Magic Square MS-MB56 Tyrannosaurus Rex (Legends Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hougangkid, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Anduril74

Anduril74 Well-Known Member

Mine just arrived (UK), direct from MS. And what a figure! He's amazing! Bonkers how 'clean' he is. The most toon-accurate Grimlock at any scale. And seriously, there's nothing wrong with the yellow imo.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  2. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    agreed - I’m astonished at how some people aren’t completely over the moon for this figure.
    He IS the quintessential G1 cartoon Grimlock
    Blows NA away aesthetically
    What an amazing display presence

• Like Like x 7
  3. Anduril74

Anduril74 Well-Known Member

Totally. I honestly can't get over how clean he is. So few gaps, holes, screws, pinholes, etc. It's literal sorcery.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah this yellow is fine imo, but I can understand why other people would like a more saturated yellow. However, some of the pics shown in this thread are extremely pale yellow and don't represent the real color.

• Like Like x 3
  5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    he’s everything i’d like in a grimlock mold (personally) but i hesitate to say something can’t be improved on. i could do with some color adjustment and mainly, more hand poses. i feel like all main characters should have multiple expressive hand poses. others want more in the botmode.
    but to your point, he sick. absolutely licensed to ill.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine arrived today as well (UK, MS direct, just shy of 3 weeks which is longer than usual, and was getting worrying when the tracking was completely broken this time).

Anyway, good, but with some reservations.
    • The transformation and design in general is very clean, but the MS learning curve of finding that good order of operations where the process just flows wasn't completely successful this time. Integrating the leg panels was a clear attempt to one up NA, but there's just not an easy way to get everything folded up. It's certainly doable, but there's a lack or room to work that even infamous MS designs like Swindle or Megatron are able to offer. It did get better once I figured that by using the ab crunch, you can do the legs without touching the body, as initially the head and wings were flapping around on their stalks while I was busy working on the legs.
    • I'm not a sunbow person, but I continue to appreciate MS's drive to do Sunbow because of the engineering required to pull that off, and how clean the lines can be, such as in this case. Pulling out Legacy Tigerlock (who is very fun in his own way as a big, chunky and effective Grimlock), it surprised me how much greebling that figure had, even originating as a SS86 sculpt. At MP size, I'm not sure how I'd feel about how smooth and clean the lines are on MS Grimlock, but as a deluxe I do like it.
    • Accessories are good, minus the fish. That feels extraneous, but otherwise what is here feels almost like what is needed. Crown, weapons, flared hands for if you're going to leave him in a pose for a while, all good. The only missing thing is a flame effect, and I think that really feels missing because the attachment is explicitly built into his mouth. And it is transparently there to add value to some kind of redeco/rerelease in a year+ when this first version has dried up and it's time for MS to get more out onto the market.
    • This is minor, but I think this shows the limit on their default holding hand sculpt. On Prime/Megatron, I'm absolutely fine with it, but boosted by that little bit to Grimlock size, the hands give the impression that this is some kind of OSKO. The sculpt is a little too chunky at this size.
    • Joints could be toleranced better, there's nothing loose, but I'd say most would feel better being 10% tighter, but there's the occasional joint (such as the waist) that is too far in the other direction.
    • The yellow and the teeth are fine. Getting a symbol onto the chest does a lot to break up the big block of yellow anyway, while the teeth are interlocking triangles- they can't mesh perfectly unless one row has an odd number of teeth. Plus, it's not the gap that SS86 and his redecoes have in the front.
    • MS is absolutely trying to outdo NA, and we're better for it. He not only has knees in dino mode, but specific engineering to reverse the elbows and give him double knees. The inside of his legs are not only covered out of the box, but they're also integral to the transformation. The Rex arms fix whatever it was that NA was missing, and basically have all the basic movement I'd want from robot arms.
    • He's big, but also not as big as I was expecting? Putting him next to their Prime 2.0, he's a head taller but most of the visual size is in his proportions rather than strictly height. Which feels good, knowing he was bigger I was worried that this set would feel like out of place compared to the rest of their lineup.

