Magic Square Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Powerbomb

Powerbomb Nearly done?

MS wins this battle, apparently.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Galdelico

Galdelico Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I thought NA would win the robot modes but it looks like MS is just killing it with this Devastator all around. Love how these are looking muscled up. Wish we could get some of this in MP

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's a bit too soon, but it's looking really good so far! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great post and judging the pics. these guys look fantastic and thanks for posting these here.
    yeah that is what i am thinking as well. look how big they look infront of mags 2.0 i cant wait for these to drop.

• Like Like x 5
  6. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

Long Haul has a perfect chest,very G1 toy and toon head but for me the most important battle will be Scrapper vs Scrapper,is one of my favorite Transformers.NA Scavenger is perfect but MS proportions as legs ,not counting G1 toy seem even better.NA Hook legs instead are a good point by them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Magic Square just out here collecting dubs

Megatron, Menasor, Prime 2.0, now these guys

• Like Like x 2
  8. XBurner071

XBurner071 Burn Baby Burn!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  9. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

They nailed the aesthetic. The NA ones looked like cell drawings and these look like warriors!

• Like Like x 6
  10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yep, that's what I love about MS figures. Headsculpts aside, they're always imposing in stature with robust frames, like you'd expect the characters to be.

NA is really good at capturing the playful cartoon aesthetic, but I like these guys to look like they're actually up for fighting a millions of years war.

• Like Like x 7
  11. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They definitely have the bulky/heroic appearance Magic Square is known for. Good to know they'll look good as individual robots unlike Hulkie.

• Like Like x 2
  12. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, its an interesting choice. I think its cool, and appropriate given their Construction vehicle alt modes, though I'm guessing it will upset some scale purists who will think they're too big. Well, I think the size will work great with their Grapple and Hoist for folks want to re-create The Master Builders ep. But since the scale was all over the place in the cartoons, that's already too tall against the rest of the MS Decepticons. So I think between the two sets, there's something catering to everyone's tastes.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    gotta say i like the sculpt/propertions of the MS bots over NA, similar to how i liked their soundwave. combiner i'm also giving it to MS. now all that's left is the alt modes which they tend to falter on. but given construction vehicles are fairly blocky without too many sophisticated curved features. they did alright with the first two pairs, so hopefully they won't stray too far from the mark with the rest and they will have me hooked.

14. IronMachine

IronMachine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devy is my favorite combainer from g1 cartoon. When it comes to Devy as toy I looking for all his 3 modes (Constructicons, vehicles and Devastator) to look as best as it can be for me. Cartoon looks are mostly appreciated here but I will consider a more realistic appearance of the vehicle so then the rest of 2 modes. For now both versions Constructicons are good, some are more toon precise or less but they are still good. Now it's too early for me to judge which version I like better but for now MS is looking promising.

15. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Look pretty good, although I don't like Scavenger's chest at the moment, and they unwisely put a slot right where the Decepticon emblem is supposed to go.

• Like Like x 2
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah that's bugging me too. Chest might look fine when painted, but that slot is definitely a bummer. I like to place faction logos in their cartoon accurate spot whenever possible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't think about MS's tendency towards blockiness with their alt-mode designs; it really is a strength for figures like the Constructicons.

I wonder how Magic Square's designer would handle the Dinobots? They aren't as blocky in alt-mode, but they aren't slavishly faithful to real dinosaurs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  18. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

MS figures always look nicer and are sized better, but NewAge usually puts more thought into the overall packages with accessories, stands for the seekers, and increased articulation.

Ive purchased a few NewAge figures and while impressed, I wound up selling them for not scaling well. Im MS for pretty much everything except larger characters (NewAge does your Megatrons and Shockwaves and such at a decent size)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the far right behind the last figure you can see their Dragstrip's shoulder behind that one for another known reference point.

New Age is more accurate in almost all places (Mixmaster and Scrapper's arm wheels and Mixmaster's lack of windshield go to MS for accuracy, maybe how low Scrapper's scoop gets I'm not sure if NA can go lower), but at the same time Magic Square just looks better. I really like Long Haul's legs being filled out instead of thinned.

It isn't what I would want, but the animation model for Scavenger looks like it needs Magic Square's lower body with New Age's upper body for accuracy.

I find it interesting that Scrapper was blurred out on one of the new images instead of Scavenger or Long Haul since he had a full reveal before. Makes me wonder if it either got redesigned (if it is an old pic that just came out now) or is being redesigned now (if it is a current picture).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

Def MS for me, since I do not collect NA and IMO they do look a lot better.
    Hope we see it finished this year

• Like Like x 3