Magic Square Toys Legends Scale Prowl, Smokescreen, and Bluestreak

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NOCV, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmn. Prefer NewAges alt mode by a long way and the height of MS bot mode doesn’t work for me.
    But there is definitely something very nice about this bot mode design. Seems taller, slimmer and less clunky. The NA Datsun botmode is more akin to the old, fat MP design, while MS has managed to make something more sleek. I guess the added cm or two they have in height allowed them to space things out a bit better. This is a really nice bot mode but unfortunately I can’t fit it into my collection.
    But I would definitely be keen for someone to pull off that sleeker, more dynamic look with a 3rd Party Datsun Masterpiece design.

2. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

So are these still gonna be in a 3 pack?

3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Transformers: Mememaster

News Credits:
    According to this person's Weibo (where these current pics were first posted) they'll be sold separately. It's mentioned in the comments.

Sina Visitor System

• Like Like x 3
  4. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

Newage seems to be using the scale they have on tfwiki Official sizes and heights - Transformers Wiki
    While Magic Square is closer to the Sunbow chart The *Definitive* Sunbow Scale Chart

Tfwiki scale feels better to me, but they don't appear to have any sources for the heights

Magic Square's plastic is super strong, they use some sort of nylon iirc? Anyway, the tiny hinges would most definitely break if they switched to an inflexible, conventional plastic.

I don't like the flash from the moulding process being visible, but I'm that'll be fixed eventually, and in the meantime, it's not too hard to chip it off by myself. I would like some stronger dye and cleaner paint apps too

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
  5. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Still watching it but this Youku video shows the new MST Bluestreak. Mixed feelings...

hopefully this link will take you there.

小比例的掌上MP,变形金刚魔方MS霹雳

Screenshot
    :
    1E60CB34-A0A9-4412-B2FB-2BB764A77944.jpeg

mind blowing that basically the same size car is such a bigger bot for MST. NA is still too squat for me but MST hits some sour notes as well. Look at those tiny little headlights. Even in bot mode those feel off to me. And the glossy hood feels off to me compared to their other figures. Probably still my preference overall but could be much better.

one more screenshot

31BCE713-C652-417D-B2DB-F711C2C81571.jpeg

Mainly took that screenshot for the glossy hood and the face details. Now I can only look at the non-recessed headlights... at least that's how it looks...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Agreed. I collect both, but I prefer to handle Magic Square. The plastic they use has never developed stress marks, no matter how ham-handed I am with the figure; as opposed to my New Age figs. On top of which, I find that the tolerances of joints and tabs is FAR more consistent with Magic Square figures, whereas my New Age figs have some tabs and joints that are almost impossibly tight and others very loose. I love both companies, but I view Magic Square figs as being more for handling and New Age more for display.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Tismark

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    More or less the same feelings.

9. Phase Sixer

Phase Sixer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, I think the tolerances are pretty good for both companies, but each has a couple figs where they could be improved.

I don’t have stress marks on any from either company, and I transform both quite a bit.

But yeah MS vinyl plastic is very though, they made a video of them stomping on their Prime to prove it.

However I don’t need to be able to stomp on a toy and don’t see that as a selling point.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    No but it's good to know if you keep some figures on high shelves. This way they won't break if they fall off during an earthquake or your cat deciding to chase a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cannot un-see sumo diaper.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Phase Sixer

News Credits:
    Most legends figs are pretty light and can survive a fall. But I have carpet so it’s a softer landing.

Eh, I just don’t like the vinyl plastic. I’ll deal with it because I like the sculpts, but the matte colors and texture of it are a negative in my book. And on top of that paint is sparse and that doesn’t help.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Ah I understand, I've been known to make paint improvements on some of them myself. IMG_7806b.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Phase Sixer

News Credits:
    Looks great, especially that trailer! Prime looks good too.

15. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1 too small
    2 too big
    3 way too big

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tismark

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    From the same video - height is maybe the single thing I’m happiest about. To me that’s about where I expect the car bots. 8A4523F5-AF21-4CAE-A99D-2DD87A5A6E14.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. FredVIII

FredVIII HUMAN GERM!

News Credits:
    Feel the same way about the glossy black. At first I was thinking I'd be hitting that with some flat clear coat, but then I noticed that the grey car bits look like they have a gloss to them as well.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.36.16 PM.png

So it looks like I might be hit the whole thing car body, but we'll see how it looks in hand. Agree about the headlight size as well, but my bigger gripe is the visible gap that's there. Gonna have to figure out something to do to fix that.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.42.52 PM.png

But overall, he looks better in this vid than in the pictures from yesterday. Would've been cool to see a comparison with NA Murphy. Glad to see how close the MST and NA headsculpts are in size if I want to headswap. (I'm warming to the MST head, but it's no NA.) Also glad to see the toon accurate upper arm and elbow colors, the elbow hinge joint, lack of panel behind the head, and the way the door wings hug the body more closely than the NA version. The NA door wings stick out farther making the upper body a bit too wide (IMO), which compounds the squatness issue. Happy to have a non-squat option in addition to a gorgeous car option. Would prefer both in one, but hey, that's life and today of all days I should be thankful for what I've got -- and what am I getting. :D 

Bonus pics with metallic MST OP:

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.44.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 4.56.35 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
  18. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, I can say I envy you. My non DX NA Jazz came with a stressmark on one of those super thin hinges, and the hinge itself is almost too stiff to move (the DX version is better for some reason). I have a similar problem with NA Cosmos.

19. Tismark

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    yeh I noticed the general gloss on this one and don’t like the change. I wonder what brought that change on?

A little sheen I can deal with but this is oddly shiny. Glossier than any bot shown alongside it.

missed the gap by the headlights..... (and on the fender) why?? I know the hinge for the wheels to swing up must be around there but it feels like they could have made the car body rounder and less boxy to give those things room. Cutting corners?

I’m probably still in for MST because it’s closer for me than the rest but I’m used to really liking their figures not just accepting them as the least bad choice...

PS I’ve warmed to Hoist after initial feelings about him, maybe the same will happen once I have one of this mold in hand...

• Like Like x 1
  20. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I do miss the door wingtips of the Newage one, and I'm very happy I bought Harry because he reminds me more of the toy (which I love), but the height kills the Newage figure. If some ko company would slightly bump the size of Newage I would be all over it

• Like Like x 3