Magic Square Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Galdelico

Galdelico Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was thinking about it last night, while rearranging my collection (covid times friday nights, lol) and I realized how I had zero QC issues throughout the whole set. Not a single problem with squad bots and gestalt mode either. I'm sure plenty of good folks will make sure to state I've just been lucky XD but to me personally that's a very remarkable achievement.

The combining process was taxing, but then this is a case scenario where I applaud MST choice to go with nylon, as you can really go face-to-face with tabs and pins, pretty much without fear. I've seen more than one picture of Devastator looking all kinds of goofball and undone, and peple complaining the figure didn't come together, but I suspect that wasn't entirely due to QC.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Well-Known Member

Qc is perfect. It's just super tricky and I was frustrated. I got there in the end and it was not fun. But at the same time I really appreciate the engineering.

Agreed on the nylon use. There are tabs that hold major parts of the transformation in place. The rubbery nylon Flex is necessary to hold things together. Last transformers I played with that has this many tabs is Maketoys combiners and I was not happy how the tabs did nothing to hold things in place.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Same with my set, not a single issue at all :thumbs2:  Combining was a lot of fun for me (I like intricate transformations), but yeah it needs some focus and patience. People, keep your head cool, start Golden "Transformers Jesus" Zen tutorial, grab a beer and there should be no problem at all :cool: 

• Like Like x 4
  4. Galdelico

Galdelico Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have to say, Golden Zhen videos can be deceptive at times. I'm not sure if he works things out beforehands, but everything goes so annoyingly smooth and flush during his transformations, while in reality my fingertips get mauled... :D 

I had to resort to another source to actually understand how to connect the partsforming hips to Longhaul. Golden Zhen made it look so effortless, while I was genuinely
    WTF.gif
    Ha, I didn't know that! Golden skills indeed then. :D 

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Us Dutchies when we've managed to combine Devy:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Do you know that Golden Zhen's review videos are actually edited from his weekly live streams, where he reviews 3-4 figures at a time, as well as chat with viewers watching his stream, in between each figure?

That means he already plan out what he wants to show and say, because his review videos are pretty much the same as the live streams, he just cuts out the chatter with his viewers later on. Even the comparison photos/slides that you see in his videos are all done live on his stream and not during the editing later.

To do that not just for 1 figure, but 3 or 4 at a time, I salute him. He knows his shit.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone Facesculpt Enthusiast

I must echo this sentiment on QC. Six figures, no floppy/frozen limbs, no misassemblies, no missing parts and no blemishes. Combined mode has perfectly tensioned articulation at every joint including the fingers and is stable as a rock in any pose I want. I freaking love this set.

• Like Like x 6
  8. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a lot of times it’s just transforming a figure a few times and really understanding where parts/tabs go, as opposed to blindly following the instructions verbatim. once you know where things should go, it gets smoother over time. i’m almost certain most competent reviewers have transformed them enough to be familiar for a smoother recording.

tolerance is solid for the most part. i just wish the combined left knee was stiffer, but i’m sure i can fix that with future. that’s the only thing stopping me from being able to claim there’s zero qc issue with my set.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Iirc, his knees are screwed and you can just tighten the screws.

• Like Like x 1
  10. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    haha that’s was the first thing i tried, got it as tight as i was comfortable with without stripping the plastic. thanks for the call out though!

11. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

I don't think the screw in there serves to tighten the joint, because I tightened the screw so much it wouldn't budge anymore, and it had zero effect on the tightness of the joint.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh. I'm pretty sure I remember tightening the screws and getting his knee joints tighter. There's always a limit, though, and if a joint is still loose once you've tightened as far as it can safely go, you don't want to keep pushing it - that's how you end up with stripped screws. Fwiw, I had that problem with my IT Megatron - his shoulder couldn't hold the arm in an outward position because of the weight of the cannon. I tightened the screws as much as I could and it wasn't enough. My solution was to open the joint up and put a layer of 1mm foam on either side of the joint and then close it and tighten it back up. Holds the arm great now. I haven't opened Devy's knees so I don't know if that'd work here but just throwing it out there.

• Like Like x 3
  13. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    happy to finally get set C along with a big shipment of toys today to tie me over the CNY shutdown the next 2 weeks. got my replacement head for bonecrusher, and the replacement leg as well, which my supplier said MS after sales support initially wasn't willing to provide to me. :rolleyes:  but with some persistence i asked my supplier to be more forcefully in asking for the leg to be included as well, and they eventually did.

fingers crossed there's no more QC issues to "devastate" my enjoyment of being able to finally combine them.

PXL_20220130_173332638.jpg PXL_20220130_175223837.jpg PXL_20220130_175255969.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  14. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    What was the problem with your Bonecrusher’s leg? I’m waiting for a replacement as well as mine has a cracked pin joint in the lower leg cover.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    it was discoloured with residual purple bits melted into part of the thigh. there was a minor issue with the replacement leg as well, as it had a lower panel that was completely off coloured with a tint of orange/brown to it. but i was able to pop out the pin for the foot assembly and swap it out from the existing leg i had, so now the installed leg is perfect.

though a pain, in the end this extra bonus of a spare leg i have now will help give me something to test with for the custom painting i want to do to the inner mechanics of the tracks for both bonecrusher and scavanger. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  16. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    PXL_20220131_150807713.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  17. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  18. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well so far I only got my Scavenger & Bonecrusher two pack, also gotta love they can hold the big hands haha.
    Enjoy the pictures, they're also up on my Twitter, same @ as here.
    Oh also seems they're Bumblebee Scout/Deluxe size, and there they are next to my recent commission custom of G1 Shockwave.
    Forgot I got the MS Megatron as well hehe.
    20220131_003737.jpg 20220131_005139.jpg IMG_20220131_012827_509.jpg IMG_20220131_010130_581.jpg IMG_20220129_185748474.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. sRKI

sRKI Well-Known Member

Could somebody measure Devy's height when it is maximally extended in hips/knees or even better both tallest and shortest height?

• Like Like x 1
  20. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Legs together:
    -tallest 10 1/8th or 25.7cm
    -shortest 9 7/8ths or 25cm

Pretty much a 1/4 inch difference

• Like Like x 2