Magic Square Toys Legends Size Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megawillbot, Oct 10, 2019.

1. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First X orders only (500 is ringing a bell, but I'm not sure). And that could easily have gone to just a handful of retailers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's a real tight fit.

I only have SB but to get it to fit I stick one side in, and then as I press in the opposite side I apply pressure to that side of the cube in between its top and bottom walls with my thumb while holding the first side I stuck in with my fingers. That kind of bows the sidewall of the cube, giving you just enough clearance to click it into position.

It's probably an easy way to mess up the paint trim on the tape door though.
    MS-B27 Cassette Tape(s) by Lockdowns_Trophy_Case on Shapeways
    CSA01.png CSB04.png
    Come get your tapes, and pack Soundwave with your greatest hits!

• Like Like x 15
  3. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RedEG6

RedEG6 Well-Known Member

that was quick. say, can you customise that cassette to have a faux label? something like:

MOTLEY CRUE
    Too Fast For Love

LION
    Dangerous Attraction

etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lilcarus

News Credits:
    should be able to make it say anything on a printer these days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I'll give it a shot, but I don't know if there's going to be enough space for the text to be large enough to read.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

DX9 is definitely a lot more fun to play with. Definitely whelmed by this release to be honest.

The tapes are awesome though. Would definitely buy more minions and I would be a sucker for repaints.

I definitely like the word definitely.

• Like Like x 4
  8. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Soundblaster arrived yesterday and Soundwave today.

Luckily, all of my parts, pins, and accessories are there. Also, luckily joint tightness is the same between both figures, though on the weak side. MST really needs to get tighter and more consistent joints going on. I may have lucked out on this pair, but I really got some loosey goosey joints on my Seekers.

I was a big fan of DX9's Soundwave, and I feel like this is a great upgrade to that already good figure. He just looks so menacing and imposing in his robot mode, and that really captures the impression I had of him as a kid. Soundwave was always kind of scary in the sense that he wasn't emotional, didn't display much or any personality, and was just cold, calculating, and indifferent as he carried out his orders.

I still can't believe Frenzy and Rumble's noses are off center, though. That's going to be a tough one to fix.

I got transfer sheets with each figure. Anyone want one of them? I probably won't use either, but definitely wouldn't use both.

• Like Like x 8
  9. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really am curious how the noses are made. Heh, to me, it almost seems like maybe they used a syringe and just squeezed a tiny little dollop of hot plastic on the face and let it dry. After all, the head seems just way too small to make an actual face mold. So if that is the case, I wonder if the nose placement is random within a few micrometers, so there are folks out there with a nose actually in the center of the face. Or if whatever device they used to make the nose is just off and if they could just adjust it it would make properly centered noses. But its just too much effort for them since its really hard to see the jacked up nose unless you use a magnifying glass or zoom in with a camera so they don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lilcarus

News Credits:
    i really feel like these SW's and the seekers were just rushed out to compete with NA and to help battle the rona shutdown. i have no complaints especially with MS getting bots out sooner than later. but they do feel hella rush to me.

• Like Like x 3
  11. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    The head is definitely injection moulded. You can see the mould seams around the side of the head, and the injection point on the back of the head. Either it was such a small production error of the dies that they didn't think it was worth the expense to correct, or possibly it's an issue with material shrinkage during cooling, or not enough material being injected into the mould.

I don't think MST would have missed the nose being off center in their design files. It's almost certainly a production flaw.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I looked at it and it wouldn't be too hard to 3d print a new head, but the problem is the strength of 3d printed materials. The neck would snap before you could even get it into the figure, to say nothing of trying to pose it once it's installed.

• Like Like x 3
  13. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yep. I think their heads are actually smaller than the ones I did, but that long neck post is probably the big issue. I think you could seat a replacement in the socket alright, but putting leverage on the neck for movement is just going to lead to breakage.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    i'd be interested in a sheet if still available. lmk thx! ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my Soundblaster, damn he's a cool little figure. Legends are like the crack, you try it and then you just gotta have more for no good reason.

• Like Like x 8
  16. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    he ain't THAT little! at least not compared to DX9/PT... LoL

i don't get why MS didn't use a round peg on the shoulder cannon like DX9??? that way you can actually rotate and aim it to different angles on the shoulder! :rolleyes: 

IMG_20200708_180151-01.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  17. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a proper way to get Laserbeak in the chest? Like a direction it should be facing? Also how far does the chest door open, I don’t wanna break it off but it doesn’t seem to open much.

This little Laserbeak is kind of amazing for how small it is, and the paint on this tiny nub of a Soundwave head is 200% nicer than the paint on my MP-13 Soundwave.

• Like Like x 2
  18. lilcarus

News Credits:
    the chest door will go to a full 90° pretty easily. maybe more but i dont remember. but it should be really easy to get the birds in.

• Like Like x 2
  19. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my Soundwave and cassettes today. Soundwave's left was sheared off at the hip. Pretty disappointing.
    Cassettes are neat though. I have my DX9 Soundwave and cassettes out and it is a crazy difference. It has only been a few years and innovations are amazing. Especially since the larger Hot Soldier cassettes almost same level of articulation as the the DX9 ones.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    I’m not so sure of that. It felt more like 60 degrees was the its limit when I was last fiddling with it.

And...

There is a very good reason:
    They’re slagging adorable! :p 

• Like Like x 3