Magic Square MS-MB56 Tyrannosaurus Rex (Legends Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hougangkid, Feb 7, 2024.

1. lollybot

lollybot Well-Known Member

There nylon material is tricky to get painted and I feel like they're still figuring it all out.
    And then on top of that, their tolerances for tabs are sometimes already so tight that to then have to account for a painted version just makes the whole thing so unpredictable.
    But I believe they hear the comparisons to newage's paint and finish and are trying to figure it all out.
    I personally prefer the matte finish on many of their figures in hand but the newage finish look really great in photos.
    To me, in hand the matte finish look like the cartoon and the newage finish look like toys.

• Like Like x 5
  2. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    Yes, but I really don't like New Age's Sculpts, and, frankly, I don't think their finish is that much better.

Then again, I have way more New Age than Magic Square figures, tho I will swing that balance in the opposite direction for some MS Toy Dinos, and I should get their Bruticus one of these days.

• Like Like x 3
  3. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Let's just hope we live that long!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Anduril74

Anduril74 Well-Known Member

We're fortunate enough to have thriving 3P market where both toon and non-toon looking figures are made. MS' entire philosophy is toon accuracy first and foremost, we all know this, and if it's not your thing, don't worry about it, you can shop elsewhere. But for me and many others, this is EXACTLY what we want.

How lucky that we have such choices :) 

• Like Like x 12
  5. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    Agreed 1000%
    Dang @GrimLocke I think this is the first time I’ve disagreed with you :( ​

• Like Like x 4
  6. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    I forgive you, even if you may never see the light.

• Like Like x 4
  7. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I got mine yesterday right from the Magic Square website (preorder)

• Like Like x 4
  8. datterboy

datterboy Autobot Loyalist

Ebay:
    Non-painted toys can be played with all day everyday and not suffer visual degradation. MS wins in this space. I don't transform my stuff over and over again but I like to know if I wanted to it would hold up. MS engineering is also superior IMO. I tend to stay away from the painted versions because they do not adjust the mold to account for the extra paint. They aren't trying to figure that part out, they are just being lazy and going for the money grab. Have had painted stuff break because of being too tight and pieces getting struck. Shame on you Magic Square for this.

Give me a non painted toy that looks like the finish of NA with MS Toys Engineering and I would be one happy camper.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JackTF

JackTF Active Member

Well, I used a tape in these pictures that can be found in a stationery shop.
    1024_IMG_20240515_202722.jpg 1024_IMG_20240515_202836.jpg 1024_IMG_20240515_202900.jpg 1024_IMG_20240515_203321.jpg
    Something is similar to this:
    Amazon.com
    and this:
    Amazon.com

Just cut a piece and paste it on a cutting board. Use a hobby knife to cut the shape you want. Then, use
    tweezers to pull off the cutting piece and put it on the toys.

The tape is easy to remove. You could try it as many times as you want.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Chrischzz

Chrischzz Well-Known Member

For me personally no, I like Sunbowing.
    The idea that teh toys actually look like the toon is what I always wanted. I could have never imagined that it would even be possible with certain figures though. But the fact that MS comes close to that with their toys is incredible.

Sure their materials and engineering doesn't appeal to some, I do like all of it.

• Like Like x 11
  11. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^^what he just said but you might want to add another year on top of that just to be safe. i don't think they will tip their hat until all the dinos have been released. because they might be worried about how the individual decos move. if people know about a metallic or whatever. they might sleep on the first runs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Sunbowing to a point. I like the figures to be modeled after the character sheet but there should still be some detail. NA did it well with their Grimlock but IMHO MST took it too far. I want it to look like the cartoon character come to life but not like a 3D representation of a bad drawing.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Agreed, it's one of the reasons I like MS figures. I understand why others would like more detail, but that's not what MS' philosophy is.

• Like Like x 5
  14. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    I did not say it needs to end forever.

I said I’d prefer that it didn’t dominate the scene.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's always either/or. All the companies are like, "Ooh, this sells well. Let's do absolutely nothing but that from now on." These days there's very little new stuff that isn't overly Sunbowed and basically nothing in Legends. Even NA's EX figures don't usually get much in the way of sculpt changes - just nice paint and a new headsculpt.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JackTF

JackTF Active Member

We have IronFactory, NewAge, and other companies which offer more details. But I cannot find a second company that has the unique toon style as MS toys. That is, you don't see many large pin holes or ball joints. The nylon material fits together well and you see less gaps. Every model has a unified proportion as in the Japanese super robot anime and is still transformable. I really appreciate that we have different choices.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  17. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's some stuff on the fringes besides Iron Factory, like MMC's Infinite Finity, BingoToys, Mechanical Skull Studios, FansHobby, TransArt, Robot Tyrant, and now Craftsman Toys doing a very Iron Factory like Computron.

But, still, those are fringes.

Some of that just comes down to structural issues in the market, GeeWunners just have more disposable income than younger fans, so the scene follows the money.

And, granted, I don't want an Evergreen Grimlock out of MB56, I just want a solid metallic or toy deco.

But, some more balance would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 3
  18. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

GIMME FULL BLING OR GTFO.... :p  Just kidding, this is MS we are talking about.

I would like a Toy version, but personally, i really dont want stickers / tampoos or even chrome, like what NA is doing.

Ideal for me would be that the "Toy" version be a fully painted (grey / red), and either a dark smoke bits or painted gold bit, and red eyes painted on all of them (not toy black or unpainted eyes), and all CONSISTENT (NOT like the toy line was for Swoop making inconsistent choice, and NA following on it too, or yellow robot eyes for sludge), and Red Swoop of course...

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  19. lizardj

lizardj Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    20240515_121200.jpg 20240515_123834.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  20. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I have the opposite experience in most cases with Magic Square. The original versions are loose, too loose (Grimlock certainly suffers from this). Its not until the more painted versions arrive that the tolerancing finally comes in on the less loose side. I have had Magic Square unpainted figures break. The misconception that the Nylon is going to make them indestructible is quite widely accepted in these parts.

• Like Like x 5