• Like Like x 10
  7. ManelFigures

ManelFigures You can't hear the bass, but you can feel it.

Instagram:
    Thank you all! :lol  I'm very happy that my guide still helping people!.

• Like Like x 6
  8. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

He's really grown on me over the first day. After getting some big boys recently (Magmatron and especially MPM Bonecrusher), and it being a fair while since my last MS (Blastoff, I think?), I'd forgotten how nice it was to have a satisfyingly complex figure that isn't gigantic.

He's still not MS' best, since the transformation doesn't give itself the space to flow as smoothly as the best of their designs, but it's still up to their current standards, and a good time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    just got mine in

problems are the same as everybody else loose butterflies and the leg transformation

outside of that: pretty much perfect. imo this might be the single best Grimlock figure ever.

• Like Like x 4
  10. RameezTheElite

RameezTheElite Nemesis Prime Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I just got mine in:

While he looks amazing and his transformation is super fun and satisfying, his tolerances are TERRIBLE. Butterfly joints are the first to move whenever manipulating his arms. This makes his posing super weak in Trex mode as well. His shoulders are super weak on mine as well. Just turns hi into a floppy mess. Dino arm shoulder connection is also weak.

They nailed the tolerances on Optimus and the Combaticons but this release is one step backwards imo. Are all of these fixable? Yes, but it will take a ton of time to get them corrected and I shouldn't be in the position where I should have to

• Like Like x 4
  11. sr388

sr388 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried kiki or similar products on this figure already?

I am prepared for it when my figure arrives, but curious to know if the joints tolerance can be fixed with it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RameezTheElite

RameezTheElite Nemesis Prime Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Kiki will work, but if you apply too much it'll leave a clear stain, which is exactly what i'm trying to avoid

• Like Like x 1
  13. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lots of loose joints on this guy. Butterfly joints don't stay in well and constantly get in the way. The sliding joint for extending the dino legs is too weak and will easily collapse when messing with things. One of the knee joints on mine is very loose so I'm waiting for some super glue to dry so i can have some more friction there.

Other than that, looks like Grimlock.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

Yes I have applied kiki's to thicken up that peg a little bit on the butterfly joints to try to keep the connection a little tighter but there is only so much you can do. It is much better than before but frankly it still takes very little effort for the joint to untab and it pops out way too easily. I've also applied a little bit of kiki to the two hinges in the butterfly joint as well.

Edited to add: I also had a loose right knee, but that was a 1 second fix by just tightening the screw there probably about 1/4 turn. So no issue there for me. The dino leg extension having some way to lock would've been nice and it does collapse very easily. But overall I not too bothered by it and it's tolerable.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  15. JackTF

JackTF Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. TurtleCaps

TurtleCaps Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Is it me or is my Grimlock missing the elbow joint on his right arm? Can't seem to bend or move it all, and from the looks of the left arm, it's clearly different. Sent pics to bombusbee hoping for a solution. Anyone else have this problem?
    1000076389.jpg
    1000076391.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    he is not IMG_9952.jpeg IMG_9949.jpeg IMG_9948.jpeg IMG_9947.jpeg IMG_9946.jpeg IMG_9944.jpeg whipped up a little visual instruction sheet but you open up the arm and rotate at both the bicep swivel and a swivel hidden under the forearm to fix that

his arms can reverse like that so the dino knee can be double jointed

• Like Like x 8
  18. TurtleCaps

TurtleCaps Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. datterboy

datterboy Autobot Loyalist

Ebay:
    For those who like to "figure out" the transformation without reading the manual, I got big time stuck on figuring out the tuck in chest plate. So satisfying once it got worked out though.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rem48

Rem48 Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure it'll help, but it did for me. Grim is mistransformed out of the box. Following chuckcjc's steps to transform Grim correctly not only made his yellow shoulder tabs fit better and look nicer by almost eliminating any gap, it made his arms stay in place a little more instead of popping out at the shoulders easily. Worth a shot if you haven't tried already.

• Like Like x 1