Magic Square Toys Legends Size Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megawillbot, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't have bought Soundblaster then, and I suspect a lot of other people wouldn't have either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I still don't think I'm getting Soundblaster. I just don't want to pay $40 for Laserbeak which is what I'd be doing.

I think I'm just sitting that figure out. Seeing that MFT may be KO'ing this anyway, I can go for that one. The tapes will be bigger but (sacrilege I know) I really don't care if the cassettes fit inside Soundwave or not. I've got MST's Soundwave ordered. I want that. I wanted the cassettes but not enough to jump through their hoops. Maybe it works out for them in the end and I'm the rare consumer who decides to skip Soundblaster. I wish them success because I want more of their figures. But there are too many figures I want besides this one to chuck money at it.

Mark

• Like Like x 3
  3. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

This. And while those are kinda obscure characters, they could also just market it as the Micro-Change colors + Wingthing. But yeah, this provides a nice parity if they did market a second tape set (which given the number of recolors MST comes out with, is a definite possibility) The cynical (and most likely true) point of view is yeah, they did it to maximize sales. I was going to get all three sets anyways, so it makes no difference to me. I guess the real sticking point is people not wanting to buy Soundblaster? Like they were never going to package Soundwave with just Laserbeak and Ravage, they want people to at least buy the tape set.

That would be the most logical way to package them, though doesn't MST traditionally package their stuff in bot mode? There's also the accessories though, perhaps they put toon Rumble with Soundwave because his box could accommodate the pile drivers. All the test shots only show piledrivers on one of the Frumble figures. So maybe packaging Rumble with Soundwave let them keep the box smaller because Frenzy comes with no piledrivers.

Also, I can't tell if the tapes are all in one, or if the weapons are separate, but while they could've molded 4 tape slots, maybe they also have molding in the packaging for specific weapons rather than being in a baggie in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Frenzy and Rumble have separate weapons, all of the others are part of the cassettes.

5. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

I’m a bit underwhelmed w/ Rumble’s tape mode
    Especially when Laserbeak’s, Buzzsaw’s, and Autoscout’s are better and resemble cassettes

• Like Like x 1
  6. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

I'm getting Soundblaster and I'll be putting Laserbeak up for sale. And most likely I'll be doing the same with the other main characters from the tape pack (edit: please see info under my avatar, I'm in Europe).

btw: my first MS/NA figure. I was able to withheld all this time, but sooner or later they get to you.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  7. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    I know Soundblaster was never a thing in the US, but other countries did get the pleasure of additional seasons of the G1 toon. It may seem like a cash grab to us because we weren't treated to the reincarnation of Soundwave, but we aren't the only market for TFs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FredVIII

FredVIII human germ!

News Credits:
    Yes, I don't think that was ever in dispute.

9. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh right, cheers for clarifying. The whole thing is made more frustrating for me because I have the DX9 soundwave who is great and has ravage lazerbeak and ratbat. The MS is a bit better, and the tapes are basically an objective improvement, but the price + complexities of the tapes means that upgrading in the first place now feels less worthwhile. Part of me just wanted the frenzy and rumble as desk toys but that cant happen. I dunno. ramble ramble ramble

Also sorry if this feels directed at you, it absolutely isn't, just directionless venting over a minor inconvenience lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Fair point, I hadn't really considered the accessories and those pile drivers may require a special slot.

If it were my company Id just use a vac form tray for the tapes and put the accessories in a baggie underneath the tray but who knows what their plan is.

11. Blazing Mewtwo

I want Frenzy to have pile drivers too

12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    No worries ;) 

13. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Nuisance

I feel that versions like Soundblaster/Nemesis Prime should be different from the originals- If Newage releases a Soundblaster, then I'd rather pair that with MST Soundwave over Magic Square Soundblaster.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Nuisance

Which raises the question: Are the MST/NA tapes cross-compatible?

15. Blazing Mewtwo

Oooh
    I wonder the same thing
    I hope so:p 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

NA uses a smaller scale than MST, doesn't it? Given that, I would assume that NA tapes will be a bit smaller than MST's. If so, they will fit in MST's Soundwave (though would be loose), but MST's wouldn't fit in NA's.

All speculation, of course.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Just a thought about MS splitting up the tapes, ostensibly to get more sales: have there ever been MS products/repaints that haven’t sold out eventually? Seems like an odd choice to make if sales haven’t been an issue. Are the seekers the less well received thus far? Still bet they sell out in a few months.

as far as I know, almost every Legend figure by anybody.. dx9, MS, NA, IF even MFT, sells out. It’s a hot market.

18. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only checked 1 site (TCP), but around 75% of Magic Square's releases are still available. Almost half of the ones not available are Optimus repaints.

19. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

i think only the MS primes sell well. but even then they could just have low production runs to begin with.

20. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Almost certainly not. Newage's will be smaller.