Magic Square Toys Legends Size Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megawillbot, Oct 10, 2019.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Lovingly referred to as "Magic Square Mange" among enthusiasts.

Actually, it's not. I just made it up, but I'm tired of seeing it as a continual issue with their figures.

• Like Like x 3
  2. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

I stumbled on one MS tape team pre-order listing on TaoBao.

The four tapes are: Frenzy *, Ratbat, Buzzsaw and Ravage.

MSRP in China is 168 yuan ($24).

* I don't know if it's the blue or red tape, though. :D 

Does this mean Rumble comes with Voice Ripple and we really have to buy Sound Wall for Laserbeak?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welp, that'll be a tempting set... so that leaves the two tapes coming with Soundwave as Rumble and... what, the weird roller/drone one that I can't even remember the name of?

Still thinking of waiting for an eventual re-release of Soundwave with more tapes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Nuisance

Not as much on their Smokescreen

5. Megawillbot

Huh, I'd always thought it was just wear

6. Meekutron

Meekutron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you meant the other brother, Streak

7. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Autoscout, I learned it when KFC did the thing a few years ago and I've remembered it just because it seemed odd for a Decepticon drone to start with "Auto" to me. The reasoning is obvious, but with the factions as they are.

Autoscout - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  8. Megawillbot

probably

they're all Optimus Prime to me

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

It's not the place to talk about it I know, but mentioning Bluestreak made me think that maybe MS is still thinking of a three pack with Prowl, Smokescreen and the blue Bluestreak. It would explain the long wait for the next Datsuns, and the precedent being set by the Seekers.

10. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

the complaints about this having a gappy back in alt vs megs having no back in bot are too different beast.

one is only a small issue at best with SW. the other has no way around it because megs has no back. it clearly shows in any pose except from the front.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Testicules Prime

Testicules Prime Well-Known Member

Showing as in stock on showZ, hopefully they start showing up stateside in a week or so :drool: 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weird. I got a payment request for the coneheads but not this guy. Went ahead and paid him anyway.

13. TFFan77

TFFan77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a payment request for Soundblaster... Can't wait to get it in hand

14. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but I checked the Masterpiece Appreciation thread (first pic heavy thread I got to) and in the last 6 pages I saw one back pose and three top poses where it would show. It is a concern if you want the flexibility but practically for me and most of the recent photos in that thread it's not an issue. Blaster and Soundwave are just as bad from the back in alt mode, but even less people look at the backs of their tape players.

15. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand. How is it a small issue? There is no way around it, because Soundwall in tape deck mode has no back. It clearly shows in any pose except from the front.

16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Same. I thought I had PO'd him, but I guess I didn't.
    I'm with you. I think they could have handled that better. I feel like the DX9 version does a better job, but it also leaves the hands exposed. At least MS cleaned up the side profile more and it really is only noticable from the rear. Kind of reminds me of old floor radios in that sense, with the rears wide open.

17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a small issue because most people will be displaying their figures in bot mode 95% of the time or more. Any action poses or scenes that might require viewing the figure from the back are almost certainly going to be robot mode. So if one of the modes has to suffer from the back, then alt mode is the one to do it. Besides, I don't think any Soundwave has ever really looked great from the back (might have to go transform my G1 and check though).

Oh. Just realized the preorder I paid off was for Soundwave. Hmm.. where did I pre-order Soundblaster?

• Like Like x 2
  18. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN Well-Known Member

i can understand bot mode, but are ppl really posing this figure in alt mode showing the back of a tape deck??? :confused: 

• Like Like x 6
  19. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

Oh, I see what you mean.

To be honest, every time I've seen people show off their dope collection cases, the bots are always face-on, maybe angled a little so you can see the side. I don't remember ever seeing one that's showcasing the back of a figure, although I suppose some extremely dynamic poses where a character is crouched really low and bent forward or something might leave enough back visible. I suppose I'm OK with backs being a little compromised. I think on the whole, I'm willing to accept a slightly larger backpack if it allows for an alt mode that doesn't have visible robot arms hanging off the back.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Magic Square didn't put in anything to hide them better - it seemed to me like they could have fit in some panels to cover the alt-mode back gaps, and then fold those panels up on the back/arms/legs in robot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Charlock

Charlock Well-Honed Blender

I don't know. It may just be me, but if I can avoid having a bunch of folded over panels in bot mode and sacrifice the almost-never-seen back of the alt mode, that's the way I am always going to lean. It's obviously left up to personal preference, but my camp is the one with the fantastic looking bot.

• Like Like x 3