look and gray 'cartoon' look. And you can swap for either mode, or leave them in for either mode. I really wish we'd think more along those lines.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it really bothered them financially they would have already gone after them we've already gotten 3 versions of the MP-44 KO and several reissues/repaints of the two toon 3P Primes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far the only KO company that has made Transformers KO's to be raided was WJ because they were trying to KO a Disney property. Of course no one would like KO's or 3rd Party versions of their properties, but unless they start to really hurt or threaten their sales they won't bother cause it wouldn't be worth it. That's why Zeta's Unicron has been really the only thing they've gone after, and even then they couldn't give two shits about it after the Haslab fundraising ended.

• Like Like x 5
  3. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes but why exactly?

4. God Orion

Ebay:
    To be fair the three MP-44 KOs are from the exact same company. For the rest, I really hope you are right. And I hope that they will upscale this even more so we can get a perfect "kind of MP-44"!

5. God Orion

Ebay:
    This figure looks like an improved version of MP-44 much like Wei Jiang used to do with their OS figures

6. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I hope the windows are reversible so that the actual windows can be used in robot mode. That’ll be the deciding factor for me as the rest of the figure looks great.

I wish we could move away from G1 prime soon, though, these legends companies have done him to death.

give us a legends g2 laser prime, or any of the numerous other prime designs we’ve had over the years, please.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why it would be different, unless HasTak has suddenly decided to become much more aggressive against 3rd party last night, especially when it's comparing an MP to this guy in Legends scale, something HasTak isn't exactly losing any money in.

Now if it was a company like, say, Disney, than there would be more worry, but not with this.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But how will you know which version is the last version? They were all done with v1 until they just kinda' did another metallic version a few months back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ManelFigures

ManelFigures You can't hear the bass, but you can feel it.

Instagram:
    Simple, when the rumours of a 3.0 version appears. Or if the figure is on the market about two or three years, that's the usual life cycle of a mold.

10. TheTornSideswipeFan

TheTornSideswipeFan Well-Known Member

Honestly the problem is that for me and whoever decides to agree with me on this, personally, I can't just accept that certain parts have to be sacrificed for the transformation. I know that the way that these guys transformed in the Sunbow Cartoon was so clearly relying on stretching and stuff that properly doing it with a show as inconsistent in animation as it would truly be impossible, but the attempt to replicate that is welcome, like the attempt to make it feel like these guys mass shift. Yeah, there are ways that through many third party companies, we have seen what could easily be perfected parts without compromises. However, no company truly has seemed to manage to find the best of each parts of the figures to allow for this ideal figure to exist in such a way. I know personally that if the figure looks fine and doesn't do the "cardinal sins" or partsforming or faux pieces, that's a plus for me, but then if it's there is a case of something like faux-parts existing for helping my intended look, then I'm honestly fine (It's why I'd do something like painting Earthrise Optimus' rear calves blue to feel more close to toon, or how I painted Siege Optimus' legs to be blue to match both the animation model and the actual G1 Toy).

I've seen people also throw in the "Hyper toon people should just have a non-transforming figure to dedicate pure accuracy" claim thrown in, as well, so maybe that could be helpful. It's just that with figures like RED Optimus with a slew of issues, it feels like the idea is such an afterthought that they don't want to make them both accurate and good, so when the transforming companies get this done right for us, we're glad. We know that you'd prefer realistic parts and parts staying the same throughout to avoid all aspects of cheating to maintain the puzzle mentality of Transformers toys, but then it's a case of both sides honestly being starved of what would work for both and the only thing we're getting is compromises with figures such as this that scratch the itch for one and don't for the others.

I do agree that one day a company or even HasTak themselves should be able to make such a Prime or any Transformers figure that should we want to, we can omit certain parts to leave the figure done just the way we want it, though. We've just yet to see a Third Party Company or toy designer with THAT much hindsight.

11. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    And then a modified reissue of the original release.

24DA25ED-D9CE-4627-93C1-69307EB28E1B.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. God Orion

Ebay:
    Can you explain why it's so important for you to have these windows in not mode?
    I guess you're right! What you say makes sense. But this looks so close to MP-44 that it worried me.
    Why would you buy the first and last version of that mold? What would it change?

13. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Funny thing, I got into collecting legends figures, because of RED. I wanted small size transformers figures, which looked like their toon counterparts. I stumbled upon the RED, but it didn't hit the spot for me. I didn't mind the RED weren't transformable, but I thought the looks just weren't up to par for a non transformable figure. After that I learned about the legends scale 3p transformers and the first one I allmost pulled the trigger on was NA Jazz, but because at that time, the original color way was not available anymore, I moved on and found out about MS Prime, ms-b18x+. I fell in love with the figure and instantly bought him. The rest is history, I went down the legends scale rabbit hole and now I own allmost every MS released figure, minus some extra color/metallic decos ( anyone have a MS Stereo Master up for sale? ;)  ).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    Because I like to have bot form and vehicle form. First release is the "genuine", last release usually be the "improved", but this is not an universal true.

15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Why is it wrong for me to want the robot mode to use the actual vehicle mode windows?

• Like Like x 5
  16. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    The real question is .. Why a God is making so many questions? A God must know everything!. :lol 

17. Cecilia

Cecilia Mechanical Princess

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh wait... If they make it possible to go in robot mode with the actual truck windows, this becomes interesting :3 Again the same would be cool for the leg wheels, if they make it so they can be in or out (but is one is very unlikely).

As for MP10 - while in terms of technology it is outdated - and even so you agree that it is a better figure in technical aspects - it still has a more modern and mechanical look, anything more cartoon accurate will, by intention be more outdated in design being that it is aimed to represent an old cartoon.

So in essence the only plus mp44 might have on mp10 is cartoon accuracy with is toptally subjecve and and possibly the reson why despite the current technology it ends up flawed as the cartoon model was not meant to transform and it is a bigger challenge :3

Now I admire the capability of those companies to take on the challenge, yet, subjectively, to me it would look better in a more modern and realistic fashion like mp10, and it would make transformation cleaner and the overall development easier.

But then, I am quite technical and I collect other things mecha like Gundam etc along with legends TF... and I love IDW comics way more than G1.

• Like Like x 3
  18. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This looks lovely

19. Cecilia

Cecilia Mechanical Princess

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The reason to care about where parts come from is the imagination... like I don´t watch animations with giant robots for just what is shown in there, I like to imagine how it would work in real life... in fact I'd love to see more stuff like alternators, but with modern technology... you know, the vehicle insides, mechanisms and engines and how those fold, slipt and compress for the transformation... aaaah machines <3

Sadly the original cartoon mostly transformed characters as if they were made of jelly instead of something more mechanical like we in transformers prime or the bumblebee movie. Yet I do like the base designs and concept for the G1 characters.

But yeah, variety is not out there as far as Earth mode legends Prime's go and I am not placing my hopes on Iron Factory making a new Prime, but I would solve all my problems xD

• Like Like x 2
  20. realwhz

realwhz Well-Known Member

The 2.0 design looks awesome! Given the physical size limit, I believe the transformation won't be too complicated, which is a good sign for me.

• Like Like x 6