Magic Square Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jan 29, 2019.

1. RootNegative

RootNegative Well-Known Member

I used a razor to slightly enlarge the hole. There was no way I was going to press any harder and it wasn't going. Now it fits just fine. Definitely a mistake on the design with that post/hole size.

• Like Like x 2
  2. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first time was super tight. 2nd time was firm, but the left peg is so short i worry about the long term and how it’ll hold up if it loosens up any more. but i guess the lat piece will help hold things in place if it does worsen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  4. KH319er

KH319er amused observer

Yeah, my first time connecting the two there was some resistance. I had to tab in Long Haul's mini cab into Hook's chest and rotate that joint a bit to loosen it up.

Now I can connect the two bots painlessly as long as I ensure that the black post and the mini cab are in their correct positions. This means doing one and checking that it's in place, repeating with the other side, and then adjusting both sides. It needs some time and TLC.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like a glove.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

OJ's glove, maybe.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  8. bastionsux

bastionsux Well-Known Member

i’m gonna take this nice and slow… 1 bot per week. i really wanna get the feel and transformation for each figure before combining them. i’m ecstatic at the moment.
    2165EE1C-E2BE-4E68-95AE-9DF63FCABEE4.jpeg

• Like Like x 21
  9. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    If there's one benefit to getting the sets staggered out by months, it's that ⬆☝⬆

When you do get to combine them, it's really not all that bad... enjoyable and fun, actually.

• Like Like x 8
  10. bastionsux

bastionsux Well-Known Member

scrapper is the first bot i’m messing with. i was surprised i was actually able to transform him with no instructions, except for the knees. i wasn’t expecting them to extend out like that. but everything else was pretty intuitive imo. not easy but definitely not super hard, i’m sure a couple more times and it will be quite enjoyable

really excited to combine them. i hope i’ll be able to get devy into some really nice poses

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I watched Bobby's Vs video and wondered to myself if he got a bad KO or factory reject.

Like many, my copy is rock solid in combined mode and has no signs of wanting to fall apart like his did in the video. For me the worst part of the combination was getting Hook and Long Haul to stay connected without Hook popping out of combined mode. A little sanding on the Long Haul's combiner pegs and it's a very nice tight fit.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same thing kind of happened with him and MP-52. Which while the mold did have issues that were fixed with the repaints, Bobby's was downright missing ratchet joints.

• Like Like x 2
  13. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    or it could be BSF is a complete trash reviewer. he is so heavy handed and bias that it doesn't even seem real at times. with everything he reviews i am amazed he doesn't break more figs than he actually does.

• Like Like x 12
  14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, it's clear that he has his favorite companies and ones he doesn't (honestly we all do), while I haven't watched his devastator review I get the feeling his pre-conceived notions of Magic Square worked against him on this one. Heck to get mine rock solid in combined mode all I had to do is watch a couple of those "perfect transformation" stop motion videos.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Memo224

Memo224 Well-Known Member

I freaking love this combiner. Check out my review where I go through the entire transformation!

• Like Like x 8
  16. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

Even if he was my best friend, I would not hand him 1 of my figures.
    I just watch to see him break stuff or mis transform them.
    Dude is even too lazy to watch the chinese video of the transformation or to read the manual.
    Agree that he can be biased and for a reviewer that is not good but fun to watch.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Corvus13

Corvus13 Member

In the essence of fairness, he is not the only person who has said that the transformation is a nightmare, and several users in this very thread have echoed the assertion that the instructions are not helpful. Those are fair criticisms of the figure. And as for the joints, the man can only review the figure he has in his hands. Yes, there are MS Devys with perfectly toleranced joints, but the one he had absolutely did not. That is either bad luck, or MS has an issue with consistency. With regards to the heavy-handedness, what is he supposed to do, get new hands? Having to manipulate figures in complex ways while filming them is not an easy task in the first place, let alone with hands like his, so dragging him for that is a bit disingenuous.

• Like Like x 4
  18. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it’s not about his hands limiting what he can do as a reviewer. it’s moreso him not following the instructions, watching other reviews, nor spending enough time to understand how joints and parts are supposed to move to go from one mode to another.

i found the instructions perfectly serviceable, and eventually found my way around the different modes. i missed a few fitment/tolerance/alignment issues, but seeing everyone’s pictures, feedback, and yt reviews helped me understand what i can/should do, and i was able to address those issues soon after. and i’m not even a pro reviewer, just a collector who did my due diligence to figure things out.

i see those complaining about his complexity, but i often wonder what types of figures they owned before this. i come from a background of collecting mainline, all the MP/MPM molds, and a bunch of 3p figures, and these guys are nowhere as complex as those figures. as a matter of fact, i feel he has the best balance between fun/complexity/durability/playability: the nylon is durable enough to tolerate some hamfistedness, not much paint to worry about scratching up, and the transformation is complex enough to keep him from getting too frustrating or boring after awhile. but that’s just my own opinion. i can see those that came strictly from mainline figures and other legends scale figures as being intimidated by ms devy.

• Like Like x 9
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's a Devastator with serious shelf-appeal. I'd wager there is a good number of people getting their toes wet in the 3rd party legends waters, for the first time, because of this guy. There's going to be newcomers who aren't going to expect things to be this complex and this small, nor know the unhelpful charm of 3p instructions. And there are definitely new and unfamiliar names in this thread. It's all part of the fun.

Shoot, I know DX9's Devastator set is what got me into them years ago, and here we are today.

• Like Like x 11
  20. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I have DX9 Hulkie, a ko G2 Hulkie, MT Giant, and New Age Devastator also. I have never had the trouble of combining them that I am having with Magic Square's.
    Hook's back half will not stay closed, no matter what I try The black connector between Hook and Long Haul is great and will stay together just fine, the other side, absolutely will not stay in, pressing as hard as I can. Even if I squeeze the sides as much as I can, the chest plate and head will not stay down. At this point, I have hook and long haul together and not even plugged into the waist.

I hate this one and its keeping me form getting him totally combined.

I have never had these problems with any other Legends figures, and I pretty much have only bought Legends size 3p.

• Like Like x 1