Magic Square Toys Legends Optimus Prime 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ShylockZeuss, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Barebot

Barebot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Stryker729

Stryker729 That’s rough, buddy

I have no idea why they use that grainy paint… it annoyed me everytime I looked at Ken. IMG_5217.jpeg

Like, why?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    so they can put out another release in the future with flat silver paint and sucker you to buy yet another one to address your annoyance.

• Like Like x 6
  4. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    they could do a delta blue colors prime next, cause that should sell alot better than the Prime with silver and grainy windows...

heck, i am praying for a delta prime colors!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wh1tebase

Wh1tebase Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Delta prime with magnus armour 2.0 maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stryker729

Stryker729 That’s rough, buddy

I’m sure this current business model is great for them - they don’t really have to put much effort into the “new” decos, and people, despite grumbling about it, have bought up both the A/silver thighs and the EX/fully painted versions. I don’t see any reason for them to deviate from it from a business perspective.

They’ve completely lost me though. Creative/niche decos got me into toys as a child (UT, Universe, late night wave movie toyline repaints, etc). They got me into 3p Legends through Newage. I’ll be damned if I buy 40-70 (since apparently we’re just straight up charging Newage prices for unpainted nylon now - Grimlock) dollar toys that I don’t care to look at. Before they started doing A versions/EX versions, the number of true repaints they had was already pititful - 7 from 2021-2023 - but they haven’t done a single one since they kicked off EX.

I love their commitment to posability, I enjoy the high accessory count (which also got dropped, lol), I find myself enjoying their sculpts (for different reasons than I like Newage ones, but not moreso or less) and I’m apathetic towards the materials. But they don’t offer a single product that interests me anymore. Of course, I’m an absolute minority and I’m sure the target demographic could care less if Magic Square uses their stellar Jazz mold to make a Ricochet, or if they do Baldigus, or if they do so many more… but I do, and I can’t in good conscience buy their product, as impressive as it may be, if they won’t make things I enjoy.

7. Lub707

Lub707 Active Member

Thank you!

8. Wh1tebase

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Decided to use the decals i got from before and make a toy prime out of one of em. I stuffed up his left knee decal but overall happy with the overall results. I'm probably never gonna transform him in case it tears off a decal.
    20240516_215933.jpg 20240516_215939.jpg 20240516_215945.jpg 20240516_215950.jpg 20240516_215954.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  9. Majin29

Majin29 Legends Collector

Did you paint his bicep and his cab panel silver? Or is it gray? If so what specific color/brand did you use. I like it.

10. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    that’s pretty clutch, the yellow eyes on the silver face with minimal decals. this looks 50x better than their color choices this round. is the upper body darker?

11. Wh1tebase

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I used Tamiya Silver leaf for those bits! Its pretty close to the silver Magic square used.

The upper body is the same shade of red as previous releases, but the blue seems a bit lighter? Its a very minimal difference.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  12. magicube

magicube Legends Scale Collector

News Credits:
    I was initially sour on his release when I got him in hand. The colors have a lower saturation than previous releases but not enough to make it feel like a “toy” inspired version. Especially considering he’s missing the cab stripe. I think the matte grey face look should have been metallic silver as well. It’s an odd “in-between” type release that doesn’t commit to cartoon or toy.

IMG_6422.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6423.jpeg

I honestly picked this up entirely for the metallic blue windows since that is what I’ve wanted since the first release. The transparent windows look great but the paint chipping makes them a pain to transform.

Unfortunately, Magic Square used a far grainier paint than usual on this release. It in combination with the other altered colors makes this version look a bit off. I had planned to swap the chest of this release with the E version but I actually think the differing color saturations don’t work well together.

IMG_6430.jpeg

I also have noticed far more flashing and imperfections than on previous version. I managed to sand down the chest a bit to fit smoother but it’s frustrating to see such quick regression, especially when Magic Square released seemingly 30 repaints of their previous Optimus without issue.

IMG_6413.jpeg
    IMG_6411.jpeg

Despite these issue, the mold is still fantastic and I would recommend the release to anyone who hasn’t picked it up yet. The colors, while not it’s best, don’t look terrible and have actually grown on me. The matrix and it’s chamber are painted differently (and better imo). The eyes are also an improvement.

IMG_6428.jpeg

I think my favorite version remains the original release with its bright colors and crisp quality. The lack of painted windows make him easy and fun to transform!

IMG_6425.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  13. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Why yes, I do think Daniel Warren Johnson created the definitive Optimus Prime - how could you tell?

Too often do I find myself getting a new figure, playing around with it for a few days, and putting it on my shelf just to be ignored for months on end. Well, I want to change that, so to engage with these little “wallet nukes” more, I want to get into toy photography. I'm starting with what I consider to be my favorite figure in my collection: MS-B46 Light of Victory.

Hope y'all like the photos! I was obviously heavily inspired by Daniel Warren Johnson’s work as he created the ultimate incarnation of Optimus - he made me fall in love with the Transformers all over again. I also specifically wanted to capture that panel when he first deployed the energy axe; in my opinion, Johnson somehow turned a basically mandated figure accessory into one of the coolest TF weapons ever!

unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-6.jpg
    unnamed-8.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-11.jpg
    unnamed-7.jpg
    unnamed-9.jpg
    unnamed-10.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  14. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dope! Awesome pics.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TFDIRECT

TFDIRECT TFDIRECT

008DEcZlly1hqo0v2329vj335c2d04qq.jpg 008DEcZlly1hqo0v0lflij32d035cnpe.jpg 008DEcZlly1hqo0v7fll2j32d035c1ky.jpg 008DEcZlly1hqo0v3d3buj335c2d01ky.jpg 008DEcZlly1hqo0v673pxj335c2d0x6p.jpg 008DEcZlly1hqo0v4pwn0j32d035cx6p.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Majin29

Majin29 Legends Collector

The silver thighs look good. However, the overall figure is a let down because of the silver thighs. It looks off especially when his face and torso areas are still using gray. Now if those pieces were also silver then maybe it would have been more cohesive and better. This is not a true A version IMO. Usually their A version have their faces silver too.
    Inconsistent is Magic Squares middle name.